Kick artilllery out of OpenRA red alert...

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Fahrrad

Kick artilllery out of OpenRA red alert...

Post by Fahrrad »

and clear the way for the GDI Rocket launcher. What do you think?

zinc

Re: Kick artilllery out of OpenRA red alert...

Post by zinc »

Fahrrad wrote: and clear the way for the GDI Rocket launcher. What do you think?
I like open ra artillery. It creates a non-stop intensity to games when you get into them. There is always action.

I remember someone saying there is nothing more boring than allies vs allies artillery games. And I disagree. Artillery is fun, and it's not like you just win games with pure artillery. (Although sometimes possible more or less to do that.) It's also balancing naval, and air, and nukes, and trying to take out the enemy nuke, and putting together a sneak attack or naval transport invasion. Artillery is just one aspect of the game and it's a good aspect.

And of course, I'm not saying all games should be heavily dependent on artillery use. It's also great that we have more open maps that favour a different style of play. There is already room for tank army stuff if that's what you like.

So yeah, there is no problem with it and I don't believe it's unbalanced with regard to the soviet factions. Maybe you could point to specific cases where games would be unfair but broadly speaking, in team games across a variety of maps, allies vs soviets are more or less balanced and both sides can be successfully played and enjoyed.

klaas

Post by klaas »

Artillery is here to stay.

And I actually like the unit. There, I said it. The problem with basewalking and shelling can be solved by making base def. more expensive, and out in the open, artillery is a high risk/ high reward unit. Like the V2, but also different. Perfect for making the game more interesting IMHO.