Red Alert Balance Discussion [Release-20160508]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

What do you think of the current Red Alert balance?

Perfect!
6%
Almost perfect!
41%
Still a bit to be done!
44%
A lot still to be done!
3%
Really Imbalanced!
6%

Total votes: 32

zinc

Post by zinc »

Frakes wrote:
Yep, agreed! As I have played RA for some time now, I still don't get what happened to soviet air superiority... Starting with questions like "wth happened to the range of allied AA tower" or "wtf do Soviets no longer have choppers" I slowly got the idea why they changed which. But it's not well balanced in my opinion.
Due to the problem of sight, choppers have huge advantages regarding scouting. They just stand at the same spot and see whats in front of them. While yaks and migs always have to fly by their target and need to return again. That in combination of mega-ranged-AA guns makes it unfair imho.
Soviet air has been much improved the last few releases. Yaks are now better for base destruction than helis (e.g. taking out a nuke) and flak trucks are actually a threat to helis. It wasn't like that when I started playing. But yes, they aren't as good for vision on the battlefield but soviets do have the spy plane. I think the range of soviet SAM sites could be extended maybe.

Frakes

Post by Frakes »

zinc wrote:
Soviet air has been much improved the last few releases.
That I can't comment since I have only played the last release.
zinc wrote: I think the range of soviet SAM sites could be extended maybe..
Yes, that needs to be done if nothing else is to be altered.

Still, the vision range of planes should be extended. AA towers often shoot them down before you even see the AA. Also it would be more realistic.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Hello all.

I am back from a week of absence. It is clear that the number of topics here is too broad to be discussed concurrently. Instead i will be setting a topic and we will discuss that until:
  • A change is broadly agreed upon.
  • A change cannot be agreed on
The first topic is the Chrono tank.

At the moment it does not see too much usage due to it's poor stats.

Discuss!
Last edited by Murto the Ray on Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r34ch

Post by r34ch »

Murto the Ray wrote: The first topic is the Longbow/Mig buff.Discuss!
Note that a pull request has been accepted to adjust some of the existing issues so keep that in mind

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/11337

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Editted - new topic is Chrono tanks

r34ch

Post by r34ch »

Murto the Ray wrote: Editted - new topic is Chrono tanks
Personally I would like their jump range doubled and damage against buildings increased. To balance that their cooldown would need reduced and HP. From some testing it seems a viable method of taking out tech and power late game while still requiring some skill to use and allowing defenses and air units to counter.