Disparaging players

what to do

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
zinc

Post by zinc »

If that's really the case that they are always helpful to new players, then great.

The best 1v1 are also some of the best (or the best) at team games. But no way would they find team games ridiculously easy, unless we are talking about them playing against rather inexperienced opponents. For one thing it depends on map style and team mates. However good you are, you can always get balanced-ish games depending on team mates, and the quality of the opposing team.

avalach21

Post by avalach21 »

The best solution would be to have a functioning account system in place with stat-keeping to make it harder for trolls to stay anonymous.. you would also be able to detect potential alt accounts by seeing it has few if any games

Kick/bans could also ban an account rather than an IP which can be easily switched.

Obviously an account system would bring many other benefits too.. I have seen it mentioned as a long term goal, but I imagine that would be a large undertaking to implement.

anjew

Post by anjew »

avalach21 wrote: Kick/bans could also ban an account rather than an IP which can be easily switched.
From what I've gathered accounts will never be required to play OpenRA, so potentially the account system will not 100% deal with this problem. The onus is on server operators to ban 'disruptive' players, as is the standard in most multiplayer games.

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

Lol just toughen up. I give zero fucks about what some dumbass says on OpenRA.

zinc

Post by zinc »

camundahl wrote: Lol just toughen up. I give zero fucks about what some dumbass says on OpenRA.
Even if people should in theory "toughen up" as you say, that still leaves the question as to whether the OP is correct or not, that this makes a significant difference to player numbers, and new players continuing with the game. If that's correct, should it just be ignored because new players aren't being "tough enough"?

avalach21

Post by avalach21 »

zinc wrote:
camundahl wrote: Lol just toughen up. I give zero fucks about what some dumbass says on OpenRA.
Even if people should in theory "toughen up" as you say, that still leaves the question as to whether the OP is correct or not, that this makes a significant difference to player numbers, and new players continuing with the game. If that's correct, should it just be ignored because new players aren't being "tough enough"?
I mean.. I don't really want a community of whiners and crybabys who complain everytime someone says a swear.. just my opinion lol

It's just part of online gaming culture... for better or for worse

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

zinc wrote:
Yes. Ignore them or ban them on server. There is nothing additional that needs to be coded unless they want to make a profanity filter for people sensitive to words lol.

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

New players are gonna quit when they get steam rolled online over and over. I've seen it happen with my own friends. Maybe a tracked name with player rank would help, or being able to set a handicap setting per player.

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

Ild love an in game ranking system however as anjew said user accounts would be needed and thats highly unlikely to happen.

zinc

Post by zinc »

avalach21 wrote: I mean.. I don't really want a community of whiners and crybabys who complain everytime someone says a swear.. just my opinion lol
Don't think mere swearing was really the issue in the first place. I think the issue was more people that are repeatedly jerks.

zinc

Post by zinc »

camundahl wrote: New players are gonna quit when they get steam rolled online over and over. I've seen it happen with my own friends. Maybe a tracked name with player rank would help, or being able to set a handicap setting per player.
OK but that's a different issue. New players may be potentially discouraged by various things.

By the way, couldn't we say that those players should "just toughen up" and take the beatings while they learn the game?

We want the players that quit because of getting steam rolled, but not the players that may quit because they dislike certain jerk players?

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

thats highly unlikely to happen.
Accounts are likely to happen sooner than later. A lot of work was already put into it

avalach21

Post by avalach21 »

netnazgul wrote:
thats highly unlikely to happen.
Accounts are likely to happen sooner than later. A lot of work was already put into it
That's awesome! Is there a thread or discussion where I can read more about how they intend to function?

As mentioned previously in this thread, I find it interesting that accounts would be implemented, but they would be optional? Is stat tracking also planned on being implemented? How about a "ranked" mode, or matchmaking system?

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

netnazgul wrote: Accounts are likely to happen sooner than later.
I wouldn't bet on that.

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

I wouldn't mind an account system. Would reduce smurfing too.

For real though, there's not much you can do about online bullying other than a "mute player" code.