WhoCares

New-blood presentation

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
WhoCares

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

Hello everyone

I don't know if there a section, a post or anything related to introduce yourself so i'll do it here.

I'm a 31 year old Belgian living in Paraguay who played T.D and R.A when they originally have been released long time ago.
Seduced by the openra concept and convinced by the watchable content available online (cast & replays),I decided to introduce myself here with the intention to join your “little†(all proportion respected) community,

I use the nick “WhoCares†and I will be around seeking 1v1 with the objective to learn the game and improve myself with the hope to reinforce the comp-scene when the time will come. Being the only Paraguayan player, I don't think I'll be able to use fake nicks anyway.

Owner of a small business (resto-bar) which requires a lot of my time, I don't know if I will have the time to participate to the next RAGL (I take the subscription and commitment very seriously in regard of other players and the staff and I don't want to join and drop it later) but if not this year, clearly the next one for sure.

I'd like to thank Fiveaces and Soscared for their work providing material to enjoy the game at a community level (I watched all the cast before trying my first online game) and all the players I met so far which have been nice and respectful towards the new-blood I am.

If there is any vocalchat of the community, I always enjoy vocal company playing and I will be glad to join.

See you in the lobby hoping to get stomped a lot !

WhoCares

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

Hello and welcome!

here is an old thread that discussed a bit of strategy, build orders, ways to play the game more competitive, etc. http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... tegy+guide

As to RAGL you don't have to participate if you don't want to, however the league is set up in such a way that if you do get too busy you can request to forfeit the season, which normally drops you down a level. As you are new, you would start at the lowest level. anyway So there isn't even the worry to derank. Playing in the RAGL is a good way to grow your skillset as you will play against players near your skill level and a few above or below.

Grabbing replays of RAGL matches is also a good way to learn too (but you don't have to be in the league to do that)

Lastly, The community is a bit split for voice chat. Some people :shifty: prefer discord. And some people :shifty: prefer mumble. Both would be good to have.

Mumble:

Mumble server address: 64h.mine.nu
Mumble server port: standard (64738) (can be omitted)

--OR (if you already have it installed, try out one of these "mumble-links" below)--

mumble://mumble.openra.net
mumble://64h.mine.nu
mumble://openra.endoftheinternet.org
Discord:
https://discord.gg/WhFUP75

JOo

Post by JOo »

also visit our irc-channel if you have any technical/modding related questions or want to contribute to the project

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Welcome to ORA :D

I like the name lol. WhoCares but also the shortened version. WC in the hooouuuse!

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

Welcome!
Looking forward to seeing you on the battlefield !
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

Very warm welcome also from me, as I am sure you will enjoy your time in the ORA community.

Of course you don't have to participate in the League, but keep in mind that when it comes to planning matchups you have a very wide window when to play your matches (basically you have one week for each matchup to have taken place somewhere in that week. You can pretty much freely plan when this matchup should take place with your current opponent of the week.

So don't feel swarmed.
League information and rules/schedules can be gathered from the pinned threads in "General Discussion"

Welcome aboard!
RAGL -->Replay Archive<--

Fortnight

Post by Fortnight »

Well met!

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Welcome from another noob here ;)

I found ORA has quite a progressive learning curve, i've been picking up steam quite rapidly now i've had many games, so stick with it as the 1vs1 games are quite hard to begin with but it pays off when you learn from your mistakes.

Hopefully see you on the battlefield!

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

Thank you for your welcome.

I'll install the chat program and will come check the channels out. I'll also install mirc (omg my last irc install is almost 8 years ago).

I often have a small window to play some short games (thank god I'm still bad). I try to choose wisely the moment to not be interrupted by professional duty (beer provider ringing the bell) or my one year old son which without any reason still don't get how important my ra game are and start pulling my computers cables crying out loud.

So i want to apologize in advance for any "pauses" or game interruptions that could happen even if try to avoid all the stuff said previously.

otherwise, few games further, I'm still happy about the players i meet and the small progress i do.

Wippie

Post by Wippie »

Heya WhoCares,

Nice to have you on board. We played some really nice practice games today. Good to see your Paraquay connection holding up just fine.

C ya on the battlefield!

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

Thx you, i do my bast with my free time trying to improve, playing like today helps a lot, thx for the games. see you in the lobby. (my connect holds up better than my focus :))