How to reduce unit size proper?

Question for moders

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
Aner1181

How to reduce unit size proper?

Post by Aner1181 »

Hello.

As you probably know, infantry units looks bigger than some vehicles and tanks in Ra, D2K and Tiberian Sun mods. Can anybody help me with the question how to reduce units size properly in this mods? Should I use SHP Builder, or some other tool? Any manuals how to do it? :?

Great thanks for help!

Nolt

Post by Nolt »

You're going to have to use some image editing program to be able to reduce the size of the shp.You could also use the resize option of the shp builder, but personally I don't consider it that good, it kinda reduces the quality of the shp.

On the other hand, you can code a new size using the "Scale" tag on the "RenderSprites" trait, but it doesn't work that well on infantry, as their death animation is going to play on the original scale. Neither it will work on buildings, as it makes their buildup flicker (it moves a little when the anim is about to finish). It works fine on SHP vehicles tho, I use it on some mechs and it works fine, as long as it doesn't have custom animaitons, otherwise you'll have to do it anually, without code.

jaymanxyz

Post by jaymanxyz »

Check out this thread from a couple of years back. It's old, but BaronofStuff's method still works perfectly, resizing almost every infantry in the game (except the sniper and one civilian type). As for D2k and TS, as far as I know it's something that we have to live with.

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Use a proper image editor. Do not use RenderSprites>Scale.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

Aner1181

Post by Aner1181 »

Thanks for help guys. Fixed size sniper, zombie and ants looks amazing! :oops:

Can you help me with the noob question, where is D2K infantry units and how to extract them? OpenRA\mods\d2k\bits - contains nothing. :?

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

They are probably in "Content\d2k\DATA.R8". Not sure how to extract them from there though.

Aner1181

Post by Aner1181 »

Thanks abcdefg30.

Impossible to extract this DATA.R8. Any suggestion how to do it? :\

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

I remember a good while ago that I got OpenRA.Utility extracting stuff from it. Don't ask me how though.The other tool I know of messes up canvas sizes so that's pretty bad for extracting imo.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

Aner1181

Post by Aner1181 »

Thanks for your answers guys,

I can't extract DATA.R8 with OpenRa.Utility. And I will be very grateful if some kind person will share with me the proper commands for utility, or even step-by-step instruction? Or maybe somebody already did it and have fixed-size infantry units? :?

If somebody looking for proper-size units for openra, use link below. Sniper and zombie included now!
Attachments
Openra_fixed_Infantry.zip
Fixed size Red Alert mod infantry (to 75% like in C&C mod). Zombie and sniper shps included. Enjoy!
(269.8 KiB) Downloaded 370 times

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Sorry for the late answer, I completely forget about this!

You can extract DATA.R8 (to pngs) using "OpenRA.Utility.exe d2k --png <path to DATA.R8> <path to PALETTE.BIN>". (PALETTE.BIN is used mostely, I think.)

WARNING: THIS WILL CREATE AROUND 4840 PNGS!

C*m*a*e

Post by C*m*a*e »

I agree. Big infantry units in RA mod (despite TD mod) looks annoying. Good news is this option probably will be fixed in next releases: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/11650

MustaphaTR

Post by MustaphaTR »

Data.R8/R16 can be edited with resource editor program comes with Gruntmods Edition of D2K.