OpenRA network traffic analysis/behavior

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
jblack

Post by jblack »

Hello! I am writing a small paper on network traffic generated from multiplayer video games. OpenRA is one of the candidate game I am working with. Is there any information on how the client nodes interact with the server node and vicea versa?

From initial log captures it appears to use TCP instead of UDP ala Choc Doom and 0AD

Thank you for your time!

abcdefg30

Re: OpenRA network traffic analysis/behavior

Post by abcdefg30 »

Hi. OpenRA indeed uses TCP. We don't really have any documentation on our networking model, so I fear that information can only be obtained by tracing or looking at the source code, like https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/blob/b ... on.cs#L142 .

Punsho

Post by Punsho »

The game works via lockstep, where clients share their inputs and the server is just fills the role of passing orders between clients

jblack

Post by jblack »

abcdefg30 and Punsho thank you for the info! This definitely makes sense with the packet captures I am reviewing. Documentation has the OpenRA at 25 game ticks a second. I am seeing around 10 ticks a second but this could be under provisioned virtual machines I am using so the game is running akin to half speed.

Thank you again!

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

jblack wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:51 am
I am seeing around 10 ticks a second
If you are observing network traffic this might be due to net ticks being only every third tick: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/blob/d ... on.cs#L221