General Discussion / Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Put all your ideas, questions, and suggestions in here

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

Today suggestion,

It's frustrating in "unit preservation gameplay" that soviet infantry can only get veterancy (stat boost) in trading of their life. Wich mean when they become better, they have so few life they no't become really usefull. vet3 rifle with 10% hp ...

Should we have like slow regen for infantry vet1, something similar as the hospital provide. so based on the fact that allies don't have the advantage to get benefit of full life vetted infantry.?

I'd like to hear your opinion about that. (you can spare me the "get the hospital")

Orb

Post by Orb »

I know in some games (I forget which, CnC Generals?) you can load infantry into a barracks to heal them. Maybe that would be a good idea. It might open up new defensive tactics as well (for better or for worse).

A better idea might be to give the APC a small AOE heal or something.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

WhoCares wrote: Today suggestion,

It's frustrating in "unit preservation gameplay" that soviet infantry can only get veterancy (stat boost) in trading of their life. Wich mean when they become better, they have so few life they no't become really usefull. vet3 rifle with 10% hp ...

Should we have like slow regen for infantry vet1, something similar as the hospital provide. so based on the fact that allies don't have the advantage to get benefit of full life vetted infantry.?

I'd like to hear your opinion about that. (you can spare me the "get the hospital")
Maybe building the tech center triggers the self heal comparable to the hospital?
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

ShadowAssassin wrote:
noobmapmaker wrote: What % of a game of 1v1 RA is (approximatly) skill and how much is luck?
How does this change for 1v1 TD?

Given that roulette is 100% luck and chess is a game of 0% luck (which is only theoretically true as you can be lucky that your opponent has a bad day,). Most games are something n between.
IMO luck is only related to random events, such as : crushes, arty selling precision, rifleman spawn from selling, crates if enabled, ... (+ if we consider imbalance issues as "bad luck" but I don't)

For me all the rest is based on strategy, tactics and decisions like WhoCares said !
So for me I'd say 1% chance based !
There´s also luck in the opponent being unlucky with scouting: just not scouting an essential building or an army near the base that is just out of vision. Or if a player moves in his units in a base from an angle where just a tech center has been placed - stuff like that.

Alltogether I´d say RA is at least 90% skill. But it´s hard to tell.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

zinc

Post by zinc »

Orb wrote: I know in some games (I forget which, CnC Generals?) you can load infantry into a barracks to heal them. Maybe that would be a good idea. It might open up new defensive tactics as well (for better or for worse).

A better idea might be to give the APC a small AOE heal or something.
I like the barracks thing. It wouldn't take away the advantage of medics, or hospitals, but would still allow for it.

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

If we agree this is a problem, best idea I can come up with is adding AoE heal aura for barracks. Preferably it would be non-stacking aura because stacking auras sounds overpowered.

Garrisoning infantry inside barracks sounds incredibly tedious gameplay mechanic and I am definately against that.
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu

zinc

Post by zinc »

Doomsday wrote: If we agree this is a problem, best idea I can come up with is adding AoE heal aura for barracks. Preferably it would be non-stacking aura because stacking auras sounds overpowered.

Garrisoning infantry inside barracks sounds incredibly tedious gameplay mechanic and I am definately against that.
Yeah that would work fine also. Maybe an improvement.

I'm not sure it would be that much of an issue to send (e.g.) ten troops into the barracks and then have them automatically come out in 30 seconds with full health.

Mo

Post by Mo »

I disagree about having a barracks aura because with forward barracks during a base push, what that essentially means is a boost of health for an offensive barracks with units pumping out.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

Yes. Put a healing aura on barracks please. /lol

zinc

Post by zinc »

Mo wrote: I disagree about having a barracks aura because with forward barracks during a base push, what that essentially means is a boost of health for an offensive barracks with units pumping out.
Yeah good point. I would still favour being able to send them into a barracks to heal them.

Everything else in the game can be healed, so Soviet troops are an exception to the rule. (There are a couple of ways it can still happen but you know what I'm saying.) If you allow sending them into the barracks it shouldn't make any major change to gameplay or undermine the benefits of medics as a faction specific unit.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

Crazy idea - change hospital from a neutral building into a building that everyone can build. Also change its effect from healing everyone into a healing aura. Have it cost roughly the same as service depot.

Wippie

Post by Wippie »

SImple question: Is it possible to make the hit rate of rockets dependend on the speed of the object it is trying to hit?

E.g.:
- 100% vs walls/buildings/stationary vehicles
- 90% moving mammoth tanks
- 70% moving light tank/apc
- 50% moving ranger

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

it's probably doable, but I'm guessing it'd be complicated as hell

Wippie

Post by Wippie »

In my opinion it could be beneficial to both gameplay and realism.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

I don't know how to specifically mod the weapons other than what is already there; in particular, I don't know how to give weapons conditionals other than assigning certain units a second armament. What I'm thinking is that you could give the rocket soldier 5 different rockets, and give them all different conditions depending on what vehicle you want to shoot at. I think I tried this once, but it just broke the map...