Allies GPS usage change

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

Does GPS needs tweaking?

Yes, GPS is an OP feature
18
56%
No, GPS is quite balanced as it is
13
41%
Yes, GPS needs buff
1
3%
 
Total votes: 32

User avatar
netnazgul
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:32 am
Location: Minsk
Contact:

Post by netnazgul » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:11 pm

Radar jammer modifications still do not alter the Allies/Soviet disbalance.

zinc
Posts: 657
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:46 pm

Post by zinc » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:05 pm

noobmapmaker wrote: I favour the large radius GPS. Gives incentive to build a forward Tech Center (riskyyyy) and incentive to build multiple TC's (costlyyy).
If people really wanted to go in this direction, wouldn't it make more sense using the radar rather than the tech center? The tech center launches the satellite, but the radar needs to be turned on to use it. (Even if that's a recent game development.)

zinc
Posts: 657
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:46 pm

Post by zinc » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:19 pm

To throw out a couple of ideas...

How about, the GPS is on all the time, but has a limited area of vision. However, there is an icon at the side, (like the Chrono/Iron Curtain etc), and you can click on that icon, and then click on the map to change the target area of vision. So you can see all over the map, but you need to work at it, and move about where the GPS is being targeted.

A couple of ways you could then play with the feature, would be changing the size of vision you have, and maybe also having a short delay before you could target to a different place. So maybe something like a 20 second timer on moving the GPS.

Previously in the thread spetsnaz84 suggested it moving outside of the player's control. Obviously I'm suggesting the opposite.


Also, maybe have an improved Spy Plane if you also have a tech center? More vision? Stays viewable for longer? Or just get them more regularly?

User avatar
Sleipnir
Posts: 770
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:52 pm
Contact:

Post by Sleipnir » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:41 am

Several posts have been removed from this thread for violating the forum rule about not intentionally derailing topics.

User avatar
Clockwork
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:50 am
Contact:

Post by Clockwork » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:06 am

My idea on deleting GPS all together was a serious contribution to the thread thanks. Soviet has zero equvilant and deleting GPS leaves each faction with 2 super weapons, Im unsure how this is violating the new regimes rules.

User avatar
Sleipnir
Posts: 770
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:52 pm
Contact:

Post by Sleipnir » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:17 am

It started the series of "delete OpenRA", "break your computer" etc posts that have no place in a serious discussion. Using the description "delete GPS" rather than "remove GPS" seems to confirm that it was intended as part of that off-topic comedy chain than as part of the current balance discussion.

User avatar
Clockwork
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:50 am
Contact:

Post by Clockwork » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:24 am

First off it was the first comment so I dont know how I couldve associated it with a future tense comment chain. If I used remove GPS would I get the same treatment if they said remove OpenRA from your desktop or remove your computer from the house? Delete and remove are so similar and I couldnt use my telepathy this time to read into the future of a troll comment chain.

User avatar
netnazgul
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:32 am
Location: Minsk
Contact:

Post by netnazgul » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:10 am

Updated the OP with ideas from the thread.

PS: pchote, you're doing great modding again, chopping the whole threads away without any warning and/or editing posts

Murto the Ray
Posts: 486
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:34 pm

Post by Murto the Ray » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:13 pm

A quick reminder that rules are enforced at a moderators discretion and that if you wish to debate the action taken it's best to talk one on one with said moderator (which Netnazgul has already done). Debating here is just derailing the topic further and puts everyone at fault.

I'll be removing any more off-topic chatter from here onward, so please keep things constructive and on topic :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, does anyone have some good examples of the GPS being OP?
Allies are a faction which a lot of potential vision and, while i think the power synergises well, I think they can get by without it.
GPS is also a large investment seeing as tier 3 units aren't great aside from a couple (Tanya, phase transport, ...).

So far there has been a lot of people assuming that GPS is OP and needs a nerf without providing any actual evidence.
Have you had many games that have done a 180 because of GPS? Post some replays!

User avatar
Clockwork
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:50 am
Contact:

Post by Clockwork » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:40 pm

Murto the Ray wrote:
Also, does anyone have some good examples of the GPS being OP?
Allies are a faction which a lot of potential vision and, while i think the power synergises well, I think they can get by without it.
GPS is also a large investment seeing as tier 3 units aren't great aside from a couple (Tanya, phase transport, ...).

So far there has been a lot of people assuming that GPS is OP and needs a nerf without providing any actual evidence.
Have you had many games that have done a 180 because of GPS? Post some replays!
This isn't a science hypothesis that needs to evidence and critical method. Its based on in game experiences by many players. If you want your evidence go in the actual game and play (im sure a match vs barf on Ysmir will change your opinion) - you pick up on things that way :)

Murto the Ray
Posts: 486
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:34 pm

Post by Murto the Ray » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:06 pm

Happy wrote: -Snip-
Changes must be pitched on github where you don't always have the luxury of users having had the same experience. Replays are a good place to start gathering evidence and is a good way to get other players on board. It's only a suggestion but evidence can only help your case for changes and get them implemented faster.

User avatar
Clockwork
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:50 am
Contact:

Post by Clockwork » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:17 pm

Fair enough, ill try and scan my replays for any instances. I do know a few games that have been down to the wire with a miraculous win vs GPS, I was on the receiving end of one of these :(

User avatar
anjew
Posts: 521
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:16 am

Post by anjew » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:24 pm

Happy wrote: -snip-
If your argument is still to completely remove the GPS I'd say it needs to be quite some evidence. GPS is an integral part of Red Alert regardless of its strength.

If you are considering radical ideas towards GPS then how about providing it to soviet AND allies while making the chronosphere better?
Image

User avatar
Clockwork
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:50 am
Contact:

Post by Clockwork » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:31 pm

anjew wrote:
Happy wrote: -snip-
If your argument is still to completely remove the GPS I'd say it needs to be quite some evidence. GPS is an integral part of Red Alert regardless of its strength.

If you are considering radical ideas towards GPS then how about providing it to soviet AND allies while making the chronosphere better?
It was a suggestion not my intent. My personal opinion is both GPS and iron curtain need some kind of nerf but it was more to kick start even more discussion. Both of them ideas are rational and should be added to the list - sometimes the extremes are the best option. The response was more to the "lot of people assuming that GPS is OP and needs a nerf without providing any actual evidence." - I have to clarify it is not an assumption we have played and have come to a kind of similar opinion that GPS is disgusting in the same way 400$ pillboxes were a release ago.

In fact now I'm liking the idea of giving soviets and allies GPS but as you said chrono would need some sort of buff. But a huge problem with GPS is allies vs allies because soviets can iron curtain flaks to thin out the horde of arty. When its an allied mirror its a static arty v arty match which could translate to if both soviets and Allies had GPS.

User avatar
3.Lucian
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:32 pm
Location: Brisbane

Post by 3.Lucian » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:17 pm

you might just perceive gps to be unbalanced.
it could all be in your mind,
it may not need changing at all.

/endthread

Post Reply