Tournament Format Brainstorm

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Rekampamboon

Tournament Format Brainstorm

Post by Rekampamboon »

Hey everyone! We've started a Discord group to brainstorm about Tournament Format ideas.

It won't be a very active group. Just dump your raw ideas here or in the Discord group and we'll see what happens. The ideas can be a full tournament format or ideas for a minigame or Darkmap (map that players don't know anything about at the start of the game). There are no stupid ideas!

Want to join the group? Follow this link or post something in this thread. Please give your idea a title and a short description.

Rekampamboon

Re: Tournament Format Brainstorm

Post by Rekampamboon »

Current ideas:

Supply-the-team Team Tournament
Teams are equally divided in stronger and less stronger players. Both teams get a Team Bank Account (TBA) with, let's say, $10.000. The games are played in a round robin format and the team can decide to give a player starting money from the TBA as a bonus to increase the odds of a win against a stronger player (the starting money is deducted from the TBA). If the team wins a game their bank account loses -$250, if a team loses a game their bank account gains + $250.

Battle Royale tournament
This tournament is played on huge maps, last surviving unit wins. Every set period the borders of the map are nuked. Every set period (e.g. 4 mins) the nukes land a step closer to the center of the map.

Bloodbath Tournament
Played on Fastest speed. Extra small to small maps used. Don't know yet about additional specifics, f.e. I once had an idea to give all players a Crazy Ivan analog on T3, fast built infantry unit behaving same as Demo truck, doing 30% of Demo damage. Or a Sudden Death mechanic, like giving a Nuke timer to everyone from the start of the game.

(Team) tournament with a meta-map
In the old RA game there was a meta-map where you could attack certain countries. If you won, the state was conquered (the state got your color). This could be done in a teamformat, or with individuals. Conquer the entire meta-map!

Low-level Academy Practice
Radar Dome is disabled to be built, so players only have T1 and SD tech available. Promotes macro and better engagements control.
Additionally 10 minute time limit can be imposed to not have stalemates dragging the course of the tournament.

Defy the odds tournament
Players play a 1v1 on a map. One player wins. Next game the loser gets a bonus (money/units). If he loses again, he'll get a bigger bonus next game. For each game lost there's a set increment in the bonus he recieves - untill he wins. Players get 1 point for each game won.

Asymmetrical mirror match tournament
Players play on an asymmetrical map. They play the map twice, switching starting position.

Micro tournament
Maps are fully revealed - players only get a selection of units (no base). Lets see who micros his units best!

Player vs the System tournament
A tournament (or event) where players cooperate, rather than compete. I.e. they battle waves or one huge motherfucker or AI or something.
Goal would be to beat the system.
A variant: teams take on the system and see who do best.

Mini game Tournament
Use a selection of the many awesome mini games for a tournament.

Rekampamboon

Post by Rekampamboon »

Buy-starting-units Tournament
1v1 round robin tournament. Every game each player may spend (for example) $5000 on starting units. Tournament director edits in the starting units. Game on.

Rekampamboon

Post by Rekampamboon »

Random settings tournament
Every game is played with random settings: starting money, playspeed, starting units, tech, etc. Tournament director RNGs for each game.

Rekampamboon

Post by Rekampamboon »

Kill the King-tournament
Each player starts with an MCV and a king (e.g. the Einstein). Kill the enemy Einstein and you win.

Rekampamboon

Post by Rekampamboon »

Capture the flag tournament
Maps have a bunch of flags on the map. Capture them. If you own 75% of the flags you win the game.

Super_Newbie

Post by Super_Newbie »

Here are just some random ideas, mostly not big enough for a tournament imo:

>>The only way of receiving additional funds, is to capture oils. Also, make them indestructable.
>>Players start with super weapons.
>>Infantry only tech-level, on small-ish maps.
>>Just an ordinary 1v1 or 2v2, but opposing sides share funds. As in, you and your enemy share funds. (based on some old map long ago)
>>A 2v2 where one member of the team controls all combat units and the other builds and controls mcvs/ore trucks. (based on some old map long ago)
>>No infantry available to build, only vehicles and bases!
>>No factions, all faction-specific units and structures are available to build.
>>For no particular reason, some less-useful units/structures give you money. Probably, silos or attack dogs. Also, low-eco maps are used.
>>Where is the BME Tournament, guys???
LOL! Check out my signature! Neat eh?

Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Last edited by Ronald on Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Invite expired..

I'd like to see the next team tourny have random team selection. Maybe even random teams every game. Winners get points, so there ends up being a single winner, not a team winner.

SuperNewbie, the oil capture game was an idea i thought would be quite fun too. It has to be called American Conquest :D

Rekampamboon

Post by Rekampamboon »

For the Discord I have to be friend to invite people. But Netnazgul said there's limited space in groupchats, so any ideas are best to be posted here. People are welcome to join the group though. Send me a PM on Discord (NoobMapMaker).

Super_Newbie

Post by Super_Newbie »

I AM the Team! 1v1 Tournament
"2v2" tourney, but one player pilots both members of the team, so it's basically, a 1v1, but the players have two OpenRAs open, playing as a team.
LOL! Check out my signature! Neat eh?