Mission: Killtank

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
epice

Mission: Killtank

Post by epice »

BRIEFING:
The soviets forced a scientist to develop a mammoth tank with a build in Iron Crutain. Its unstoppable, except the scientist managed to build in a fail-safe, it had to be something the soviets would overlook. He put in a kill limit.

Once the tank has destroyed enough to collect a $10,000 bounty it will self-destruct. The scientist destroyed the research facility along with himself, so this is the only killtank the soviets will ever get.

The only way to beat it, is to throw waves of men at it. Unfortunately, that would weaken the allies severely to lose so many. So we need to do something, unimaginable, unforgivable.

We must use civilians as cannon fodder.

Lead the tank to the local towns and cities, keep our men safe to take out the soviet base when the killtank is destroyed.

God forgive us.
Ok so if I make a map can someone do the programming to make this shit work? I figure a really tall map with a allied base at the top, soviet at the bottom. Allied base is cut off by a river and destroyed bridge, soviet base heavily defended so you cant attack till reinforcements arrive which happens after the killtank is dead.

Allies have a small base with GPS, dome, some power plants helipads and a service depot. We give them some choppers and light tanks to help lead the killtank places. A transport to move across the river and some boats to help defend against the attacks from regular soviet units.

Matt

Post by Matt »

This is horrible and tasteless. Reading this and other sick ideas sometimes makes me think I should not invest my free time improving a cruel war game.

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

What the hell, man. :/

Can someone just delete this thread. I think we can safely add this "mission" to 'worst decisions made in 2014'.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Wow, politics.

It's a fucking game, lighten up. Or may the goasts of thousands of pixels haunt you.

Edit:
Sometimes I think people conveniently overlook/forget some of the original Nod/Soviet missions in C&C/RA95. You know the ones, where you are actively commanding your units to raze towns and murder all the civilians? At least this one's passive. Stop crying over some 10x10 SHP files for fuck's sake.

PersianImmortal

Post by PersianImmortal »

BaronOfStuff wrote: Wow, politics.

It's a fucking game, lighten up. Or may the goasts of thousands of pixels haunt you.

Edit:
Sometimes I think people conveniently overlook/forget some of the original Nod/Soviet missions in C&C/RA95. You know the ones, where you are actively commanding your units to raze towns and murder all the civilians? At least this one's passive. Stop crying over some 10x10 SHP files for fuck's sake.
Or the mission in TS were you use civilians as fodder/bait to lure the tiberian monsters into killing the GDI, and yep there are tons of missions were you wipe out civilian villages.

I like the mission idea, it's dark and it shows how terrible war can really be.

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

You'd almost think there was a reason I preferred using the GDI and Allied.

I've never liked doing this shit, so guess exactly what happened. May've been scarce back then, but eventually savefiles popped up for missions afterwards.

If it soldiers vs soldiers, then I can understand, it IS a wargame. But I do not and never have liked killing civilians, directly or otherwise.

epice

Post by epice »

Jeez you guys its just a video game.

Tark

Post by Tark »

Speedy wrote: You'd almost think there was a reason I preferred using the GDI and Allied.

I've never liked doing this shit, so guess exactly what happened. May've been scarce back then, but eventually savefiles popped up for missions afterwards.

If it soldiers vs soldiers, then I can understand, it IS a wargame. But I do not and never have liked killing civilians, directly or otherwise.
That's really cool, but I'm afraid your views on it mean absolutely nothing. If they guy wants to make his mission, he can make his mission, that's that. I for one think it's pretty interesting and definitely not something unprecedented in the C&C series; there's a cheat that turns Ore into civilians in RA.

It's a game, don't cry over it, especially don't cry over how someone else wants to play it.
Cmd. Matt wrote:
This is horrible and tasteless. Reading this and other sick ideas sometimes makes me think I should not invest my free time improving a cruel war game.
Good to know a developer who has contributed a significant amount of work into a recreation of a game(s) is apparently unaware of the storyline and missions of said game(s) being recreated. And is willing to throw away that work because someone had an idea.

Hiro

Post by Hiro »

Wow, careful guys, words can hurt y'know. Tolerance is letting someone speak their bit without attacking them whether you agree with them or not. And that goes both ways. Can we have a discussion rather than a fight please? :\

I for one welcome the creativity of having a custom map revolving around a unit that cannot die until it has killed X units/X credits worth of units, even if it comes in the form of a dark moral dilemma I don't necessarily agree with; it's novel, which is good. Sure it's distasteful but I think that was the point with the "we need to do something unimaginable, unforgivable" deal.
I'm not sure if OP would be keen to tweak the idea much, but for what it's worth I think it might feel better if there were more stated alternatives? For example, if you are good enough to defeat the enemy forces despite them having an invulnerable mammoth tank then well played. If you can produce enough units that die to the mammoth tank such that the mammoth tank dies, you can spare the civilians. Or if you're a cold calculating commander you can use the civ.s as cannon fodder; the soviets were likely going to kill them all anyway. I guess for those to work you would need to take out the idea of getting reinforcements once the tank is dead and instead let the player build up their own army (so a good player could win by distracting the tank while they kill the enemy base), although that would take away the "survival with limited resources by using alternative means" aspect of the mission, which would make sacrificing the civilians morally even worse and change the tone of the mission significantly. Just my 2c, take it or leave it. :)

Petrenko

Post by Petrenko »

Yeah stop politics when playing games except for propaganda-games.

What i hate is:

"I got idea but won't do anything more then sharing the idea and wait for someone else to hopefully do it" - Which almost never happens.
Hail to the soviets!

Hiro

Post by Hiro »

Yeah that is rare. Would be cool to see the map from OP; might be a good excuse to learn Lua am I right? :)