[Mod] Taco's RA [1.04]

A rebalance of the current OpenRA Red Alert + new units

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.

Which faction are you most excited to see in the future?

German
38%
African People's Army
19%
Operation Group Echo (pre-GDI)
44%

Total votes: 16

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Actually, before Hitler's uprising, in the Weimar Republic there was tons of dispute over communism and not. There were many communist parties, but it didn't amount to very much (not more than 25%). Most of the government was controlled by anti-communists, so they would likely join up with the allies anyways, and be quite very much pissed off at the Soviets. So yeah, a nazi-esque stormtrooper is a good idea.

Hmm. Which makes me think, technically should we be calling Germany in Red Alert the Weimar Republic? Because it never became Nazi Germany. It's, actually, never really mentioned. All it says is 1924 "The [Nazi] party falls apart due to infighting in the KDP [Kommunistische Partei Deutschlands], preventing the rise of Nazi Germany" on the CnC wiki.

The more you think about it the more complicated it gets xD
But yeah, that badger looks nice.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Eh, it was still known as Germany/Deutschland to everyone, one way or another.

Anyway, for the Conscript I've come up with the wonderful (ly lazy) idea of greying out the backpack in every sprite and adding a horizontal red strip to it (to avoid disguising the player's colour). I should have this and some other stuff done by mid-week or so.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Sounds good! :D

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

I don't mean to sound naggy, but it's been a week :P Any progress?

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Not really, I've been experiencing severe hardware problems lately so I've had to shuffle my priorities before this machine gives up and explodes in my face.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

So.. It's been 12 days. Any progress? I feel like a dick for asking every time I do xD

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Nope, nothing. My system's pretty much fucked right now. If I could send you an image of what my screen currently looks like, I would.

I'll say this much though; I can barely read what I'm typing.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Okay, so, status report.

Today, I just uploaded the 1.04 BETA release I released earlier in this forum to the Original Post. That adds no real functionality besides letting people know it's there. Not updating the forum post for all the awesome new features yet, since it's just beta. This is mostly to say "I'm not dead, here's where we are right now."

But I absolutely need help with this project. I am way inexperienced with the ancient art in which Command and Conquer made these files which most people do not use today. I've also had much, much problem with the command-line interface for converting .png to the file format recognized by this game. If someone could step up--someone who's computer isn't absolutely f**ked--that would be awesome. Much, much credit. Kudos to you. I'd cry.

Anyways, this is also a post basically saying this forum is not dead, just at a standstill. I want to finish up 1.04 before I move on to 1.05. Or maybe not even have a 1.05; when the next stable play-build for OpenRA comes out, maybe we'll go for 2.0 and try for CnC Tiberian Wars-esque unit queuing. That'd be a nice challange.

Thank you for helping us thus far, Baron, and I'd appreciate if you'd help more :D But I completely understand your system is wrecked. Shit just happens soemtimes. I'd help you if I could, since you helped me, but I can't do much besides offer advice that "9 times out of 10, computers have software problems." Just install something like Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution, and 9 times out of 10, your problems will disappear.

Also, I finally figured out the basics to Linux terminals and I'll be updating the Linux installation section of this.

If anyone has any suggestions, questions, or help to give, please contact me or post them here.

Matt

Post by Matt »

tacozmeister wrote: But I absolutely need help with this project. I am way inexperienced with the ancient art in which Command and Conquer made these files which most people do not use today. I've also had much, much problem with the command-line interface for converting .png to the file format recognized by this game.
I updated https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Pixelart lately and I offer help to port your mod to the latest OpenRA version because the changes are mostly done by me and are completely undocumented.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Cmd. Matt wrote: I updated https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Pixelart lately and I offer help to port your mod to the latest OpenRA version because the changes are mostly done by me and are completely undocumented.
Oh! Yes! That'd be wonderful. I'd be really happy with that. Non-documented changes would totally screw me up, and I really don't wanna just abort this project, because... quite frankly, I can't play OpenRA without it xD. Maybe then we could get icon changes in, too. If I'm too incompetent to do it myself :P

Looking at the guide now. Thanks! Going to add a little note in that guide saying that for Linux, it's in the "/usr/share/openra" folder. And some other minor things.

I'll try and truck through getting some png files converted to the correct file format for icons. Are there no requirements for the files you input? Like, not a specific (length)x(width), filesize, etc? A "right palette setting" is mentioned.

Is undocumentation normally a problem with vanilla OpenRA? It seems like it. It took me weeks if not a month to find a changelog from May to the June version, only because it finally appeared on the home page. And it wasn't even that detailed. I just worry about future vanilla updates constantly breaking my mod and being unable to effectively update.

Matt

Post by Matt »

tacozmeister wrote: Is undocumentation normally a problem with vanilla OpenRA? It seems like it. It took me weeks if not a month to find a changelog from May to the June version, only because it finally appeared on the home page. And it wasn't even that detailed. I just worry about future vanilla updates constantly breaking my mod and being unable to effectively update.
You have to look at https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/commits/bleed to keep up with the changes. The ChangeLog file is not updated anymore and the log for the homepage is generated from those commits. Documentation is pretty bad. I updated Compiling, Installation, FAQ, Mapping and Pixelart recently at https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki However the modding guide and trait documentation and everything else is pretty much out-of-date. The https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/tree/b ... ds/example might also be broken as it uses the Requires: inheritance which works only unreliable.

I suggest that you go to https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA fork the repository and manage your mod in there. http://windows.github.com/ now offers a nice graphical client. This way I can also help you with fixes more easily.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Cmd. Matt wrote: I suggest that you go to https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA fork the repository and manage your mod in there. http://windows.github.com/ now offers a nice graphical client. This way I can also help you with fixes more easily.
I forked it, here, but I have absolutely no idea what to do after forking :P Like... How do I upload my already-modded version to this fork? Because it'd be a bitch to go in and copy-paste every file. xD

Matt

Post by Matt »

Just copy your mods/tacora folder in there. It will automatically calculate the changes whenever you change a file. Have a look at https://help.github.com/ for the rest.

bellator

Post by bellator »

"But I absolutely need help with this project. "

You can PM me art requests (n stuff) if you want. I can do such stuff on occassion.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

tacozmeister wrote: Anyways, I'm going to need a couple cameos.
1) "Medium Tank" subtitle for the current Scout Tank
2) Fighter Jet cameo for mig2 (gonna be an allied fighter jet)
3) Badger Bomber
4) Heavy Bomber (allied equal to a badger bomber)
I still need these cameos done, and whenever I tried to convert the images that were named "bomberpng.png" for the B52 using the command-line converter, and it failed for me under Ubuntu Linux. I'll post a picture of my terminal. If anyone could look at the above list and help me with the cameos (some of which Baron already posted but not converted), I'd be eternally grateful. Is there anything I'm doing wrong in my terminal window? :P That's very probable too.
Attachments
Why is it acting weird? It outputted no shp. At all. D: File's in the right place, too. Right name. Right file format, etc.
Why is it acting weird? It outputted no shp. At all. D: File's in the right place, too. Right name. Right file format, etc.
whyyouactweird.png (36.15 KiB) Viewed 8164 times