Lets do something about artillery

Damn it

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

Should arty be changed?

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 38

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

I think a nerf from 14 to 12 will be noticeable on stand-off/choke maps and for passive players, thus will ease the objections against the artillery from a big chunk of the player base. With active players and on expansive, open maps I think the nerf is negligible.

The complaint against the artillery range has been going on for years so I'm hoping to see an eventual nerf will be restricted exclusively to the range and nothing else (spread, accuracy etc.) as imo there never has been an issue with it's behavior.

Thanks for providing the custom maps Frame!

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

hamb filed a PR with the changes which got already merged: OpenRA/OpenRA#11249.
So we'll see how this plays out in the next playtest.

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

A range nerf is fine, but increasing scatter or decreasing RoF / damage would severely cripple the Allies' options versus infantry
(they are already really reliant on basecrawling for antiair cover, and that would make them struggle versus infantry as well without a pillbox in range).

What makes them annoying to deal with imo is their low price tag; personally, I don't have a problem with them balance-or statwise.

Henry_the_Slav

Post by Henry_the_Slav »

The price tag is realistic though. This is why artillery was popular in both world wars before more mobile warfare became possible. They are far, the are safe, they are cheap to make (just a huge cannon/cannon on truck, compare that to whole tank) and they are (ingame) still very vulnerable to many types of enemies.

anjew

Post by anjew »

Being realistic isn't the best way to balance a game.
Realistic artillery would be more suited as a power like the nuke or a defence structure not a mobile unit that whizzes around the map, since that isn't realistic.

The benefit of raising the price as well is it takes longer to build, which I think is also a nice thing since the cost effectiveness of the artillery can be substantial

anjew

Post by anjew »

I still think a tiny nerf is needed. Just those 2 cells less will be ever so helpful. That's 2 less cells within their own base

weeman

Post by weeman »

Lol nerfing arty is not the answer. Allies are already screwed once you get to mid- late game dynamics. When a Soviet player can get IC the arty is very vulnerable. If anything I would say decrease the range by 2 cells but increase the armor of artillery so that the flak truck + IC combo is not as effective. Or decrease the amount of IC time by 2 seconds.