Smitty's Spring 2018 Playtest

Playtest B is out

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Regarding snowballing, as it's being used as an argument, and it's generally considered not good for gameplay, the MCV speed decrease i believe helps this snowballing effect. It's never been easier to snipe an MCV now, and i'm of the opinion sniping someone's first MCV is probably the easiest way to win. Loosing an engagement early on i've rarely found it to have any snowballing effect, it just feels like a nice ahead advantage.

While i'm not saying the bounty thing is or isn't good, i'm just making the point that it seems like people are treating it as a massive thing.

barf_openra

Post by barf_openra »

avalach21 wrote: *Catgirls plz get off our team you are not helping our argument at all
Shut this thread down avalach just won

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

As has already been pointed out, bounties have been debated at length. If you wish to debate it again with a new angle then someone should create another thread.

This thread is starting to become less of a debate and more of a shouting match. Having an opinion on these things is natural but if you are going to defend yours please do it constructively and with evidence.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I don't like being caught off guard on what will or won't go into a balance patch so to help frame the discussion better, I'll list where I'm leaning on potential changes.

Bounties are pretty much their own topic so I left them off the list. They'll be in a separate pr from my balance patch if that goes through. I do want feedback on bounties but I need it to come from people who've taken the time to test bountyless games.

Will probably happen
-Fake structures can build off of other fake structures. Vision reduced from 4c0 to 1c0 (I forgot to add the vision nerf into the playtest. It's pretty obvious to me that a fake building should not provide vision to the player)
-Biolab vision increased from 3c0 to 4c0; Vision of Airfield (was 7c0), Allied Tech Center (was 10c0), and Advanced Power Plant (was 4c0) changed to 5c0.
-Phase Transport and Mobile Gap Generator swapped between England and France.
-Artillery cost increased to 850 from 800
-Subpens and Naval Yards have 10c0 detection range of Submarines

Leaning Yes
-Sub torpedo speed increased from 85 to 100
-Longbow turn speed increased from 4 to 5
-Phase Transport Cloaking speed reduced from 9 seconds to 6.
-Lower selection priority of Minelayers
-Missile Sub vision increased from 6c0 to 8c0, damage vs wood increased from 40% to 80%. Reload delay decreased to 250 from 300.
-Shock Trooper price increased from 300 to 350
-Telsa Tank speed lowered from 113 to 99. (Same speed as MGG and MRJ)
-Added 2nd seat to Ranger
-AA Gun delay increased from 5 to 6

Need more input
-Extra construction yards no longer provide bonus production speed for defense structures.
-Chrono Tank PortableChrono time reduced to ~9 seconds (250 ticks).
-Walls require base provider (This isn't controversial, but we need to know that it doesn't goof with anything mechanically. I need to hear from people who have tested this.)

Leaning No
-Mechanic repair increased by 5 HP; Vehicle HP on restore 40%, up from 25%

Will likely not happen
-Lower selection priority of Hijackers

Much of my decision making is based on feedback. I'm more than capable of changing my mind if I see well spoken opposition. (See Iron Curtain and minimum arty/v2 range from last patch)
Also, feel free to keep sharing your ideas; well over half of whats in here wasn't thought up by me. You can leave your comments here or get a hold of me on discord.
"Do not trust the balance tzars (Smitty, Orb). They are making the changes either for the wrong reasons, for no reason at all, or just because they can and it makes them feel good." - Alex Jones

N/a

Post by N/a »

So speed freak friday had bounties off around 30 games practice and competitive didn't get one complaint about it.

My thought is the same from when we tried out just a handful of games and that is indifference.

maceman

Post by maceman »

Got to say I'm pro removing bounties atm. I've played lots of games without them and to be honest, there are only very marginal noticable differences. But as the numbers popping up from the dead are weird until you are used to them, and not all units give bounties, I probably prefer it without.

Also: Why should a player get free cash because their base got attacked and they held by turtling? If they want cash they should get out and secure some ore.

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

I do like the idea of not having RPG style text pop up, but bounties on and off seems fine as an option.

I guess the original idea was to balance people that have good micro vs people that focus on macro?

Maybe RAGL should just change to no bounties if voted on?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

My pull request for the next round of balance changes is up.

I'll go over the changes that didn't make the cut here:

Longbow turn speed increased from 4 to 5
- With the looming possibilities of Orb's Allied Overhaul and/or Hind to Soviet; there's a good change some big changes will come to the longbow, so leaving this out for now.

Mechanic repair increased by 5 HP; Vehicle HP on restore 40%, up from 25%
- This might happen in an Allied overhaul but for now I've heard several people say they didn't feel the mechanic was under-performing.

Lower selection priority of Hijackers
- As they are often paired with APC's, both units occasionally need to be selected together.

Walls require base provider
- I want to put this in but still haven't really heard if there's a legitimate issue to leave this out (14095). It's a small fix for a small problem so I'm fine leaving it out.

Extra construction yards no longer provide bonus production speed for defense structures.
- I like this change but don't feel I got enough feedback to push it through.
"Do not trust the balance tzars (Smitty, Orb). They are making the changes either for the wrong reasons, for no reason at all, or just because they can and it makes them feel good." - Alex Jones

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Had an odd game where we both went inf rush and due to bounties I pulled a win from it. An isolated incident, but thought it was worth the post.

https://www.gamereplays.org/openra/repl ... &id=329473