Trainingsmissions

an idea to teach micro

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
noobmapmaker

Trainingsmissions

Post by noobmapmaker »

I should make these maps myself, but unfortunatly I lack the skills and lately also time (work work work).

It would be great if we would have some kind of campaign that teaches microing to new players. They have to be small missions that are only winnable when you use the proper micro. Examples:

Objective: make way for the transport!
Mission: you start with a transport and one sub. There are 5 destroyers individually waiting in front of the shore. One by one you have to destroy them by manouvering around when they shoot.

Objective: destroy the opponent's base
Mission: you start with a small base near an enemy. There's an ore patch without ore-mine so your money will run out. Just building units and attack wont be enough. Solution: pack up your MCV and base push.

Objective: clear the opponents bio-lab from anti air units.
Mission: you've got 2 hinds + a repairpad. Several isolated rocketinfantry(groups)+riflemen and flack trucks guard a bio-lab. Kill them by taking out the groups one by one, sometimes repairing them.

Objective: destroy the missile silo
Mission: the allies have got a pretty strong base with defensive structures and a line of artillery. A countdown runs. You've got just enough time to use 2 iron curtains: one to curtain flak trucks and knock out the artillery + 1 to curtain APCs filled with flamethrowers. The artillery is in reach of the missile silo so curtaining the APC is not enough because the infantry gets killed.

And there can be many more missions to teach the use of special units like the chrono tanks, the chronosphere, MAD tank...

Who has the time & skills? :)
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server