Just a little observation

Player conduct

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

Am not asking for a police state. I totally get wer your coming from. We just all need to be abit more considerate that's all. its upto us as players because it's us that will suffer in the long run.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

JuiceBox: My reply was aimed squarely at Anjew. I completely agree with you.

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

Oh ahaha :zip:

anjew

Post by anjew »

Sleipnir wrote: Do you consider it a human right to be able to post about penis enlargement pills? You and most others seem to be quite happy to suppress the free speech of those poor helpless spammers.
I do actually, its still freedom of speech. However since it is probably a robot, the link is probably a scam, they don't possibly contribute anything to the community and this forum is the OpenRA General Discussion, deleting the posts make sense. The real question is, if a player such a SoScared posted about some really good penis enlargement pills and were to get them, would you ban it? I hope so, it's not really OpenRA discussion.
Sleipnir wrote: Communities have rules to prevent "speech" that interferes in the well-being of the community
Yet this community does not. The only specfic 'rule' relating to speech is the "Don't be an arrogant bastard," rule that applies only to forum interactions and not in-game interactions. Also the "rules" were written over 10 years ago for a community that doesn't exist anymore. The rules are never enforced and you seem to lack any will to involve yourself in the administration of the community (sans deleting spammers). In fact, this is longest text i have seen you post regarding administration.
Sleipnir wrote: you've got to be kidding me (seriously, wtf mate) if you consider that to be in any way comparable to arbitrary detention
The arbitrary detention was just bait however it does have some metaphorical similarities. Also you literally state what you are doing to infringe on the right to Freedom of Speech, suppressing. Banning someone for their beliefs or values is not cool, even if this offends someone with the words.
Sleipnir wrote: Do you really consider your right to be an asshole is more important than having a healthy multiplayer community? That's incredibly selfish.
When did I say it's a right to being an arsehole?
When did I say it was about MY right to being an arsehole?
I'm standing up for everyone's right, including yours.

Also every multiplayer community has toxicity, in fact, the most successful and healthy multiplayer games have the most toxic communities.
Placing rules to ban players for expressing their opinion because you don't want your feelings hurt is the definition of selfish.

ps. There a nice saying in Australia for people who can't handle a little banter.
"Sticks and stones may break my bones but getting offended over words is fucking stupid"

pps. how can you agree with JuiceBox when he agrees with people having their freedom of speech?
Typical leave voter

Matt

Post by Matt »

Calm down and get back to the topic. Most modern games have player accounts and some kind of quick evaluation of opponents next to scores so anti-social players can be grouped with like minded individuals and casual players aren't disturbed. We could think of some kind of mechanism that scales well with this tiny community and start implementing the requirements step by step.

zinc

Post by zinc »

JOo wrote: and you think "all" people would pick their skill-tag without trying to troll ?
Something may perhaps be generally useful--useful in many games--even if someone occasionally trolls. And people can already occasionally troll of course. (e.g. kill team mates.)

zinc

Post by zinc »

There is no real "free speech" threat from having rules of conduct by the way. The Open RA game isn't even intended as a space for any sort of serious speech. You could place down any sort of rules you want and it would make zero difference to real-world free speech.

Same with a small forum like this. You could have any rules and any censorship you like; and it's not legally or practically a threat to free speech.

zinc

Post by zinc »

I remember one player (I will not name), and I quit against him saying I had no chance at that stage of the game because of a newbie team mate. I was told something like, "you need to nurture newbies".

A few days later, and I noticed the same player quit in a rage because of his newbie team mate. He was saying things like, "never play again", "kill yourself" if I remember correctly.

So yeah, it's possible it could put off certain new players.

zinc

Post by zinc »

Maybe there should be a dedicated server for newbies to play against each other to learn the game? Although probably not enough of them around...

james.bong

Post by james.bong »

Hi there

Being a new player for about a month and a bit and being on the receving end of this yet again tonight, well yeh I think I am pretty much done. I purely registered to say some words as maybe it will do the community a favour.

As I said I have been on the receiving end more than once now and have also witnessed multiple times other new players receieve the same sort of 'helpful' words which goes right to the heart of the JuiceBox's opening post of 'community growth' and 'creating a friendly fun environment'.

I am old enough to rub it off - sticks and stones and all, but I don't have to listen to it. Maybe I am just from a generation where the word etiquette meant something.

Fun playing with most of you.

james.bong

JOo

Post by JOo »

@JamesBong : when i started to play , i also have been called "things" for a couple of months

you could just change your name ... but i would suggest to watch your own replays (Mainmenu -> Extras -> Replays -> ) to see what you are doing wrong ...

people might sound rude and mean ... but imo it cant hurt to reflect/revisit about a game , as there might be the one or other hint on what you could have done better , just saying

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

Having played in a few lobby's with you James it's sad to see you go mate. All the best and I hope you change your mind. If you ever do fancy a few matches your more than welcome to message me and we can arrange a few battles.

After having made this original post iv spoken to many ppl in lobby's who feel the same way. The community has alot of well mannered respectable people who I enjoy playing with. On the other hand I have a little list of assholes who I will just leave the lobby if I see. I shouldn't have to leave a lobby but it's my choice to leave. I would rather leave and play with better calibre of people that's just how I role.

This is just one player who has announced his departure I wonder how many people have quit without a second thought. No one who joins should have to instantly get upto speed with the game Or suffer abuse . Everyone should be left alone to play at their own pace and if the better players can't handle the newbies of the community I think it more prudent for them to arrange more competitive matches with their peers rather than assuming everyone in the game should be playing at a high standard.

Peace

klaas

Post by klaas »

I sort of do the same as JuiceBox, I stay away from most team games, as they often have a bad atmosphere. Also, I have bad experience with maps like "gods great devide" and doubles (to a lesser extent), maybe because choke points frustrate people and brings out the worst complaining about team members. Interestingly in TD the atmosphere tents to be much better, maybe because the community is smaller?

Anyway, if everyone who reads the forum will tell people to stop harassing new players, maybe we can make a difference. I also like Zincs idea to make Newbie-specific servers, explicitly stating you can only play as inexperienced player or as experienced player to teach / have fun.

anjew

Post by anjew »

klaas wrote: Interestingly in TD the atmosphere tents to be much better, maybe because the community is smaller?
Im not sure how it goes in RA but the TD players usually all end up in one server and talk for like half an hour between each match so some of us know a bit about each other.

It's a shame to see you leave because of what an isolated few said. Just realise that by leaving those members have succeeded in keeping their closed circle of players. I see it that some criticism is constructive and some destructive but they both usually mean the same thing, time to practice and show those bastards how easy it is.

I'm all for newbie servers, I often try to dispense advice in TD and have attempted to teach a few but I guess you would need to petition the server hosters about the newbie server rather than devs

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

klaas wrote: if everyone who reads the forum will tell people to stop harassing new players, maybe we can make a difference.
I was thinking the same myself.... A game I played the other day had a certain player who was rude to people in lobby chat and was threatening an IP ban telling the host to kick people etc. Whilst in game he was obnoxious and insulting his opposing opponent mocking every action he made. This player was on my team and he was getting on my nerves. I felt like telling him to give it a rest but I was worried that as a new member to the community and him being a well established player that I would be doing myself no favours i don't play open Ra to make enemies. Thinking back I wish I did say somthing.

Maybe this is the way forward? Calling people out on the bullshit?