Sometimes in big maps gamplay gets temporary fps drops making it unplayable

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
psaez

Sometimes in big maps gamplay gets temporary fps drops making it unplayable

Post by psaez »

Hi

I usually play in very big maps, for example world maps, 800 size etc... For me, it is the most funny part of this game, to play in very big maps vs IA players or in co-op vs IA players, I really enjoy it.

Sometimes, when the game is advanced and there are a lot of units build, I experience fps drops that last for 15-20 seconds, sometimes 40-60 seconds making it unplayable. After that, the FPS starts to be normal again and a few time later again slow. Sometimes It is continuously slow forzing me to stop the game.

Does anyone have any idea about what produces that?

Can that be solved in future releases please?

freadyfish

Re: Sometimes in big maps gamplay gets temporary fps drops making it unplayable

Post by freadyfish »

Total hearsay but If I remember correctly I heard someone say that it's very hard to fix this since it just isn't built with the intention of scaling well. I haven't tried personally but navigating that code I have had the feeling that there is room for significant improvement somewhere, optimist as I am.

You can use the profiler in Visual Studio to "record" the code execution when it gets laggy and compare with a recording of a non-laggy part to get an idea. It gives you the exakt functions and how much execution time they each take. If you're not familiar it might be a bit of a hassle to set it up.

I'm surprised you can play at all on 800 tbh but I'm on a macbook so maybe its just me who gets lag after 200.
Just keep modding

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

The AI has trouble managing a large amount of units that cannot move, e.g. when there are walls or cliffs/bridges. The next release will contain some fixes to mitigate this problem, so it hopefully will not be as bad.

psaez

Post by psaez »

abcdefg30 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:26 pm
The AI has trouble managing a large amount of units that cannot move, e.g. when there are walls or cliffs/bridges. The next release will contain some fixes to mitigate this problem, so it hopefully will not be as bad.
very interesting thank you very much

do you know when a playtest or release with that correction will be available? I'll be interested in testing this

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

There is a milestone of items to be completed before a new release: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/milestone/35
That is only an indicator though, ideally all items are completed but the milestone might still be changed, it also highly depends on how many people of the dev team have enough spare time to work on OpenRA, so it is difficult to predict a release date.

psaez

Post by psaez »

abcdefg30 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:06 pm
There is a milestone of items to be completed before a new release: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/milestone/35
That is only an indicator though, ideally all items are completed but the milestone might still be changed, it also highly depends on how many people of the dev team have enough spare time to work on OpenRA, so it is difficult to predict a release date.
I can give you more tips about the issue. I disscovered that when this problem happens, in the windows performance monitor, GPU usage drops from 67% to 3%, CPU usage drops from 13% to 11% and CPU temperature increases, not too much, but a little, and the CPU fan starts making more noise.

Exactly when the issue dissapears, all the values come again to normal, 67% gpu usage etc... and fan stops making noise again.

Do you think that these info helps you to confirm that you have the problem isolated and prepared to be solved?