New Player + Questions

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
eskimo

New Player + Questions

Post by eskimo »

[edit]

NEW QUESTION!

What are peoples connection speeds like? Whilst i used to play on 56k to 8mb down and 0.5mb up on RA2. Now i've got 20mb down and 1mb. Is that enough for this? This game also seems surprisingly power hungry versus OG C&C/RA (my old computer couldn't run it)

Thanks again

[edit finish]

Hey everyone!

Glad to have found this game, think i found it through Fiveaces Youtube accidentally after searching for CNCnet. Consequently built a new PC just for it cause my old one couldn't handle it :lol:

Played a few games so far and it's great. Sadly old Red Alert 2 habits are taking precedence currently and the fact i'm playing on a 32" tv while sat on the floor(!) making micro and macro a mission in itself. I've played CnC on and off since Tib Dawn 95 and this feels the most balanced and creative.

Love the streams Soscared and FA's put out, really enjoyable. I'm also playing nothing but Sidestep to learn atm!

Some questions that i couldn't find the answer to.

1. SPACEBAR, it feels like it doesn't benefit me at all and would be better off using as selecting a unit type or something. Radar events are so few, or is this just me?

2. Can i disable any hot keys via settings in notepad (windows) any way?

3. What's with the black border around the map? I'm sure i'll adjust to it, but what's the reasoning behind it?

4. What is "toggle player stance colours?"

Many thanks and hopefully we'll play sometime
Last edited by eskimo on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doomsday

Re: New Player + Questions

Post by Doomsday »

Howdy. Nice to have another player. I am also fairly new.
eskimo wrote: 1. SPACEBAR, it feels like it doesn't benefit me at all and would be better off using as selecting a unit type or something. Radar events are so few, or is this just me?
I don't use jump to last radar event hotkey. My spacebar is attack move. It tends to be the most common hotkey I use.
eskimo wrote: 2. Can i disable any hot keys via settings in notepad (windows) any way?
I don't know the answer but as a backup solution I have put all unnecessary commands in some single key that's far from my fingers.
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu

Fortnight

Post by Fortnight »

eskimo wrote: 1. SPACEBAR, it feels like it doesn't benefit me at all and would be better off using as selecting a unit type or something. Radar events are so few, or is this just me?
In team games you can place beacons to notify team mates on stuff that is going on, there might be bigger need for it then.
eskimo wrote: 3. What's with the black border around the map? I'm sure i'll adjust to it, but what's the reasoning behind it?
I think it's just an oversight or limitation with the engine. I also want that issue solved, should be straight edges to clearly mark it as the edge of the map. It's pretty disorienting and there's a gameplay problem right now that you can hide helicopters and units outside the map (in the shroud that is around the top edge). I don't even think the auto-target code can fire missiles at those unless it was fixed recently.
eskimo wrote: 4. What is "toggle player stance colours?"
It's similar to the typical red/blue "team colours" in other games so that you can see enemies more clearly.

What it does in OpenRA however is it changes the minimap/radar dots to be either red for enemies, yellow for team mates and green for yourself. The HP bars are also changed to be green/red/yellow. The units themselves still have the different colors chosen by the players.

The text "Player Stance Colors" ought to be changed to something a little more clear, like "Show Team Colors On Radar". And/or have a tooltip with a description when you hover over the checkbox.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

#1: Can be used to center screen on player placed beacons in team games.

#3: Depicts the max map size.

Welcome to ORA! Hope you enjoy :D

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

As your questions have been answered I'll leave it to the greetings.

Welcome to OpenRA !

Don't forget to check this thread out
http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... sc&start=0

Look forward to seeing you on the battlefield Commander!
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

Fortnight

Post by Fortnight »

AoAGeneral1 wrote: #3: Depicts the max map size.
What does that mean? The shroud around the edges of the map doesn't tell about its size, I think I'm misunderstanding you. :drunk:

anjew

Post by anjew »

Fortnight wrote:
AoAGeneral1 wrote: #3: Depicts the max map size.
What does that mean? The shroud around the edges of the map doesn't tell about its size, I think I'm misunderstanding you. :drunk:
It doesn't specifically have a number in it saying how many pixels wide, it is those pixels wide. It literally shows you the map size since it is the map.

Also I think the reasoning (if intentional) behind being able to scroll off the map and into the map border is so that battles can be centred on the screen. At 1920x1080 on a decently sized monitor, having to micro a battle in the top corners of your screen is quite excruciating

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Thanks for the warm welcome, and i have some good news too! (below)
JuiceBox wrote: As your questions have been answered I'll leave it to the greetings.

Welcome to OpenRA !

Don't forget to check this thread out
http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... sc&start=0

Look forward to seeing you on the battlefield Commander!
Great thread! Many thanks as i hadn't seen it.

Managed to get some time for a few games tonight. I've been mostly defeated, allies artillery and soviet rushes are killing me (literally), but i'll get there :lol:

I played a game and got called a "liar" several times as i said i was new to the game, and not to hold back as i want to learn, by someone i defeated. Well they surrendered. I got my base expansions in quick, kept on top of area scouting, blitzed his choppers out of the sky, micro'd my tanks with riflemen and rockies well. He quit after i built an Abomb and knocked his 7 hinds out the sky cause he didn't think to check if i had riflemen...

