Isn't GPS insane?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Fortnight

Post by Fortnight »

AMHOL wrote: Also, negative zoom is only available in spectator view, so that's not true either.
I meant the pixel doubling on/off, it's a kind of zoom. I'm pretty sure you don't have to spectate to do that and it usually fits a big chunk of the map on screen if not the whole thing. Mammoth Tanks are rarely built so I agree that they need a buff to become more worthwhile.
zinc wrote: GPS is part of the original game, and I think the open ra interpretation of it is fine.
I remember that in the original game it just removed the shroud completely! Good thing OpenRA made it different, I remember thinking it was a clever solution the first time I saw it.

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

Szunti wrote: So easily denied. In other words you threw everything at it and even failed. Considering how strong base defences are, you probably wasted more than $1500
I did a hell of alot of damage in the process it wasn't an focus fire everything I had towards it. It was an attack that destroyed the majority of the armies on the board . If I launched my attack a second earlier I would have gotten it. denied his launch and he would have had to re build his techcenter. And my GPS would have been active with no means of a counter for a significant period of time. When I say they are easily denied I am talking about HP. You can defend a cupcake like crazy if u wish to do so.

I also did say "can be"
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

JOo

Post by JOo »

GPS strong ...

right

well good thing you guys dont play the "original" RedAlert ... cause they didnt even have Fog of War back then ... which means ... one round of scouting with a jeep or a plane and you see everything for the entire game ... not just dots and symbols, i mean "everything"

maybe we should introduce one allies faction without gps ... but some other advantage ... just to show off that people who know how to play allies "dont give a shit" about gps

im sure most of the league-players dont care for gps specific

klaas

Post by klaas »

JOo wrote: im sure most of the league-players dont care for gps specific
Well, most league players won't care because 95% of the games never reach tier 3 tech, leave alone getting GPS up. This is a separate problem, but I do think GPS is very good. It is just that getting tech is worse than spamming infantry and MCVs.

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

This is probably due to the fact that fancy tier 3 tech is not a necessity to win games and quite rightfully so. Tier 3 tech should be used to supplement an existing army not become it. Considering red alert is set in 1946 armies compositions made up of infantry and tanks is quite fitting. Teching up should always be a gamble
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

AMHOL

Post by AMHOL »

JOo wrote: GPS strong ...

right

well good thing you guys dont play the "original" RedAlert ... cause they didnt even have Fog of War back then ... which means ... one round of scouting with a jeep or a plane and you see everything for the entire game ... not just dots and symbols, i mean "everything"

maybe we should introduce one allies faction without gps ... but some other advantage ... just to show off that people who know how to play allies "dont give a shit" about gps

Quite an assumption to make, I'm sure most of us did play the original game, you could also expand anywhere you liked with silos, each additional production structure doubled the relevant unit/structure production time and the expansion packs had missions where v2 rockets triggered a nuke explosion, what's your point?

Yes, a good Allied player can end a game vs a good Soviet player way before GPS triggers, that's just another problem in the Allied box of tricks, but doesn't mean to say that GPS isn't EXTREMELY strong, especially on larger maps, where it's almost impossible for a Soviet player to win on a big map against Allied players of a similar skill level.

JOo

Post by JOo »

AMHOL wrote:
JOo wrote: GPS strong ...

right

Quite an assumption to make, I'm sure most of us did play the original game, you could also expand anywhere you liked with silos, each additional production structure doubled the relevant unit/structure production time and the expansion packs had missions where v2 rockets triggered a nuke explosion, what's your point?

Yes, a good Allied player can end a game vs a good Soviet player way before GPS triggers, that's just another problem in the Allied box of tricks, but doesn't mean to say that GPS isn't EXTREMELY strong, especially on larger maps, where it's almost impossible for a Soviet player to win on a big map against Allied players of a similar skill level.
point is that you could see everything right from the start (unless you really just turtle and dont even bother to scout when there isnt even a fow) in the old classics ... it would still take 10+ minutes when im going straight for gps in openra ... and by that i mean skipping the barracks ... and i find it ridiculous how easy every new newbie can trigger everyone to change something on the balance

its even visible to every player when im going straight for tech (and therefor gps) ... because of the timer that pops up ... so that makes allies quite predictable

JOo

Post by JOo »

now that im thinking about it ... we could actually limit gps on the radar-jammers radius (the big one that is there to shut down enemy radars)

basicly letting the radar-jammer's GPS act like a spy-plane-radius ... with the difference that the jammer has to get destroyed and he still only makes symbols of units and buildings visible

should then of course remove the gps-timer being visible for the enemy and maybe reduce the timer itself

zinc

Post by zinc »

Good idea as it needs a boost.

I think I have also suggested it being used to cancel out the gap generators and pierce through them.

But your own idea probably makes more sense. And now you do need a working radar for the GPS to work, so I guess a radar jammer makes sense in blocking it. Perhaps.