Map BagderHills (RAGL:S5) - Skirmish mode - Drop in game-speed

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Ronald

Map BagderHills (RAGL:S5) - Skirmish mode - Drop in game-speed

Post by Ronald » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:47 am

I'm playing Skirmish games for training a lot. Last night was playing on the map BagderHills (RAGL:S5)
I play 8 games per map: 4 games at Soviet Side, 4 games at Allies side and I play with/against every faction on both sides

These are the setting under which I played. (found them at LVL1 document in the ORA Discord server)
BagderHills_game_speed_2.jpg
BagderHills_game_speed_2.jpg (367.65 KiB) Viewed 603 times
THE CHALLENGE
Sometimes - after only 3-5 minutes in the game against
- [Normal-AI]
- [Turtle-AI]
the game speed dropped to almost to 50%-33% of the original game-speed when playing against [Rush-AI].

REMARK:
I also have experienced drop-ingame-speed before, but that was on huge/big maps when
- playing against multiple(2-3) AI players at once.
- the AI-Player started to move a LOT of units to a new location on the map
- started building a Naval yard / Sub-pen in a pond (a small patch of closed water, little lake of about 10x10 water-tiles)
- an AI-Player got stuck on the map due to a spawn-point location error, so all his units where eating up map-space in the same AI-Base location
These causes transformed OpenRA into a slide-show instead of a fluid gameplay at 30 (FPS) Frames Per Second

QUESTIONS:
1. What can be the underlying cause of this drop in game-speed (after only 5 minutes with < 20-40 units + buildings on a 1v1 map)?
2. How can I find out what causes it?
3. Does OpenRA have any logfile which I can examine?
4. Does OpenRA have any build-in (debug) performance counter I can turn on, when playing?
5. is there a setting in OpenRA Main Menu or in the Map's debug menu which I can turn on to help me find the cause?

abcdefg30

Re: Map BagderHills (RAGL:S5) - Skirmish mode - Drop in game-speed

Post by abcdefg30 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:01 am

You can enable performance text and graph in the settings (advanced section), they can give some hints.

Ronald

Post by Ronald » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:25 am

abcdefg30 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:01 am
You can enable performance text and graph in the settings (advanced section), they can give some hints.
Thanks for the hint abcdefg30. I now have both performance settings are now turned ON. (see images below)
openra_setting_3.jpg
openra_setting_3.jpg (65.82 KiB) Viewed 585 times
Now the next question is: What exactly am I looking at?
Lower Right corner
- FPS ......(Frame Per Seconds counter)?
- Tick......(Internal software clock ticks? of what?)
- Render? (Amount of time spend rendering an on_screen image?)
- Batches? (number of units being queued for building by construction units?)

Lower Left Corner:
I now see (in-game) a nice bunch of coloured "EEG-type-of-lines" but what do these lines / value actually represent?
- Renders ..................... What ??
- Batches ..................... What ??
- Render_Widgets ........... What ??
- Render_Flip ................ Number of video-frame-buffer flips /time ??
- Pathfinder ................. Unit pathfinding algorithm ??
- Tick_actors ................ Clock_tick signal for all actor function inside a map ??
- Tick_lua .................... Clock_tick for (map) LUA script processing ??
- Tick_time .................. Overall (master) Internal Clock_tick signal ??
- Bot_tick .................... Clock_tick for IA_bot players ??

Where can I find more documentation (if any) about their meaning in relation to game-speed-drops i encounter.
Now I can only find articles / webpages about more/other lagging issues over here:
- https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Ahttps% ... fab&ia=web

But - so far I - was not (yet) able to find any documentation on this features on the OpenRA Github Wiki ...

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:25 pm

Tick and Render ms are the average ms spent either ticking or rendering during the last second (one second usually equals 25 ticks). Batches are the amount of times the game had to wait on the GPU (e.g. wait for a render to finish to change GPU parameters).
Iirc the graph simply visualizes those values and additionally displays times/counts for the other areas you listed. The names should be pretty self explanatory, as you stated. (E.g. Tick_lua being the time spent on executing the map's Lua code.)