Help Newbies

Make OpenRA more noob friendly by enabling "Explored Map"

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

"Explored Map" enabled by default?

Yes, please.
65%
Nope!
30%
I don't care, leave me alone.
5%

Total votes: 37

anjew

Post by anjew »

christian wrote: I think it's actually more important to have shroud off when playing competitively.
I dont really care what happens to the defaults but shroud is very suited to competitive play. It promotes knowledge and skill as well as weeding out the people who don't know how to play a map and if you can't practice a map to the point of knowing where your ore or oil is then you probably aren't a competitive player. Shroud has never stopped me from making a move or hindered my engineer from getting oil unless I really didn't know the map

Christian

Post by Christian »

Yes as I said usually it's not a big deal. If spawns are random and shroud is on it can be different. I think the main problem is usually if you want to move your mcv early on. On a lot of symmetrical maps starting positions will look identical so you won't know where you are with random spawns.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

There are a few ways to figure out your spawn location.

The first trick is you can do is load the map up in skirmish mode and turn debug on. Start the game without AI and use reveal all map. This way you can get a general idea of how the map works. (If you are a competitive player)

The second trick is when you spawn randomly scroll your screen to the corner at one side. If the screen stops scrolling your on that side.

However, this is more prone to TD as the natural starts give you units to work/scout with.

Kayan

Post by Kayan »

The best solution of course would be autosaving the last state ;)