Future Improvements

Future options to include in the game

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
KAPICO

Future Improvements

Post by KAPICO »

Hello everyone,
I am creating this topic so that you can express your thoughts concerning future updates.(mainly Red Alert)

Dear Devs,
First of all, thank you for this wonderful work, and for letting all of this happen.
However, I, as a player, have some requests that will make the game even more fun and exciting to play in my opinion.
-Consider doing ranks or levels, so that players can identify the skill level of other players in the lobby. This may need the creation of accounts (like Steam for example).
-Modify the building section so that it looks more like the original Red Alert.(power level, money bar ...)
-Allow players to create a music playlist so that they listen to their favorite songs while playing.
-Include LAN play.
-Maybe try and go for clans/teams.
-Include game speed option.
-Include resolution option.
-Do more tournaments.

Kindly note that everything said is just personal preference, and that this may not be good for other players.

When I invited a friend to try OpenRA, he said :"I won't play it because it is nothing like the original"
This led me to write this post, wanting to make the community grow and getting the best out of a really good project.

Having also tried CnCNet's Red Alert, and comparing it to OpenRA, I really think you guys have done a better job.

We, as players, can't thank you enough for all you have done.

Please take this post into consideration.

Thank you in advance,
KAPICO

Sleipnir

Re: Future Improvements

Post by Sleipnir »

Picking out two easy ones:
KAPICO wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 5:46 pm
-Include LAN play.
LAN play should "just work". Create a game through the multiplayer menu, and then anyone else on the LAN will be able to see it in the server browser. You do not need to advertise the game online for this to work.
KAPICO wrote:
This can be set in the lobby options before starting the game.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

KAPICO wrote:
The game already has a customizable resolution I think? Also you can check "pixel doubling" option and/or use dedicated hotkey or ctrl+scroll for this while in the game.

KAPICO

Post by KAPICO »

Oh so these 2 options are already here.
Thank you guys for pointing this out!

KAPICO

Post by KAPICO »

Personally I really want the game to have ranks. This is really important if you wanna atract more players to choose OpenRA over other sources.
(That is how I see it)

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

KAPICO wrote:
-Consider doing ranks or levels, so that players can identify the skill level of other players in the lobby. This may need the creation of accounts (like Steam for example).
-Modify the building section so that it looks more like the original Red Alert.(power level, money bar ...)
-Allow players to create a music playlist so that they listen to their favorite songs while playing.
-Include LAN play.
-Maybe try and go for clans/teams.
-Do more tournaments.

When I invited a friend to try OpenRA, he said :"I won't play it because it is nothing like the original"
This led me to write this post, wanting to make the community grow and getting the best out of a really good project.
Hello, and welcome!

Ranks have been suggested a lot, so there is definitely a demand for them. But currently it's not being worked on as far as i know, i'm not sure if it can work server side, but that may be an option for server hosters.

The power bar is available in Tiberian Dawn, but is quite unfavourable imo. When you learn the power requirements of each building, knowing how much power you have versus need by looking at just a number is very beneficial, which is why i've struggled with it in TD a bit.

The more competitive players tend to orientate around 1vs1, so clans isn't really a thing anyone's brought up much from i've seen.

Tournament wise, there's plenty going on already. RAGL is currently still happening, yesterday we had Orb's 1 day event, we're soon to see another event in the coming weeks, and this year we already had SirCake's tourny and Abarrats 2vs2 tournament. So there's plenty going on!

If your friend wants to play the original that's cool. But as you can see from Openra videos online from SoScared and 5aces to name only 2, openra has many advantages and all units are useable in competitive games.

Playlist wise, you can have TD and RA music playing while in game. Let me know if you want to know how to have TD music in RA.
Also because you can just have music playing from your computer anyway, playlist integration is unlikely to br on the developers plans. You can make a playlist on youtube as that has all the RTS music you could ever want.

If you need any help regarding ingame stuff, let me know. And dont' forget to join the OpenRA discord!

KAPICO

Post by KAPICO »

Thank you really much eskimo, now I see that we don’t really need all of this.
I would like to know how to get TD music in RA (please note that I do not have original CDs)

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

No problem.

Also regarding ranks etc, you'll soon work out who players are by their names in game. Most people use the same names, but some will change regulary. You'll work out who they are still by IP, playstyle, country or type of map they play.

If you message me on discord i will try out sort you out music wise.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

There should be a thread on this forum about just that, try searching "music". Or jump on IRC/Discord, yeah. At least several people I know of made exactly that during the year