[Idea] OpenRA Battlefield

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
JOo

[Idea] OpenRA Battlefield

Post by JOo »

one of the things that i like in the original RedAlert Missions is the "Allies versus Soviet" war , and first thing you always did , is picking a side you want to fight for ... and then you fight on a europe-map against the other side ... you could pick a mission on this map ... and it would turn into your sides color (Blue or Red) depending which side you played

that was just awesome as a kid , it always gave me a feeling of being some sort of a general, the mission-briefings too

so,

i was thinking for like 2 weeks about a league or a tournament-format ... that could give me this feeling back, so i came up with following so far :

Its a Format where you either play on the Allies or the Soviets side ... that means technically its sort of like similar to Ripley`s "Big Team Tournament" ...

Choosing one of the teams means , you can only play allies faction "or" soviet faction , so you cant be on the Allies team ... and play as a soviet faction.

Maps , we need a shitton of new maps ... for every country in europe ... 1 map (also a map that represents russia of course) according to

http://www.worldometers.info/geography/ ... in-europe/

we would need 44 new maps

every map should have several "map spawns" depending on their position in europe , that means for every neighbour-country +1 mapspawn in relative direction to the neighbour ...

so for example , if we take the map of "Austria" (which has 7 neighbours) ... "Swiss" would get a Map-spawn on the left side (west) on the map ... "Germany" northwest ...and so on ...

so on the Austria map we would have 7 spawnpoints + 1 additional "Defending Spawnpoint" that represents Austria itself ... the map itself should have a somehwat equal geographie like the real country ... cliffs , forests , maybe a river ... (but no sea)

so ... lets say Team "Allies" owns Germany ... and Team Soviet owns Austria ... then "1" Allies player could try and attack Austria ... by playing the "Austria Map" on the "Germany-Map-Spawn ... and 1 Soviet-player can defend Austria by playing on the Austria Spawn (which will be in the middle most likely)

if , lets say Allies have "Germany and Swiss" ... and Soviets have "Austria and Hungary" .then it is possible to play a 2v2 on this map ..

There is an Exception that allows to add in "Sea" on a map ... meaning big Water-Areas where you can fight with ships and subs ... those exceptions are only allowed on map-countries with real sea-access ... and a sea-access gives only 1 spawnpoint ... which means, the "United Kingdom for example ... can only get played as 1v1

i will update this idea further

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

You could probably reduce the amount of countries given that under the cold war USSR, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia encompassed some of the modern countries listed, plus scrap some of the small countries listed below Iceland in terms of population (starting with Andorra). And then there's Switzerland :)

Aaron_Lloyd

Post by Aaron_Lloyd »

I had an idea for a domination-style tournament like this once. Even came up with a draft world plan with the corresponding maps for each location. Didn't have the time or energy to go forward with it.

https://s12.postimg.org/tuxkl41ff/World ... on_Map.jpg

Would love to see a tournament of this style though. Think it'd be really cool.
I'd just worry about making the rules too complicated and maybe scaring people away, might want to simplify things a tad.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Nice map Aaron!

Although, there are only 1v1 and some 2v2 maps. What about maps with more players?

Aaron_Lloyd

Post by Aaron_Lloyd »

I wanted it to be easy enough for small groups to be able to get together and play a round. I had originally planned to only use 1v1 maps but couldn't find enough of them.

It's hard enough sometimes to organize a time for a RAGL 1v1 I figured organizing a group of 6 or even 8 would be nearly impossible. So I capped it at 4 player, 2v2 maps.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Well, you could also play 1v1 on a 2v2 map. And 2v2 on a 4v4 map and so on. So I guess we could also allow maps with more players.
Not always having 8 players around is a good point though.

Aaron_Lloyd

Post by Aaron_Lloyd »

I'd be totally interested in updating the world plan with some new maps (there have been some good map releases since I made the plan originally) and moving forward with it as a tournament at some point. Would probably want to find someone to help me organize it though.

Also obviously wouldn't want to step on J0o's feet.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Indeed very nice map, Aaron!

I too like it when the battles take place in the real world and back in the days loved it when the world slowly colored into my color :)

One question though: how are the two teams balanced?
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

JOo

Post by JOo »

@NoobMapMaker : probably not balanced at all ... everyone who wants to play "allies" plays as allies .... and everyone who play as "soviet" plays soviet ...

the thing is , not everyone can attack "any" country ... only "from" the country that they just conquered ... and it should be possible to have only one game at a time ...

there should be a "commander" on each side that decide where to attack next ... and once payers did an attack ... they should have a break so that other fraction-members can play

the really fun part of all of this ... are the maps ...

its possible that for example a 1v1 gets played on a 7 playermap .... thats why i wanted to have "new maps" ... and a map-spawn representing the border that makes it possible to attack a country ...

