I consider to quit permanently

Mapping probably even more complicated than making a mod.

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
lawANDorder

Re: I consider to quit permanently

Post by lawANDorder »

Someone appears to have multiple (3 if I count correctly) forum accounts.

pointbreak

Post by pointbreak »

Didn't you already accuse me of that before? It's getting boring.

lawANDorder

Post by lawANDorder »

If so I forgot. But could be, it just looks like this when reading through the thread. My bad then, I aplologize if you aren't kidding people here, which I assumed you would be.

pointbreak

Post by pointbreak »

You're legit insane.

lawANDorder

Post by lawANDorder »

I'd be annoyed too - let's forget about it, won't happen again.

Alley

Post by Alley »

Peroult597 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:46 pm
I'm quitting the game full stop. I hardly recognise the game, whatever people are doing to 'balance' the game is pretty misguided, and it is a shame. There are so many laggy bits about multiplayer, but it seems the focus is on nipping unit values and inf/tank issues, rather than basic gameplay. The guys I usually go online with have given up weeks ago and the mapping modding issues are the same. Best of luck, I shall check in sporadically but I can't see this being brought back to being a simple, fun game. Good luck though, hopefully some of you will see this through the hard times.
I must say I have difficulties to move on from old originals(retro) too. I mostly don't appreciate new recreations very much. The same applied also to OpenRA very long. Those long and colored tails from bullets and planes, for example, and gameplay where everything seemed to have completely different rules... I felt it is not Red Alert but completely different game. However, OpenRA has a lot of possibilities to edit maps or the game itself and because of limits for an old original, I could motivate myself with the fact that I may be able to recreate a clone for an original to have also something that old RA don't have. More faction colors and AI's that can control ship's, for example. Although, I often haven't able to make even something easy yet, with a lot of learning, editing and testing(gaming) I somehow could get used with it which does not happen usually otherwise. This game is not that different from the old original and its physics is very decent, controlling the game is easy and look is, however, mostly the same only with a few additions. There are balance changes and some unit changes but otherwise, everything is mostly the same. I also understood that it is actually even good that now you must rely on everything else than tanks only because I really don't like how people use fast fingers and high tech keyboards to spam the map with tanks and defensives only calling themselves so pros and smart then. OpenRA prevents this, opens more strategies that actually need some real thinking and skills which makes the game more interesting.
So, I don't agree with you on OpenRA. I just think that editing stuff should be easier than making OpenRA itself because we are just fans and a lot of us don't know much about complicated programming. :) OpenRA itself is a very courage project that is well made so that it also does not remove Red Alert experience completely and now there are several options to give ourselves more feeling that we play old RA because we can hide partial hud, disable un-deploying Construction Yard, etc.
pointbreak wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:29 am
Please make it so that I can add Belarus in a map. Or at best add it to the whole game. Give them a sniper as special unit, maybe partisan units of some kind, maybe cheaper inf (though that would mess up the early game), and advanced paratroopers as special ability (10 or 15 paratroopers with a flame thrower in them or two).

Here's their flag: Image
I would like to see a feature to add those image files to our map folder to read those files from map code. I just think that making a new mod just to function one to ten map, switching to Red Alert everything when we want to play any other map and losing everything if updating OpenRA to a newer version without saving backups is not a complete solution. :roll:

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Alley wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:50 pm
I just think that making a new mod just to function one to ten map, switching to Red Alert everything when we want to play any other map and losing everything if updating OpenRA to a newer version without saving backups is not a complete solution. :roll:
There is a solution already... it's called creating an actual mod.

This is exactly why the ModSDK - https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRAModSDK - is a thing, and why OpenRA was made to be able to hop between parallel installations through the server browser (and having the internal mod switcher axed). Because if you create a full mod, you A) no longer need to limit yourself to those one-to-ten maps you apply your rules to and you are able to just include all maps from a base mod (provided you make sure there is an 1:1 actor transition) and B) your mod would be installed separately so it would be unaffected if the default OpenRA version would be bumped as long as you as the mod author wouldn't make an update with a newer engine revision.

There are already "overlay" mods (mods which are built upon their respective base mod counterparts but shipped separately through the SDK) working like this, https://github.com/KOYK/OpenRA-Tiberian-Dawn-Apolyton and https://github.com/RAunplugged/uRA comes to my mind proving that the system works - uRA is basically the ultimate proof, it might be dead and abandoned, but I can take the last release even in 2020 and install it alongside the then-actual OpenRA. It will lack the features added to the base game since it's release, but it won't remain broken forever either.

TBH, how I see is that mapmodding should be the novice steps taken and if the modder is serious about his/her project, then the mod should be converted to an overlay SDK-based mod instead. There's a basic tutorial for so on the SDK wiki even for this task.

TLDR: There is a solution, but it isn't mapmods and IMO mapmodders shouldn't even complain - they accepted this limitation when they limited themselves to mapmodding.

Alley

Post by Alley »

Okay, your answer may have revealed some a lot of things about modding that I probably previously didn't know. :angel: Anyways, your links seem to redirect much more difficult thing than mapping and I really don't have time... :| Right now, I try to accept limitations and work with one of my maps sometimes by quitting instant decentness and removing bugs later if detected also. Then if I can reach to somewhere and I also like what I could have done then I may consider starting my own bigger mod for example in holidays I have to cut the limitations.
The reason for posting this topic, to be honest, was also to hint for a suggestion but I can see it will not get accepted. However, your answer is calm and polite and you try to help so... Thank you! :)