What is the proper strategy to counter early rifleman rushes

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
AnEggplant

What is the proper strategy to counter early rifleman rushes

Post by AnEggplant »

I'm pretty new to this game, especially the multiplayer aspect of it and so far I'm really enjoying it. However, I was playing with a friend who built about 50 riflemen and 10 rocket soldiers and rushed my base, taking out my pill boxes and defenses and quickly overwhelming me. I was wondering what a good strategy would be to counter this in either Red Alert or Tiberian Dawn as any faction? Thanks for the help!

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Sometimes placing new defences a bit to the back is good because they've got more time to shoot before being destroyed. If you place them at the front in between the 50 rifle and 10 rocket soldiers then it gets destroyed in notime. Also have some infantry yourself as cannonfodder.
Micromanagementtip: aim your defences at rocketsoldiers first. They destroy buildings and defences fast, rifles very slow.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

AnEggplant

Post by AnEggplant »

noobmapmaker wrote: Sometimes placing new defences a bit to the back is good because they've got more time to shoot before being destroyed. If you place them at the front in between the 50 rifle and 10 rocket soldiers then it gets destroyed in notime. Also have some infantry yourself as cannonfodder.
Micromanagementtip: aim your defences at rocketsoldiers first. They destroy buildings and defences fast, rifles very slow.
That's a good idea, thanks! I had riflemen but I didn't micro them very well, I still need to learn how to do that. I'll try putting my defenses further back.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

What time did he rush you at? that gives us a good indicator as to what you could build to counter it.

AnEggplant

Post by AnEggplant »

Murto the Ray wrote: What time did he rush you at? that gives us a good indicator as to what you could build to counter it.
About 3 or 4 minutes in. His build was powerplant > Refinery > barracks > refinery > infantry

newwe

Post by newwe »

What was starting cash? If it's more than the $5k then you should probably make more rifleman/pills than in a standard game to protect against potential rushes.

NMM gave some good tips, you definitely want to spam only rifleman from your barracks vs an all infantry rush (maybe some flame soldiers too if your opponent is bad at micro, but don't go for rocket soldiers/grenadiers).

One other thing would be to have some rifleman scouts away from your base to try to get wind of a rush so you have more time to prepare.

Spamming an extra barracks or two during the attack can be good as well if you have a lot of $$. If you are short on cash selling an extra refinery might be necessary, and cancel anything non-essential in your queue.

AnEggplant

Post by AnEggplant »

newwe wrote: What was starting cash? If it's more than the $5k then you should probably make more rifleman/pills than in a standard game to protect against potential rushes.

NMM gave some good tips, you definitely want to spam only rifleman from your barracks vs an all infantry rush (maybe some flame soldiers too if your opponent is bad at micro, but don't go for rocket soldiers/grenadiers).

One other thing would be to have some rifleman scouts away from your base to try to get wind of a rush so you have more time to prepare.

Spamming an extra barracks or two during the attack can be good as well if you have a lot of $$. If you are short on cash selling an extra refinery might be necessary, and cancel anything non-essential in your queue.
It was $5000. I definitely want to try that next time, thanks!

epice

Post by epice »

How to counter mid-game infantry fodder+tank spam?

klaas

Post by klaas »

Take away the recourses, and the spam will end pretty soon after.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

epicelite wrote: How to counter mid-game infantry fodder+tank spam?
Need an example replay for this one: most of these strategy's weakness lies in their infrastructure rather than their army

AmericanBlunt_

Post by AmericanBlunt_ »

It's an RTS you're suppose to THINK of ways around that

PersianImmortal

Post by PersianImmortal »

Scout so you know its coming. Then prepare accordingly

AnEggplant

Post by AnEggplant »

PersianImmortal wrote: Scout so you know its coming. Then prepare accordingly
I knew that. :P I was trying to figure out how to prepare.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

If you are getting killed by an army in the mid game it'll likely because you don't have a big enough army yourself (i.e. you are expanding or teching up too much).

zoidyberg

Post by zoidyberg »

Tech'ing up too fast and being invaded 10 minutes into a game can be kind of entertaining. The opposing player rushes your base with 118 units and you have, like 9. :)