[Mod] New Age

Mid Age, like AoE RA-Style

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
CombineC

[Mod] New Age

Post by CombineC »

Hi, guys

Ok i decide me for the New Age Mod.

Main Target is to make a kind of "total conversion" bring the middle ages to OpenRa. The clue is: play C&C under known Engine and Style but in another TIme period.

That Brings many new stuff, and focus the Battle on Infantry.

Things i want do:
- standalone Mod only using Temperate, trees and stuff
- Complete new Design of Buildings and Units
- Many Infantry
- Siege Weapons
- Horses exchange vehicles i plann makle them empty and with Cargo, change like Pillbox (art change includ) stuff like Bowman + Horse -> Horsed Crossbow
- New Harvest Ressource system (conr zone with windmill -> slow / worker + capturable mines fast or something)
- more different ressource Types/ maybe Unit Capacity
- make walls fit with gates "Tiberian Sun"-style
- maybe different factions with different design like, Europe, Asia, Orient, America.
- Battlefocus on Infantry, siege
- Basefocus on walls (castlebuild) 2x2 walls, gates, tower

Titlescreen Treaser comming soon,

im sure i cant finish this alone. so every help with some code and script (except yaml i learned) is welcome!

Typos include (My Engish isnt the best)

Greets Combine
Last edited by CombineC on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CombineC

Post by CombineC »

Example Design of ConstructionYard for Industrial

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Interesting concept, one I wouldn't mind trying out.

It's got me thinking though, if it would be possible to create 'subfactions' for each side that can inherit unit/structure/tech hierarchy, as opposed to creating entire full sides which are largely identical factions for the sake of minor tweaks (in the way that RA95 would have various countries in MP/Skirmish, but only two parent factions).

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Yeah, I'd have to agree. This looks awesome. But one team for each, and building styles? Not a very realistic or easy goal. I think that it'd worked nice like in RA2, how there was Allies and Soviet but there was more of a Cuba gets terrorists (they were originally supposed to get hinds!), Russia gets Tesla, Libya gets nuclear trucks, etc. That would work well here. Just make a standard Allies/Axis (or take the one from RA) and make a "tech" team that inherits allies, then give them gauss tanks. And shock troopers. And whatever it is that you want, not really a limit.

Question though, why would anyone wanna be anything besides Allies tech or Soviet Tanks? There doesn't seem to be enough incentive, especially since tank team still gets aircraft. Could do with some balancing.

Petrenko

Post by Petrenko »

Heyho,

have you considered using the commander unit to change one of the buildings by entering so you decide which subfaction or tech you want to focus on?

Is it possible to remove the "leave building" trait so one could not simply change to whatever tech he likes in lategame?
Hail to the soviets!

CombineC

Post by CombineC »

Petrenko wrote: Heyho,

have you considered using the commander unit to change one of the buildings by entering so you decide which subfaction or tech you want to focus on?

Is it possible to remove the "leave building" trait so one could not simply change to whatever tech he likes in lategame?
yes its possible just remove the cargo: and dont grant an initail unit. so the building morphs into another.

BTW: I plan in another great Mod Idea: Red Alert: Middle Ages. with knites and castles and all the good stuff, a bit like stronghold or something:

i made a little Broatswordmen-guy just for test

what do you think about fighting with swordman, bowman, catapult and castles?

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Wouldn't really be 'Red' Alert, what with no Soviet Union.

Not sure if I'd enjoy a middle-ages mod, although it would easily end up better-balanced than AoE II after a while. Good god, some of the aspects in that game make me rage. I'd try it out though.

CombineC

Post by CombineC »

BaronOfStuff wrote: Wouldn't really be 'Red' Alert, what with no Soviet Union.

Not sure if I'd enjoy a middle-ages mod, although it would easily end up better-balanced than AoE II after a while. Good god, some of the aspects in that game make me rage. I'd try it out though.
why should it be without soviet union?
russland doesnt exist 500-1400 A.C. ?

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

There was indeed a Russia, but not in any form was there a Soviet Union; that only came to be (and then collapsed) during the 20th century.

Also, back in the middle ages, Russia was mainly dominated by Mongol hordes.

CombineC

Post by CombineC »

y, so why not replace soviet with mongolei? allies became american indian, and adding a third faction: european

Example castle keep:

ImageImage

CombineC

Post by CombineC »

another little Guy i mae: Pickaxe worker. unload anim. inculde

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Not gonna lie, I'd like to see a Medieval mod. The more mods out there, the merrier. To each his own, too. I really liked AoE2 and stuff, and there's no real tile-based RTS besides that. This would be a cool addition, if you can get it all to work. You seem to be really good at what you do (making textures), but what matters more than speed is devotion. If you can get yourself to really do the mod and complete it, it'd definitely get done, and I'd be very happy to play it!

CombineC

Post by CombineC »

y, i wanna do it, but i check out first if somebody want play it. I Dont like to waste much time and work for 1 or 2 player.
and some help would nice. cause i don't know how to create a new mod. just editing yaml and making units/buildings.

A New Unit was Born:
Peasant with scythe.

CombineC

Post by CombineC »

Another Little Pikeboy guy (pikeman)

And Little Bowman

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

So far, I'm liking your little dudes :D
The swordsman guy you made originally is kinda difficult to see and looks more like a blob, but "c'est la vie" when it comes to only a few pixels to work with.