Toxic community.

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
zinc

Post by zinc »

Early radar is another thing. I mean they aren't even rushing air. They just want a radar for some reason...

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

zinc wrote:
Chimpo wrote:
Happy wrote:
Chimpo wrote: I facepalm quite a bit and try and bite my tongue when I see some newbie mistakes ( early infantry spam)
LOL, I'm guessing these are team game errors? I'm sure double ref opener is very legitimate strategy?

Usually off a single ref or no ref.
What, spend all their cash early on troops, and then:

(1) march them into enemy pillbox.
Or:
(2) just keep them in the base doing nothing

?

Am seriously face palming right now

No. What he will do is a 3 mins timed push and kill your eco.
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

It's painfull. No offence Zinc but have you ever played RA mod?

zinc

Post by zinc »

Happy wrote: It's painfull. No offence Zinc but have you ever played RA mod?
Of course.

And newbies *will do* those exact things mentioned. They will spend all their cash early on troops and then do nothing effective with them. And they will build an early radar for no reason.

Why on earth are you asking me if I have ever played RA mod for saying that!?

zinc

Post by zinc »

JuiceBox wrote:
zinc wrote:
Chimpo wrote:
Happy wrote:
Chimpo wrote: I facepalm quite a bit and try and bite my tongue when I see some newbie mistakes ( early infantry spam)
LOL, I'm guessing these are team game errors? I'm sure double ref opener is very legitimate strategy?

Usually off a single ref or no ref.
What, spend all their cash early on troops, and then:

(1) march them into enemy pillbox.
Or:
(2) just keep them in the base doing nothing

?

Am seriously face palming right now

No. What he will do is a 3 mins timed push and kill your eco.
I'm talking about newbies mate, so, er, I don't think so...

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

zinc wrote:
Of course.

And newbies *will do* those exact things mentioned. They will spend all their cash early on troops and then do nothing effective with them. And they will build an early radar for no reason.

I thought you meant in terms of good players cause that would've been a really bad comment my apologies. I read things closer in future and stop being young and reckless, there's so much stupid stuff flying around I get jumped up at anything that seems silly my bad :p

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

Happy wrote:
zinc wrote:
Of course.

I thought you meant in terms of good players cause that would've been a really bad comment my apologies. I read things closer in future and stop being young and reckless, there's so much stupid stuff flying around I get jumped up at anything that seems silly my bad :p
https://youtu.be/2PlgN0ta6E8?t=35s

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

Blackened wrote:
Happy wrote:
zinc wrote:
Of course.

https://youtu.be/2PlgN0ta6E8?t=35s
I try but these forums have turned me into a monster ;(

libbmaster

Post by libbmaster »

zinc wrote: Early radar is another thing. I mean they aren't even rushing air. They just want a radar for some reason...
I haven't played multi-player in this game but: I find radar to be extremely useful for maintaining map awareness, and jumping my camera around the battlefield.

Additionally, many games provide radar by default. Odds are, those new people just don't feel comfortable without a mini-map.

lovalmidas

Post by lovalmidas »

Ask the early spenders if they got past mission 2 on the singleplayer. :P

GeneralMelon_gone

Post by GeneralMelon_gone »

Felt like posting about this too. I played OpenRA for a few months off and on now and need to get this off my chest. I'll try to get over this without swearing.

It is amazing just how stupid most of the players seem to be. On some servers, half of the players are too stupid to pick the team, or deduct from the geography of the map what team they should be in. The classic is people not picking teams of course. About 30% of the playerhood needs an extra-invitation per chat before they pick a team. They can't click ready either, they're probably busy breathing through their mouths.

I've legimitely seen maps with 8 starting points, 4 players in team 2, 3 players in team 1, and the remaining unteamed player seriously asked what team he should be in. Not just once, but dozens of times.

I've seen people suggesting ffa on maps that were completely not made for it.

Some players have been zombie-ing around in team games literally for months and don't improve. When I see some player names in the lobby it's hard to look forward to the match. I'm not gonna say who, but I have a mental list of absolutely stunningly bad players in my head who I try not to play with. I estimate OpenRA has maybe 50 regular team players, at least 25 of them are professional unit hoarders. That means they don't attack, most of the time they don't even defend, and quit as soon as they're attacked. They just send their units on paid vacation.

Unit hoarders are my favourites. Half of the players in this game do not seem to know the game objectives, or do not want to fulfill them. There are players who just want to secure their chunk of the map. That's nice and social of you but you're not playing the game but fucking it up for everyone else.

I'm not even going to mention the rage quitting, intentional causing of lag that I've seen multiple times, people intentionally crashing the server (I flipped board games when I was 6 years old too, but we're all around 30 aren't we?).

Basically the playerhood is so bad, 90% of the time you're in a bad team and can only hope that the enemy team is worse.

There's some guy with a new "new" map every day. It's the same map except he adds some shit to get an advantage over everyone else in an ffa. Except he still never wins. The day later he's back with a new map where he either hid a secret lab for himself or laid mines that only he knows about and so on. It feels like playing with 10 year olds.

I mean I played CS 1.6 and it wasn't this bad.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, you have 50 players, and 40 of them do nothing but fuck up the game for the rest. It's pretty hard to play unless you're into 1on1s which I am not.

Then there are tons of people claiming they don't lag but fuck up every game. One time someone paused a game saying he has to take a s***. And so on. It's just painful. You wait 20 minutes for a game and 90% of the time it's complete s***. It's partly the maps fault I guess... partly..

I really wonder where these people came from. I imagine most OpenRA players played at least Red Alert before. But they play for weeks or months like it's their first day in a strategy game. I'm not even great myself but how about securing choke points and so on?

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

This! This is why nobody takes that sector seriously. Its very harsh but its very true and its basicly every experiance ive had in a game bigger than 2v2. Get into 1v1's man you will enjoy RA more and keep your sanity intact :lol:

GeneralMelon_gone

Post by GeneralMelon_gone »

And I think the solution is just mass advertisement. Maybe there'll still be mainly noobs but at least new noobs. Besides that I still enjoy playing. This is still one of the most successful open source game projects I know about. Thumbs up for that.

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

Funny post :lol:

In all seriousness tho he is right. First impressions count, Considering the team games are the majority a random new guys will experience this absolute chaos as the norm. Unfortunately not much can be done about this.
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

JOo

Post by JOo »

GeneralMelon wrote: One time someone paused a game saying he has to take a s***. And so on. It's just painful.