Requires OpenRA forum account

Games requiring OpenRA forum accounts

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
alex1984

Requires OpenRA forum account

Post by alex1984 »

I am trying to join a RAGL Official server and it has an icon that I require an OpenRA forum account. When I try and connect it says I do not have permission.

I have a forum account and it shows in the upper left corner 'alex1984' What is it that i am missing please?

Thanks

anjew

Re: Requires OpenRA forum account

Post by anjew »

Those use a whitelist where only specific players (RAGL participants) may enter.

As it stands, i believe a server that employs authenticated users only and servers that have a whitelist display the same indications so its easy to mistake one for the other.

alex1984

Post by alex1984 »

How do you get whitelisted on the RAGL servers?
I wanted to spec a couple of players in a game following 2 or 3 games they had but could not join and everyone else could

anjew

Post by anjew »

That's a shame to hear but I have heard similar stories of players just wanting to spec, it may or may not change in the future. I hope the experience didn't put you off.

The best options to be whitelisted are being an admin or being a player in RAGL. I don't think this system will change, especially in the short term.
The current RAGL season is very close to being over so you should see the whitelist change or at least not many players using the servers.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Yes, this season we made a decision to provide whitelisted servers for players and officials (with, as I remember, 2 exceptions) so that players can have a more comfortable space to play, because it's hard to control an open server to have only trusted/fast spectators and exclude griefers and people that lag the game or cause disconnections. As the season is indeed almost over, servers will be disbanded and probably converted to common open servers.

Previously servers used a password authentication, but it's rather easy to obtain the password from open sources, so it only blocked total random people from entering and didn't help much.

We will look into it next season, but at the moment whitelisting seems to be the best compromise out of limited server moderation options OpenRA has.

alex1984

Post by alex1984 »

Is it possible to get whitelisted somehow? I have watched quite a few of the pro (or what i believe to be pro) games now.
Hopefully I can watch some of the unofficial RAGL 2 games

anjew

Post by anjew »

The easiest way to get whitelisted is to join he competition yourself :)