[Mod][Wip] Third Faction, Naval Warfare+

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
Inq

[Mod][Wip] Third Faction, Naval Warfare+

Post by Inq »

Hey guys I have been playing Openra on and off for a while. Inspired by KaneCvr's mod (who has been absent for quite a while) I finally started modding it myself.

My mod adds a third faction and all three factions will have two sub factions.

The new faction is Axis and is pretty much a precursor of NOD (Not the third reich), I don't really have the plot tied down yet but as it stands just now its:

--------------

Einstein went back in time and killed Hitler, So sooner or later someone would go back in time and kill Stalin and the Soviet leaders.
This solves the "Red Alert" problem, but it displaces Kane as Stalin's aid. So Kane goes to Germany seeking power. He quickly gains political influence and control but insted of starting a war there and then he waits and plays new rival super powers US and Russia against each other.
He eventually gains some economic influence and military contracts within both nations. Then bides his time... Waiting for the right time to strike!

--------------

The Factions currently are:

Allies

United States
United Kingdom*

Soviets

Russia
Ukraine*

Axis

The Brotherhood*
The Blackhand*

* Subject to change

-------------

All factions will have blend of old units and buildings (both td and ra) and new units, Plus subfaction special units and minor super weapons (airstrikes etc)

I'll post later what units I've added so far, for now I'll tease my WIP Naval units:

I wanted an aircraft carrier but the scale of the original ships is very small, so i'm remaking all the naval units to a bigger scale. I put some of the old units in the picture for size comparison.

-The aircraft carrier is functional but is going to be reworked. (I'm not happy with the angle its at)

-The aircraft is an F-14,

-The Typhoon submarine needs the water added to its shp,

-The Battle Cruiser needs polished + its water finished. The turrets also need shadows.

Hopefully someone is interested :lol:

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Why don't you use the voxels themselves?
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

Inq

Post by Inq »

Graion Dilach wrote: Why don't you use the voxels themselves?
I'm trying to keep the TD/RA art style. I feel it has a certain charm to it.

Norman_

Post by Norman_ »

:pirate: nice units

Inq

Post by Inq »

Norman_ wrote: :pirate: nice units
Thanks, most are public voxel's converted to shp and touched up by hand.

As promised here are some new unit screens.

US Base:

Russian Base:

- Ships and sub's still need water added.

- Cruiser has triple turret now (like in the RA cutscenes)

- New Hind & Su27 needs cleaned up

- New Orca (+A10 - not in pic) need redone

- SU-25 and RPG infantry are made by White (from cnc net)

- Scud launcher is the V2 replacement in my mod timeline

- M110 Arty remake is a public release shp - This unit will prob end up being moved to Axis and Allies will get the MLRS

- Longbow is a public shp, not made by me

- Prisim tower is Ion tower in my timeline - US specialty will be Ion weaponry

Thats all for now! The longer I spend on this post the less time I spend modding :lol:

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

The voxel "touchups" look horrible. They just got washed out like crazy.

You coulda use the voxels themselves and retexture them to give 'em a RA1 look, then play with the Light* settings to make them fit.

Inq

Post by Inq »

Graion Dilach wrote: The voxel "touchups" look horrible. They just got washed out like crazy.

You coulda use the voxels themselves and retexture them to give 'em a RA1 look, then play with the Light* settings to make them fit.
Yea... I'm not a fan of voxels. I will try and clean them up a bit (esp the ships)

On the other hand, fraps seems to increase my ingame brightness when i take screenshots which adds to everything looking washed out. This is the screen shots after being doctered to add some more contrast.

Inq

Post by Inq »

Well for anyone that cares:
Got bandicam because fraps was making the screen shots look terrible.

Heres some new/old units for Russia.
Mammoth Tank will start with one barrel(mk1), Can upgrade the tank production to the 2 barrel version (mk2) or tesla turret.

I got other stuff going on atm so progress is slow. Hopefully finish the Kirov cruiser, and infantry soon. :z

Edit:
I forgot, What do you think of the flame effect? keep it? or should I stick with westwood napalm?

Holloweye

Post by Holloweye »

That explosion effect looks badass!

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Ah, a DonutArnold explosion. I see where you took that from. 8)

I'm still not certain if I like the shpified voxels though.

Inq

Post by Inq »

Graion Dilach wrote: Ah, a DonutArnold explosion. I see where you took that from. 8)

I'm still not certain if I like the shpified voxels though.
Yep been playing with some of the public release effects; donutarnold's, apollos plus WW TS and RA2 ones.

jaymanxyz

Post by jaymanxyz »

Impressive work!

Inq

Post by Inq »

Super weapons!,

Chaos Bomb:

Chemical Missile:

Perhaps a bit Cliche, but I don't care :lol:

Edit: Ignore the jiving infantry, sequences bit messed up. :lol:

flamewh33l

workable stage?

Post by flamewh33l »

hey, nice work on your modding man, really impressed with it :)

i was wondering where is there a download for it so we are able to see how your getting on with it? i'm interested how the Aircraft Carrier works for the game :D

if you can't do that then may i ask about the YAML code used for it? i fancy having a aircraft carrier of my own to mess around with, but i was hoping to obtain a general basis of how it functions so i can mess around with it :P

anyway, nice work so far man, keep up the good work

Inq

Re: workable stage?

Post by Inq »

flamewh33l wrote: hey, nice work on your modding man, really impressed with it :)

i was wondering where is there a download for it so we are able to see how your getting on with it? i'm interested how the Aircraft Carrier works for the game :D

if you can't do that then may i ask about the YAML code used for it? i fancy having a aircraft carrier of my own to mess around with, but i was hoping to obtain a general basis of how it functions so i can mess around with it :P

anyway, nice work so far man, keep up the good work
Hey, it's not available for download, it was made for an old version of OpenRA. I never finished the mod as I kept having setbacks & besides I was never happy with the terrain/unit clipping caused by being unable to make a units size larger than one cell.

The aircraft carrier worked like a mcv that deployed into an airfield, (it faced the correct direction & then swapped from being a unit into being a building, although the shp was identical) this gave the illusion & option to build F14's on a portable naval airfield. ;)