kyrylo's maps

The very best maps

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

Just made a new map called Alpine Waters (see the original post)

Again, navy-themed. My first non symmetrical map. Still obsessed with the idea to have a good 1v1 map where it's viable to build ships.

http://resource.openra.net/maps/17286/

kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

New map! A solid 1v1 map inspired by Behind the Veil. In v1 of Almost Arid, I literally copied top and bottom areas of BtV and swapped them. The map has already been through many refinements and I've already seen a few games on it. I am really happy about the map and it's probably my best map so far.

Almost Arid (1v1, 96x95) needs playtesting

kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

Just wanted to share some history (I know we have many new players). This is how "Behind the Veil" looked like when I first created it in 2015:

Full map preview

Thumbnail:

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

kyrylo wrote: 2015
Wow, time sure does fly.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

I can't see the difference with the one we are playing right now, maybe some wrong tiles corrected ? :p

hotze

Post by hotze »

kyrylo wrote: Just wanted to share some history (I know we have many new players). This is how "Behind the Veil" looked like when I first created it in 2015:

Full map preview

Thumbnail:
That's a screenshot of Iron Curtain.

kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

hotze wrote: That's a screenshot of Iron Curtain.
That's how the map was called back then. Then it was transformed into BtV. Behind the Veil is 100% based on the screenshot above :)

TonyBlair

Post by TonyBlair »

My name is Tony Blair. I am a cartographer. I will make good maps for y'all.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Just played a game on the map and really liked it. Plenty of opportunities for all kinds of play, difficult oilderricks.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Downloading these now and gonna have a play.

BtV is one of my favs, so keep up the good work ;)

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Played Alpine Waters, fun map. Can't say on balance as of yet, but there's an issue with the top right island. I repaired the right bridge but couldn't get an MCV to it. It gets a small way across the bridge and doesn't go any further. Can't comment on other bridge though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:57 pm Post subject: kyrylo's maps Reply with quote
I think I can be considered a mapper now Pimp

In this thread I'll be sharing my maps to advertise them better. I primarily create competitive maps (1v1 or 2v2) for the Red Alert mod. In doing so, I try to make them as balanced as possible (which means they're not always pretty). Here I'll be posting only the maps that I consider to be good.

I'll be marking finished maps with green and maps that are still in development with blue. So please play (share replays) and leave your feedback. It will help me to finish them.

Chitzkoi Playground is a dead link btw

TonyBlair

me famous?

Post by TonyBlair »

Hi. I heard that I am famous online for my engineer capture moves. Where can I see the video(s) of this? YouTube? Where? Link, please?

kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

I have a new and last batch of maps (updated the original post with screenshots and links):

Bridgetown (1v1, 80x60) needs playtesting
Further experiments with 1v1 navy. The island in the middle has gems (connectable by 2 bridges). The idea is that players should fight for it.

Megaton Dawn (1v1, 70x70) needs playtesting
The name is inspired by Megaton from Fallout 3. The map has custom rules: there's a nuke truck in the middle. It has 10000HP. When you kill it, the whole town is destroyed and you can start mining gems from 2 mines. The rest was not touched.

Abandoned Archipelago (2v2, 96x96) needs playtesting
A simple 2v2 map for brainless games. Inspired by Sidestep, but turned out to be a Tournament Island kind of map with 4 islands. Each of those islands has gems.

Battle on the Ice (2v2, 96x96) needs playtesting
An experiment where the island players (in the middle) need to fight for the island and limited ore and escape it as soon as possible via a transport to gain control over the top of the map. The bottom players are there to support them.

Behind the Veil v3.2 (1v1, 96x95) needs playtesting
Next iteration of BtV which makes the map far more open. The map also solves the problem of walling off the main base in the beginning. I never wanted it to work like that and it always bothered me that a lot of players just wall off that entrance. Now, you can also block it off with a wall, but you need to spend some efforts to mine blocking ore first. I consider it an OK move because now you need to do something to build defence. Previously, you could defend that entrance for free, without any investments ($50 for wall is a joke).

P.S. I've spent a lot of time making these maps (and even deleted some that are not here), but the fact that nobody plays them is discouraging for me. I had high hopes for Almost Arid, but it didn't get enough votes to be included in RAGL. I wasn't able to gather any criticism of it, so apparently the map is just not up to standards, which was my miscalculation.

Unfortunately, I'm quitting mapmaking. The time I spend on making a map is probably more or equal to the time people play the map in total and it's obvious to me that I can invest my time into something else. With SoScared pulling out of streaming I lost my channel for any kind of promotion of maps that I make, so they don't get any exposure anymore.

In any case, I would like to thank everyone who played my maps and everyone who helped me testing them by joining my server & playing games, and providing feedback! Bye-bye!

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Hmn the seas are rough at this time, but we do have a couple new (regular) casters that I'm sure are willing to test your maps. It'll require a bit of asking around before or during the stream though. Well, thanks for the maps you've made and check in every now and then when you feel like it.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

JOo

Post by JOo »

i had 1-2 games at 'Battle on the Ice' and it was pretty good