"Slow and strategic" mod

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
Mike_

"Slow and strategic" mod

Post by Mike_ »

(Forgive my poor English, I have learned German in the school - very studied decision… )

The main goal of my mod is to create new type of slow strategic rts, that will have many strong elements from :

- autumn dynasty: www.autumndynasty.com/
- massive assault: http://massiveassaultnetwork.com/man2/screenshots.php
(yes, it is turn based, but some nice rules can be taken)
- ironcrosswargame: http://www.ironcrosswargame.com/

Main idea is to make rts game less arcade and more strategic. Less micromanagement and routine repeated actions, but more deep strategic combinations, like in “massive assault” game. it means very big attention to units slow movement, terrain types, "cities" capture. Someone played "world of tanks" ? My mod differers from classic rts, like world of tanks differs from quake 3. More slow, strategic, smart. And if we will make all things right, this mod will be surely successful, like world of tanks is successful.

The first stage of my mod needs:

1. Make openra engine option, that unit’s damage can depend on terrain type under the unit.
Now only units speed can depend on terrain type
(- Mobile: TerrainSpeeds: Clear: 60,Road: 100,…)
Using this option I can make special «forest units», «mountains units», special «plain terrain units» etc.

2. Make very slow unit speed possible in openra engine. Now speed is integer and cannot be less, that 1( for example – 0,5 or 0,3 will set speed to 0). To make it possible, next algorithm can be used: if speed (with terrain multiplayer) is less, then 1, then remainder can be accumulated in the special buffer. When this buffer accumulated 1, it will reset and unit moves to 1 cell.

3. New type of building capture must be made . When your units stand near enemy building and there is no enemy units near this building – capture process is beginning. Capture progress bar is activated. More units causes faster capturing. When enemy units lately go near this building, progress bar freezes. All of the numerical parameters in this algorithm must be changeable.

4. Make openra engine option, that unit’s weapon damage can depend on unit’s current helth. It will reduce annoying units micromanagement – manually killing enemy units “one after the other” will be almost unnecessary.

5. Unit icon in front of factory , that displayed what kind of unit is producing there in current time. It is optional, but it will be very comfortably, when you producing 7-15 units on different factories at one time

I’m planning to create my mod in two stages. Second stage will have upgrade system and «unit collision system» like in ironcrosswargame. But this options are not the main futures and can wait, until first stage will be ready and will be good playable.
Last edited by Mike_ on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kanar

Post by Kanar »

> 3. New type of building capture must be made . When your units stand near enemy building and there is no enemy units near this building – capture process is beginning. Capture progress bar is activated. More units causes faster capturing. When enemy units lately go near this building, progress bar freezes. When some of your troops (in capture army) is killed - progress bar decreased in proportion. All of the numerical parameters in this algorithm must be changeable.

Good one.

> 4. Make openra engine option, that unit’s weapon damage can depend on unit’s current helth. It will reduce annoying units micromanagement – manually killing enemy units “one after the other” will be almost unnecessary.

Good one!

Matt

Re: "Slow and strategic" mod

Post by Matt »

Mike_ wrote: 3. New type of building capture must be made . When your units stand near enemy building and there is no enemy units near this building – capture process is beginning. Capture progress bar is activated. More units causes faster capturing. When enemy units lately go near this building, progress bar freezes. When some of your troops (in capture army) is killed - progress bar decreased in proportion. All of the numerical parameters in this algorithm must be changeable.
There is ProximityCapturable which you can enhance for your needs.

Mike_

Post by Mike_ »

Cmd. Matt wrote: There is ProximityCapturable which you can enhance for your needs.
Yes, i've seen ProximityCapturable and it can be upgraded.
I think, creators of mini-games (with RA mod maps) also will want to use this capture algorithm.

Phrohdoh

Post by Phrohdoh »

Request #1 exist now as TerrainModifiesDamage.

The implemented example should help.

Holy_Master

Post by Holy_Master »

Sound like promise mod but something still bug me.

2. I wonder if current ORA isn't super slow enough? and it even have 0.3 second delay command each time you order your unit. which is annoy as hell however current ORA speed is quite acceptable and i can't see any benefit to make the game slower than it is. should be better to make super large map with many thing on it that can help your army turn tide of battle.

3. Proximity Capture seem to be best idea in your list but what benefit you plan by using this feature? for proxy your base? , Generate resource? , Generate victory point? ,Territory domination which provide everything from previous list?

I want to ask more but your concept still not clear enough to make me see what final result you plan for it. but i suggest you to check the game like Total Annihilation or Supreme commander if you try to improve strategic to your mod, and check Company of heroes , Grey goo if you try to improve tactical.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Mike_ wrote: Someone played "world of tanks" ? My mod differers from classic rts, like world of tanks differs from quake 3.
Played it all too much... please don't include units which are as OP in this as the old Hellcat or KV-1S were in older releases of WoT!

Mike_

Post by Mike_ »

Hellcat was my favorite tank in WOT last yaer. Like german Pz-4 early.
Of course, my mod will be balanced and all units will be necessary.