Mod selector on startup

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Sleipnir

Re: Mod selector on startup

Post by Sleipnir »

avalach21 wrote: ^^ yes that is true. I'm sure I have old playtests installed but it would be convenient if OpenRA was built to keep track of them for me in an interface that would allow me to install and uninstall playtests and different mods (and maps) from within the application.
It is pretty unreasonable and unfair to expect us to compete with Microsoft, Apple, and the GNOME foundation / other Linux DE developers on these features which are already provided by your operating system. Each operating system has its own UI conventions, and, more importantly, security limitations, which make it completely impractical to do properly. We wasted several years and hundreds of hours limping along in that mode, and just ended up with a longer TODO list from when we started.

avalach21

Re: Mod selector on startup

Post by avalach21 »

Sleipnir wrote:
avalach21 wrote: ^^ yes that is true. I'm sure I have old playtests installed but it would be convenient if OpenRA was built to keep track of them for me in an interface that would allow me to install and uninstall playtests and different mods (and maps) from within the application.
It is pretty unreasonable and unfair to expect us to compete with Microsoft, Apple, and the GNOME foundation / other Linux DE developers on these features which are already provided by your operating system. Each operating system has its own UI conventions, and, more importantly, security limitations, which make it completely impractical to do properly. We wasted several years and hundreds of hours limping along in that mode, and just ended up with a longer TODO list from when we started.
That's fine... I'm not expecting anything of anyone lol. I am just happy I can play command and conquer in HD with other people over the internet :-) that makes me ecstatic. I love OpenRA and I hope it is around for years and years to come. The sky is the limit - I understand there are more imperative things that need attention, but in the long run, I think OpenRA could continue to become more intuitive for general users and could attract an even bigger community and more attention to mods by considering a simpler and easier way of browsing/discovering and managing user created content &mods. This is by no means an "expectation" just a long term dream :-)

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

avalach21:

Some of the long load times you mention has to do with maps installed on the system. If you have a lot of custom maps it can take awhile to load them up.

The other loads it seems to do (Could be wrong) is connection to the master online.

Loading races I did it takes about 4-6 seconds to load into the main menu spot, and about 2 seconds to load up the server list.