Playtest Discussion

Playtest 20170902

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Murto the Ray

Playtest Discussion

Post by Murto the Ray »

Download: LINK
Changelog: LINK
News Post: LINK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new playtest is out and you know what that means.... a new discussion!

The changes affecting gameplay for this playtest are:

General:
  • Fixed some movement stuttering issues. [#13830]
    Fixed the delay some units had before responding to movement orders.
Red Alert:
  • Fixed the SAM Site hitshape. [#13738]
    The Sam Site hitshape has been changed to better reflect it's sprite.
  • Fixed stances not being available on MiG and Yak. [#13695]
    MiGs and Yaks now have stances.
  • Fine-tuned some vision ranges, particularly versus generated gap. [#13712]
    Structure vision ranges now decrease when under gap enemy gap generators.
  • Added RevealOnDeath trait to aircraft. [#13878]
    The area around an aircraft is revealed upon death which allows the player to watch it crash.
  • Slightly re-increased Artillery damage versus infantry and buildings. [#13877]
    Artillery does slightly more damage vs infantry and buildings.
  • Several more balance adjustments[#13790, #13930]
    SoScared's balance patch, head here for details.
Tiberian Dawn:
  • Fixed the SAM Site hitshape. [#13738]
    The Sam Site hitshape has been changed to better reflect it's sprite.
  • Added husk to Supply Truck. [#13795]
    The supply truck now produces a husk on death.
  • Engineer movement speed reduced to 48 from 56. [#13764]
    The engineer now moves slower.
  • Helicopter crash damage increased to 100 from 40. [#13764]
    Helicopter crashes are now more destructive.
  • Orca damage against no armor reduced to 30 from 50. [#13764]
    Orcas now do less damage to actors with no armor such as most infantry.
  • Increased HP and added heavy armor type to bridges. [#13776]
    Bridges now have more health and have the heavy armor type.
Dune 2000:
  • Fixed incorrect sonic tank damage. [#13870]
    Sonic Tank damage have been adjusted for the introduction of multiple hitshapes.
Please keep discussions constructive and on topic!
Last edited by Murto the Ray on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Looking forward to trying this today. I had a quick play in skirmish last night and the adjustment to the A move key press is really good. The appeared delay removal of infantry exiting the barracks also good. Am excited to play some of the SoS 1.6 changes, i has enjoyed that playtest

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Havent been able to play the playtest yet, busy with other OpenRA things. How is the current situation with the stances? Has someone casted games with these stances?
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

3.Lucian

Post by 3.Lucian »

its better, but its still wacky.

youve got to be real clear when you want do old school a move, select the units, change stance to attack anything, then a-move.

of course once things heat up, you're too busy to do this, so your blob ends up standing around in the enemy base, admiring the architecture.

far too much fiddling around to get the same behaviour that was default in the release. thumbs down from me

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

I like it :) I enjoy A-moving into bases now. Finaly my soldiers are more intelligent than impact-bombs and only fire at stuff that hurts them.

Also the warfactory buff makes me want to have more than 1 ^^

Check out Dune2k-Advanced on my moddb page!

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

3.Lucian wrote: its better, but its still wacky.

youve got to be real clear when you want do old school a move, select the units, change stance to attack anything, then a-move.

of course once things heat up, you're too busy to do this, so your blob ends up standing around in the enemy base, admiring the architecture.

far too much fiddling around to get the same behaviour that was default in the release. thumbs down from me
I will have to heavily practice this. I'm a lazy attacker and my infantry is very fond of architecture...
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

We are considering an "Assault Move" order that enables current-release-style a-move without having to switch stances. It can be activated by holding ctrl when issuing an attack move order (the cursor changes to tell you which mode you are in).

I encourage people to try this prototype build to see whether it is worth adding in a final playtest: The feature is taken from C&C3, but can also be thought of as a refined UI for WhoCares' toggle building suggestion that applies to attack-move orders only.

JOo

Post by JOo »

i guess we cant make that "Assault Move" re-bindable ?

no sweat if not , but im actually missing the left "Ctrl"-key on my laptop ... so its practically a dead key for me ... i can live with having to use the right-Ctrl for the occasionally force-fire ... but the addition of another function for the left-Ctrl forces me to use a Usb-keyboard unless its re-bindable

other then that , i've tested it and it seems pretty convenient to me

:+1:

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

Good Idea and would be a worthy addition, has some issues though.

When I press the button combo for assault move and click fast (~.2sec) (like i would in a game) then the game executes a normal attack move instead. I think it needs to be an extra (rebindable) button instead of a switch to make that work. So it doesnt matter if "ctrl" or "A" was pressed first.

You might also consider switching atry default to attack anything, because it is the most commonly expected behaviour for that unit. I did that in d2kA right away. Of course, it's a design decision if you prefer uniform stances on units exiting the warfactory or not..
(also chase distance could become a trait so it can be set to zero for artilellery units on attack anything..)

The cursor is too similar to attack move. Maybe have the cursor rotate, or tint it yellow while assault move is enabled so it is absoutely clear which command is given.

Needs to be represented in the command bar as well.
Last edited by SirCake on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

It is a modifier rather than a switch. You need to keep the ctrl key held down while you click. The final version will include new cursors for both attack and assault move in D2K - before now that just reused the normal attack cursor.

Adding it as its own button would require designing new glyphs for probably both assault and attack move, redoing the command bar artwork in all of the mods, and adding a new hotkey definition (which is something that has changed considerably on bleed for the release after next). That is too much work, so isn't going to happen before a release.

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

Did this to illustrate how-it-could-look and mainly to play around with 10-year-old corel RAVE ;):D
I can improve upon/change if you request...
Attachments
AssaultCursorShps.zip
both as 40 x40 shp files
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
reversed order rotating
reversed order rotating
Cursor.gif (11.61 KiB) Viewed 14491 times
yellow
yellow
Cursor2.gif (11.78 KiB) Viewed 14491 times

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

Isn't yellow reserved for "guard" command though?

They look splendid, though.
RAGL -->Replay Archive<--

barf_openra

Post by barf_openra »

I've only played one skirmish test of the new assault move command but based on that I feel this compromise is the best solution so far. It addresses what I have always considered to be the main problem with the stance changes: the need to use the Attack Anything stance to auto-clear a base, and the issues that come along with having units in the AA stance.

I understand that the command is a modifier rather than a switch but it wasn't clear to me if the Assault Move command would be re-mappable to a different key than Ctrl?

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

barf_openra wrote: I understand that the command is a modifier rather than a switch but it wasn't clear to me if the Assault Move command would be re-mappable to a different key than Ctrl?
Not for this release, but maybe in the next.

I wouldn't oppose having an option in the Input settings for "Assault move by default", with ctrl to activate attack move - but this would need to be driven by a real need, not just a "well why not?" reaction.

3.Lucian

Post by 3.Lucian »

I think this would probably end a lot of contention if implemented intuitively
<3