What is the point of the Technician?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
avalach21

What is the point of the Technician?

Post by avalach21 »

Why does the Technician exist? Why did Westwood feel the need to bother putting them in the game? I think you only really encounter them when you sell a building.. I mean it's hilarious to see them run around in a panic I guess... I understand that they shouldn't really have a combat role.. but instead of making them unarmed, they are given I assume a pistol for some reason.. but it does nearly no damage at all.. even to other infantry. The whole thing makes no sense to me. I also don't remember anything similar in TS or RA2, only in TD and RA1. Obviously not complaining about having them in OpenRA or suggesting a change to them or anything.. just wondering if anyone has any commentary or insight on this question that has boggled me for decades now.

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

Don't worry too much. Not everything has to make sense from a game-mechanic perspective.
Here are other aspects like realism, fun or funnyness too. And sometimes there is no reason at all.
Don't waste your thought power on this detail ^^

Check out Dune2k-Advanced on my moddb page!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

A better question is, can we get yellow shirt guy?
"Do not trust the balance tzars (Smitty, Orb). They are making the changes either for the wrong reasons, for no reason at all, or just because they can and it makes them feel good." - Alex Jones

avalach21

Post by avalach21 »

Smitty wrote: A better question is, can we get yellow shirt guy?
lol that was my next question.. why do we only have 1 color technician

Inq

Post by Inq »

I guess it was to just add a level of detail to the game.

They are unnecessary from a gameplay perspective, but you would have non-combat units working in a real conflict.

CatGirls420

Post by CatGirls420 »

Also, why are all the civilians either one color, or another? Only 2 colors.

As for why add technicians, well, you'd expect them to be inside doing technician things. They can also be used as cannon fodder. And, simply just to add something silly to the game, because it's red alert. It's supposed to have bs like that :)

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

techs are OP

avalach21

Post by avalach21 »

Inq wrote: I guess it was to just add a level of detail to the game.

They are unnecessary from a gameplay perspective, but you would have non-combat units working in a real conflict.
True.. it's just a silly thing I guess.. the best use of them is to send them at the enemy base as scouts, except their sight range is atrocious. it does make logical sense having them too, i just dont understand what pistol they are armed with that is so pathetically weak. is it a nerf gun? lol
CatGirls420 wrote: Also, why are all the civilians either one color, or another? Only 2 colors.

As for why add technicians, well, you'd expect them to be inside doing technician things. They can also be used as cannon fodder. And, simply just to add something silly to the game, because it's red alert. It's supposed to have bs like that :)

lol, one thing i've noticed since creating this thread is that sometimes when you sell your nuke silo, instead of getting a technician, you have a chance of getting an engineer or a "scientist" instead. Not sure if other buildings have this possibility either, but noticed it with nuke silos... pretty neat feature. Is that new for Open RA? I don't remember anything like that for the original game.