RA Current Balance Discussion

Give your thoughts and feedback!

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

How balanced do you think RA isat the moment?

Everything is very balanced!
45%
Soviets are underpowered!
32%
Allies are underpowered!
23%

Total votes: 31

anjew

Post by anjew »

Your idea of "help" is incredibly abrasive. It's actually defined in the knowledge base as being an "arrogant bastard," this is just another example. I appreciate the constructive part of your comments, not the part where you start belittling members of the community.

That link does however remind how even tanks in RA2 were slowed down by crushing. But I guess they are alot faster than in RA

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

anjew wrote: That link does however remind how even tanks in RA2 were slowed down by crushing.
That was a bug caused by the combination of acceleration and the crush order. Crushing via a move order behind the target unit never slowed down.

I wrote that logic to allow vehicles to crush husks for ZH GLA salvage upgrades tbh.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

zinc

Post by zinc »

anjew wrote: it would be used a lot more if you had to make your sub pen next to the coast since you can just put it a tile away and avoid having the spy enter
Ok how about having an alternative to the enemy sub pen? Actually I think you already do-- in team games at least you can send a spy into a friendly sub pen?

But other than that, you could maybe get it by entering the enemy radar.

zinc

Post by zinc »

IronScion wrote: This is in the current release, not the playtest.

I think sonar pulse feature might get used more if it made the subs visible and attackable. You could gather your units on the beach, activate the sonar pulse, and immediately rain steel down on the submerged subs.
Good idea perhaps.

anjew

Post by anjew »

zinc wrote: Ok how about having an alternative to the enemy sub pen? Actually I think you already do-- in team games at least you can send a spy into a friendly sub pen?
I cant remember if that was fixed or not, id think the devs consider that a bug. The really problem is the 1 cell away from coast issue and also the fact that navy has a tendency to spawn behind the sub pen and get stuck if you dont leave the pen 1 cell away

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

The bugfix for sending spies into allied buildings has been included in the October 31th playtest (and thereby the Christmas release) already.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

zinc

Post by zinc »

How about allies could get it as an automatic countdown when they build a naval yard? And sending a spy will just give it to you instantly and so avoid the countdown.

r34ch

Post by r34ch »

Proposal to buff / fix Mig and Longbow AG weapons

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/11337

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

r34ch wrote: Proposal to buff / fix Mig and Longbow AG weapons

There's another option that's been brought up recently. Instead of buffing the properties to make them late-game monster units, rather lower the cost to make them more accessible.

I wanted to test out cheaper Longbow/MiGs, costing 1800 down from 2000.

Btw does lowering cost still reduce production time?

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

SoScared wrote: Btw does lowering cost still reduce production time?
Yes, the radar dome costs 1800 and is produced in 44 seconds, at the moment Migs/Longbows are produced in 48 seconds

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

All right! So this is now my favorite option then :) Baby steps!

scorp

Post by scorp »

SoScared wrote:
Btw does lowering cost still reduce production time?
you can use custom build times to control these two factors individually, though.

r34ch

Post by r34ch »

SoScared wrote:
r34ch wrote: Proposal to buff / fix Mig and Longbow AG weapons

Instead of buffing the properties to make them late-game monster units
Would you mind explaining your rationale SoScared, as to why you prefer cheaper unchanged late game air units? I have brought up what I perceive to be 3 issues with these units - which can be reliably tested - and offer some solutions to address them.

I fail to understand how making these units slightly cheaper would address any of these issues I have highlighted.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

r34ch wrote: I fail to understand how making these units slightly cheaper would address any of these issues I have highlighted.
The issues and proposals you've made are valid and certainly a step in the right direction.

The reason why we haven't seen much of the MiG's and Longbows I believe is because of the cost-inefficiency. Massing up Yaks and Hinds throughout a match takes precedence and spending time, APM and money on MiGs and Longbows is a problem if you need to invest into expansions, tech and ground armies as well. It's just way more convenient swarming the map with Hinds/Yaks which also you feel you can afford loosing some now and then.

If we'd skip making the Longbow/MiG stronger vs buildings I'd love to see a slight price and production time reduction (e.g. 1800, down from 2000) together with the other changes you proposed. Longbows and MiGs do massive damage to defensive structures. I'd like the Yaks and Hinds to still be the damage dealers vs buildings considering they're slower and give the opponent a fair chance to react.

newwe

Post by newwe »

r34ch's solution seems alright but doesn't go far enough, even adding SoScared's $200 price decrease isn't all that extreme, I still envision myself making mostly hinds even after all those changes.

The 4 shot volley might have some negative consequences as well - ie you accidentally target infantry and you've wasted a ton of ammo.

I wouldn't mind seeing an ammo increase in addition to the above.