A Special Announcement from EA

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Sleipnir

A Special Announcement from EA

Post by Sleipnir »

EA have today announced that they are looking into options for remastering the original C&C games.

We expect the OpenRA community will have some strong opinions on this topic, and Jim Vesalla (EA_Jimtern) will be looking at your feedback, and hopefully participating in the discussion!

Please remember to abide by the forum rules - Jim is reaching out to the community in good faith, and we expect the community here to respond in kind :)

Wobling

Re: A Special Announcement from EA

Post by Wobling »

Was discussing on Reddit yesterday how it would be awesome to get a remaster of ra2yr and by extension TS.
I really hope this leads to something.

Combatchase

Post by Combatchase »

C&C RA2 is my absolute favorite RTS so I'm particularly excited about the discussion of a possible remaster. My friends and I have tried to get the current version on Origin to work but it constantly crashes for all of us.

While C&C RA3 was fun I feel like it missed the mark with the multiplayer. We loved how many countries we were able to choose from in RA2 even if they only had minor differences. Only getting 3 options in RA3 just felt like StarCraft to us.

I look forward to seeing what you and your team decide to remaster. My votes for RA2. I need some Korean jet fighters back in my life.

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

The original games, in all their cheesy 90's glory, were so good and memorable they stood the test of time - as is evidenced by the existence of multiple fan communities (such as ours) that are trying to keep their spirit alive. Trying to rehash that would in my opinion be a fruitless endeavour, because Red Alert 1 is still very much alive thanks to projects such as OpenRA or Cncnet.

If someone were to ask me which direction C&C should go, I'd want the Red Alert universe to expand further rather than implode into itself by trying to reiterate on the classic games.
A brand new Red Alert, complete with classic gameplay, FMV cutscenes and a classic over-the-top story with memorable characters and just the right dose of insanity would be a surefire way to get my attention!

Sinistro

Post by Sinistro »

This is the absolute best news I could get today! I'm really looking forward to both the remastered versions (for me, having compatibility with current OSes, and support to high resolutions is more than enough).

Blarget2

Post by Blarget2 »

Having a proper 3D Red alert 2 remake would be amazing. With a balanced yuri.

But most importantly would be to make Generals 2.

EA_Jimtern

Post by EA_Jimtern »

Hi Sinistro, thanks so much for the support and glad to hear you're excited! OpenRA has been a phenomenal Mod and community over the years, which is why we wanted to post the announcement here as well. We're looking forward to partnering with your community to deliver the best C&C experience possible.

austincxiv

Post by austincxiv »

A good remaster of Red Alert 2 or Tiberian Sun would be amazing. Maybe allow mod support too like Age of Empires 2 with Steam Workshop?

If EA ever wishes to make a new CnC game I think they should go back to their roots. Keep the game simple and familiar to fans of the classic games. It is obvious from every release since RA3 that we are not interested in any game with "command and conquer" in the title that doesn't include the gameplay elements that are essential to the series (notable exclusion being Renegade, however).

There is a reason why we play OpenRA over EA's newest games. We want Command and Conquer for the base building, resource collecting and action packed combat.

Just make a Command and Conquer game that is actually a C&C game!

kenosis

Post by kenosis »

Hope EA will make a FULLY MODDABLE ra2yr remastered, with steam workshop to release mods.
You know, modders nowadays can do something pretty awesome.
https://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mo ... 00/2.3.gif

ZxGanon

Post by ZxGanon »

Red Alert 2 sounds like a good idea.

I mean it had the best single player of all Command and Conquers and a revolutionary multiplayer (well for that time now it is heavily outdated and blend gameplay) so it would be the most lucrative step to choose this cnc.

Yuris Revenge was a nice add but overall Yuri as a faction was heavily broken (either too weak or too strong in various situations) and not that fun to play against.

Even though I was a huge fan of CnC3 (that one had the best multiplayer that still lives up to this day).

Anyway I´m actually excited that it is gonna be a remastered since that can be easily done.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

Is EA going to shutdown OpenRA?

Banshee

Post by Banshee »

lucasss, don't give them bad ideas. Remember that "OpenRA has been a phenomenal Mod and community over the years" ;). Jim has been quite clear about that, isn't it?
Last edited by Banshee on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KOYK_GR

Post by KOYK_GR »

I am doing my own remastering, in my way with my mod XD
IMO what we are really missing is more kane and more lore.

EA_Jimtern

Post by EA_Jimtern »

EA has no intention of interfering with the work of OpenRA. Our hope is we can team up together to share insights, best practices, and further grow the C&C community through this initiative.

IceReaper

Post by IceReaper »

They should prove they can still do it, and do a new C&C4, completely ignoring Tiberian Twilight. If they would do that, it would be like saying: "we fucked up, sorry, we will listen to the community now and do it better.we deliver you the games you deserve and work hard to regain the trust". Just remastering the good old games means: "hey, we are shit, and we dont care you not liking our games, but hey, lets just milk the good stuff then by throwing in better graphics and we are done with our task, money flows again."
Dont get me wrong, remastered versions would be nice. But it still shows the milking of the original games further instead of trying to learn from their mistakes and do it right. HD remasters can still follow afterwards.

Yes i know, this sounds harsh.. But i loved the cnc franchine, but ea made.. well.. cnc4, aliances, rivals. and what about the generals 2 story? Sorry, but blindly trusted ea back in the days and preordered cnc4, did not watch any previews etc to noit spoiler the game. Still cant forget the disappointment... :/
Last edited by IceReaper on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.