I tried to prove my innocence and 5aces and SoScared streams are what helped me, but he wasn't interested or aware of them. It's been a long time since i've PC gamed, but i'd thought an Opensource game would harness mostly people who were die-hard about Red Alert as opposed to the one click install CNCnet build.

Anyway, thanks again and see you on the battlefield, or maybe the league :lol:

[edit]
To avoid any further confrontations, i'm gonna pretend i'm not a new player now, despite 10 games now. I just won again against someone who underestimated me i think. Base rushed 5 rockies in an APC, blocked the warfactory while popping the MCV, and used the APC to crush the men. Then his other base went down with my blob.
But funnily enough i let my MCV drive into his rockies who were coming for me. :lol:

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

Glad your having fun with it mate.

The rush
Little advice keep some rifles dotted around your base vrs soviet for gren rushes And have a pillbox ready after wf for a flamer rush. Scouting is your best friend too.

Vrs arty
If your opponent gets arty before you best thing to do is not panic. Don't send your troops in after them. Shift your focus get dome tech and transition to light tanks or flackstrucks in the meantime. Don't try and get them while they are dug into a base wait till they get greedy and move out that's when they are vulnerable.
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

zinc

Post by zinc »

With artillery, learn to use it yourself is one way to counter. Use helis for vision. You want them far enough forward to see your targets, but not so far that they get taken out by the enemy AA. So use helis for vision and protect them with AA and other base defence. Target the enemy artillery, or target their AA and then you can take them out with air.

If playing Soviets, then teching up fast can be the answer. Iron curtain flak trucks and they will easiily cut through both the enemy artillery and any helis around. You can also use yaks. You will probably lose them to AA but you can often keep them under control even if it means you lose your planes.

Also, since the latest release lowered the range of artillery, it is now more possible to counter it with V2 (I mean without using iron curtain). You will likely lose them in the process, but again, it's about containing the problem. You can also sometimes pick off their helis with flak trucks (without iron curtain) and take away their vision to use them.

And of course you can always target their radar and take away their ability to build them.

Fortnight

Post by Fortnight »

anjew wrote: It doesn't specifically have a number in it saying how many pixels wide, it is those pixels wide. It literally shows you the map size since it is the map.
That just confused me further. Are you speaking about the radar/minimap? :o0: Then everything makes sense to me. :)

I think OP (eskimo) was asking about the shroud around the edges of the map, not the small radar/minimap version in the top right corner. At least that's what I thought! :drunk: I've seen many people that have never played OpenRA before being tricked by the shroud around the edge of the map, the first thing they do is move units there thinking its the way to the enemy and then get a bit confused when the shroud doesn't go away. :lol: That's why I assumed eskimo referred to the fading edge around the map itself.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Fortnight wrote: I think OP (eskimo) was asking about the shroud around the edges of the map, not the small radar/minimap version in the top right corner. At least that's what I thought! :drunk: I've seen many people that have never played OpenRA before being tricked by the shroud around the edge of the map, the first thing they do is move units there thinking its the way to the enemy and then get a bit confused when the shroud doesn't go away. :lol: That's why I assumed eskimo referred to the fading edge around the map itself.
Yeah exactly that, and doing exactly that! :lol:
I'm still adjusting. As i always find myself moving up to the edge to send a scout and can't select anywhere on the map. It makes doing sly movement commands round the edge hard.
zinc wrote: If playing Soviets, then teching up fast can be the answer. Iron curtain flak trucks and they will easiily cut through both the enemy artillery and any helis around. You can also use yaks. You will probably lose them to AA but you can often keep them under control even if it means you lose your planes.

Also, since the latest release lowered the range of artillery, it is now more possible to counter it with V2 (I mean without using iron curtain). You will likely lose them in the process, but again, it's about containing the problem. You can also sometimes pick off their helis with flak trucks (without iron curtain) and take away their vision to use them.

And of course you can always target their radar and take away their ability to build them.
Many thanks. I will try flakk trucks on the outflank as they're fast and my micro is getting better again. Still learning the best counters atm. The Yak crashes are fun(!), but i think the trade doesn't work too well for me.
JuiceBox wrote: Little advice keep some rifles dotted around your base vrs soviet for gren rushes And have a pillbox ready after wf for a flamer rush. Scouting is your best friend too.
Thanks. I only play as Ukraine atm, i hope to go random eventually. But this i have noticed, allies do appear to go for the late game and i keep forgetting to tech up to airstrip quickly being Ukraine.

I do think as a newcomer to openRA allies would be a good choice, but i like learning the hard way it seems :lol:

Played my first Tib Dawn game, that was weird. I won, but only through good guesses on what units to place where. Everything is so different again, and GDI get turrets. That was weird.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

I had a new player suggest turrets remain for Nod rather then on both sides just like Guard Towers. I agree actually but im trying to figure out how to balance the turret vs infantry. The Guard Tower we had some debates about changable infantry so placing a rocket infantry inside would make it an anti tank tower. Specially helpful against Nod rushes using buggy and bike plays.

The Turret is weird. Trying to have it do enough damage to kill infantry but not incredibly fast at the sametime.

Huh. Actually maybe I will start testing with that again starting now.