Implementing new units

Is it possible, and easy?

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
rb10c

Implementing new units

Post by rb10c »

The main problem (IMO) with RA is the lack of power to infantry. It's literally tanks or die. Moreso in OpenRA, when infantry does even less vs tanks.
I'd like to propose a few units.

Sniper (infantry image) tanya high anti infantry power, super high range, and slightly higher power vs tanks. super low ROF and price ~450. invisibility on veteranship.

Cannoneer (rocketeer image) 20% better power than rocketeer, crap vs infantry, longer range. super slow. Low ROF. Price ~500.

Miners? get one square of ore, lugs it to a refinery. ~200.

I'll let you know when i think of more. Basically, i want there to be more than just tanks to win.
Yes, i know about engineers.

Holy_Master

Post by Holy_Master »

my friend keep complain about infantry vs tank. he think infantry in ORA is too strong since the tank can't crush them.

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

It is very easy to make new units. Drop in to IRC #openra and one of the developers will walk you through the process.

raminator

Post by raminator »

http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... 83&t=14951
take a look here...
the steps are similar for infantry

rb10c

Post by rb10c »

I tried. I managed to clone the M1Carbine, and alter it into a sniper rifle ish thing. I called it sniper, for simplicity's sake.

Creating the unit, however, did not work. i cloned the E1, named it EI, changed the M1Carbine to Sniper, and it did not work whatsoever. It loaded to get the splash screen, but on creating a game, and entering, it closes without error.

I could, however, change the Infantry's weapon to the sniper, and worked beautifully.

Help?

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

You need to set it up in sequences.yaml, or at least find the Render* trait in your new unit and do `Image: e1`.