Hi, first post and MAP POLL

1v1 Maps

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

What kind of maps would you like to see more of?

Large (Isle of the lion size) 128x128, high eco, open spaces.
No votes
Medium/typical (Pitfight size) 90x90 high eco, flanks, open spaces
25%
Medium/typical, low eco, chokey
No votes
Small (Frozen paths size) 80x80 or less, high eco, open spaces etc..
8%
Small, low eco, chokey
8%
I want a large size map with high eco, open spaces in places, chokey in others, with some oils.
8%
Ysmir is a 1v1 player map.
50%

Total votes: 12

N/a

Hi, first post and MAP POLL

Post by N/a »

Hi, first post here.

I was not sure whether it was possible to get a poll going on discord so I decided here would be the best place.

Just wanted to ask what kind of maps everyone likes in terms of size/eco/flank options/oils etc...

And what kind of maps everyone would like to see that are not on OpenRA right now.

Thanks

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Can't check all of the above.

Also "needs more naval" is missing.

N/a

Post by N/a »

Aw, forgot more trees.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Currently i think we have enough maps atm unless something truly unique or different comes along. With the RAGL pool being fresh, Foretaste practise demoing other new maps,i think any more new maps will be forgotten about. You should focus on Forest Warrior and get that perfected.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

eskimo wrote: Currently i think we have enough maps atm unless something truly unique or different comes along.
The problem with the truly unique map, they need to be tested in order to reveal their unicity and their potential and from what i have seen right now, if you are a bit different of the "classic maps" in apearance,shape or general organisation, people are not really willing to test it.

I illustrate that with race track, it took a stream and the approval of a the ragl champion to make it from "WTF is that map" to "Yeah, it plays really well, awesome little map".

Mo

Post by Mo »

WhoCares wrote:
eskimo wrote: Currently i think we have enough maps atm unless something truly unique or different comes along.
The problem with the truly unique map, they need to be tested in order to reveal their unicity and their potential and from what i have seen right now, if you are a bit different of the "classic maps" in apearance,shape or general organisation, people are not really willing to test it.

I illustrate that with race track, it took a stream and the approval of a the ragl champion to make it from "WTF is that map" to "Yeah, it plays really well, awesome little map".
Got to agree with this. I think the map stream cannot be a one off thing if we keep wanting to see better maps added to the cycle. With new game iterations maps can come and go as people play them differently.

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

I agree with net, Eskimo, whocares, and mo.

1) there isn't a specific type of map we need more of. small, medium, large, huge, chokey, high eco, low eco, naval, etc. New maps bring in a wave of fresh air. Sidestep is a great map but I'm happy not having to play that map for a long time. Not every map is going to be good. Not every good map is going to have a lot of replayability.

2) What I feel is more important and helps bring in that wave of fresh air is new and unique maps. That doesn't necessarily mean that every map you make needs to be completely different but it does mean pumping out 96x96, 14 ore mine totals, 90k ore total maps over and over again severely limits what you can actually do to make the map unique and fun. This is something I feel soscared does pretty well. The majority of his maps I would say are fairly different. I try to aim for the same thing. My goto when making a map is "what if it had this?" The this can be something visual (race tracks) a theme (tyrants), a layout(the river maps), a way of playing the map (maps with fcoms) etc.

3)Fortunately, I've seen you sitting in lobbys broadcasting your maps almost daily, which means you should get plenty of plays on your map. But Eskimo and Whocares do have a point that getting quality games can be much harder when the maps feels truly different and especially once RAGL begins again. Just keep that in mind :)

4)A semi regular map stream would do wonders to bring out the best in maps. We saw it lorry's tourny and to some extent the times than net streamed maps. Such a stream is also hard to do. It would be hard sifting through bad maps repeatedly while also trying to make good criticisms of the maps. Additionally popularity obviously effects maps too. Like Whocares said Racetracks was kinda just up there before lorry gave it high praise. Soscared the other day said he wasn't a fan of it. I wouldn't doubt if Soscared had made that statement first the map could have just passed by. :)

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

Blackened wrote: I agree with net, Eskimo, whocares, and mo.

1) there isn't a specific type of map we need more of. small, medium, large, huge, chokey, high eco, low eco, naval, etc. New maps bring in a wave of fresh air. Sidestep is a great map but I'm happy not having to play that map for a long time. Not every map is going to be good. Not every good map is going to have a lot of replayability.

2) What I feel is more important and helps bring in that wave of fresh air is new and unique maps. That doesn't necessarily mean that every map you make needs to be completely different but it does mean pumping out 96x96, 14 ore mine totals, 90k ore total maps over and over again severely limits what you can actually do to make the map unique and fun. This is something I feel soscared does pretty well. The majority of his maps I would say are fairly different. I try to aim for the same thing. My goto when making a map is "what if it had this?" The this can be something visual (race tracks) a theme (tyrants), a layout(the river maps), a way of playing the map (maps with fcoms) etc.

3)Fortunately, I've seen you sitting in lobbys broadcasting your maps almost daily, which means you should get plenty of plays on your map. But Eskimo and Whocares do have a point that getting quality games can be much harder when the maps feels truly different and especially once RAGL begins again. Just keep that in mind :)

4)A semi regular map stream would do wonders to bring out the best in maps. We saw it lorry's tourny and to some extent the times than net streamed maps. Such a stream is also hard to do. It would be hard sifting through bad maps repeatedly while also trying to make good criticisms of the maps. Additionally popularity obviously effects maps too. Like Whocares said Racetracks was kinda just up there before lorry gave it high praise. Soscared the other day said he wasn't a fan of it. I wouldn't doubt if Soscared had made that statement first the map could have just passed by. :)

Yes

N/a

Post by N/a »

Yeah I agree with everyone thats posted actually, pretty sensible and logical feedback. Any revisions that need to be made WILL be made.

I will be trying to do as much map hosting as I can.

This poll is not that good, kind of rushed it... I'll be a bit more specific to my maps in later polls, I.E which ones are liked most etc...

Also would like to thank everyone in advance for all the help they have given on my map making journey. Got to love the team effort that goes into making better maps.

Hopefully although I'm told its a slim chance, I might be able to get a map in by the public poll for RAGL.

I'll work hard to refine em and do another poll as to which out of my maps are the favourites.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Maps Maps Maps. x

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Take your time. And don't be scared of sacking off designs after making them. I've sacked off so many hours of map making with the delete button and have 3 maps still in the works that are almost done from a few months back, but not gonna rush them out.