we could add rules that forbids to use a (good) player again until all other team-members had a game .. sort of like a player-lock

so the commandersr have to decide on which maps (countries) he plays specific players ... in what combination ... like 1v1 , 2v2 , 3v3 ... and he has to use the whole playerpool

just as example ...

since i already have spain , england and france ... i did put Zaqzorn to defend england , ozzyouzo on france and NoobMapMaker on spain ... so if the enemy decides to attack those countries ... they have to face those specfic players ...

now , fiveaces didnt have a game yet ... and i decide to attack "swiss" ... which is defended by the "soviet player" Murto the Ray ... makes sense to let fiveaces play this match ... since they are both strong players ....

that is all theory yet ... i didnt work out everything
Last edited by JOo on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOo

Post by JOo »

started to make a more detailed europe-map .. WIP

current map with their possible layout :

° = Spawn (3° = 3 Spawns)
W = Wateraccess
¹ ² ³ = ¹Atlantic access, ²Baltic Sea access, ³Black Sea access

Every country has a "home spawn" and for every neighbour-country 1 additional spawn .. water-access adds another spawn

having acces to lets say baltic and atlantic ... doesnt mean that it will add +2 spawns for water ... water always counts for +1spawn

Snowmaps
---------------------------------------------
Iceland - 2°W¹
Norway - 5°W¹
Sweden - 5°W¹²
Finland - 5°W²
Russia - 9°W¹²³
Estonia - 4°W²
Latvia - 6°W²
Lithuania - 5°W²
Belarus - 6°

Desertmaps
North Africa [Morocco,Algeria,Tunisia] - 3°W¹
Portugal - 4°W¹
Spain - 4°W²
Greece - 6°W¹
Turkey - 4°W³¹
Albania - 6°W¹
Montenegro - 5°W¹
Macedonia - 5°

Temperatmaps
United Kingdom - 3°W¹
Ireland - 3°W¹
Netherlands - 4°W¹
Belgium - 5°W¹
France - 6°W¹
Germany - 9°W¹²
Poland - 8°W²
Ukraine - 9°W³
Czech Republic - 5°
Slovakia - 6°
Hungary - 8°
Austria - 7°
Slovenia - 6°
Switzerland *Neutral
Italy - 4°W¹
Croatia - 6°W¹
Bosnia Herzegovina - 4°
Serbia - 9°
Bulgaria - 7°W³
Romania - 7°W³
Moldova - 3°
Georgia - 4°W³
Last edited by JOo on Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

A little unrelated but I think it would be neat to have a Ryder Cup style tournament. An odd number of players from each team are paired off in best-of 3 or 5 series with nothing but national pride on the line.
Probably not enough of us yanks to pull off a U.S. vs Euros; maybe Anglos vs the world?

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

If you wanted to get extremely creative with some maps you could add structures pre-determined on maps due to points achieved or strongholds aquired. I think this idea fits more with TD due to the MCV layout but a few examples:

Defending player is allies. Has Gap generators, an MCV and some barracks. Defending allies player #2 has radar dome with war factory. Both these players can build and tech up.

Attacking players are Soviets. Soviet player #1 gets an MCV that drives from off map and gets attack planes as starting units to raid on the allies base. Soviet player #2 does a stealth base (AKA builds on an island with sub pen).

These ideas of course are extremely advanced but gives the feel of conquering and holding land a meaning. Replays can then be viewed on what was built and placed on such maps.

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

Smitty wrote: ...
There's about 10 or so (I think 9 in the RAGL) decent enough americans for a Ryder cup type thing.

AoAGeneral1 wrote: ...
That sounds like a competitive campaign, which if could be pulled off, would be super cool.

anjew

Post by anjew »

Smitty wrote: A little unrelated but I think it would be neat to have a Ryder Cup style tournament. An odd number of players from each team are paired off in best-of 3 or 5 series with nothing but national pride on the line.
Probably not enough of us yanks to pull off a U.S. vs Euros; maybe Anglos vs the world?
Should do Australia vs The World. Might be too easy for Australia though

Medium Tank

Post by Medium Tank »

I think this is a super awesome idea. I think Joo's idea with jus EU should be a start right now. As for the RAGL problem we have with time. Get to two commanders to try and settle a time out. This can be before or after you consult with your faction. Then whatever generals are able to make it to the conflict can fight. This way you are never needing a minimum of 5v5. If one team brings 2 generals and the other 5. Then a 2v2 would be in order for the territory. Then if both of the entire tem shows up it's a battle for the ages. I believe this encourages players to show up so you can have as many good players as possible to play. This is just a way I see to maybe avoid never playing games dilema in RAGL.

Long story short, I hink this idea is awesome. The better part is I dont think their even needs to be a time limit. This could go on for a year and you can continually drag more players in/out when they want t register/drop out. I hope we can make a more finalized version and start to get signups because I am 100000000% down to do this.