Dropping support for downloading assets ?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
JOo

Post by JOo »

how about we write a letter together ... and everyone is emailing this letter to EA ?

Truth

Post by Truth »

advertising on youtube works for minecraft servers XD
just given out ideas...

fun fact: i think i figured out why there was such a jump in players on the 3rd of feb 2014
seen here: http://www.openra.net/players/

my hypothisis is that it jumped when totalbiscuit (popular youtuber) made a video on it
and the date it was uploaded was on the 3rd of feb 2014
seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1-VwE1byrY

although it lowered quickly afterwards the number of players basicly doubled from before to after 8)

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Yeah, TB brought a lot of people to OpenRA. One of those people brought me to OpenRA :P Regular streams and youtube videos are sure to bring in people, even if it is only a handful at a time :)

Bigger youtubers bring in big number but most aren't likely to stay. OpenRA needs to get on a top 10 free/open source RTS games list or something that is widely used.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Don't we have a real marketeer in our midst? Someone who understands the fine details of marketing a product like OpenRA with the goal of reaching more users.

I've had a conversation with SoScared on this topic before. I'm no expert whatsoever, but I think with a little money, the right advertising channels and a proper marketing strategy that fits OpenRA - there could be a whole lot more players. If the plan is good I'm willing to chip in a bit of money.

And aside from money we should perhaps start a small 'upvote army'. Upvote OpenRA in every list or wherever it is mentioned.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Simply telling people about OpenRA isnt quite enough, something needs to keep them in OpenRA. Some basic tutorials for the game and some newbie-only servers would be nice: no idea how you'd go about doing the latter though. Tournaments also help to publicize the game and get people interested in the possibility of competitive play - maybe a newbie-only one could be interesting to attract new players?

Just some ideas, i'd be willing to chip in to help OpenRA become more popular 8)

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

There was some discussion a long time ago about putting together a serious of youtube videos about how to play. e.g. "building a base", "managing your resources", "how to use engineers", etc. Everyone thought these would be great, but nobody took on the task of making them.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Well if we start an ad campaign we should really look into how to attach people to OpenRA, rather than just showing them it exists. That's why I hoped there is someone here who has a profound understanding of marketing and conversion to 'sales' (this product is f*cking free and awesome! Just... heavy competition).

Some levels of attaching a user

1) A person has to learn that OpenRA exists
2) A person has to download the game
3) A person has to try the game
4) The player comes back more often
5) The player tells others about OpenRA/Invites others

An ad campaign helps to create more 1's and hopefully a share becomes a 2 and 3. Sleipnirs and Murto's suggestion to help new players to get to know the game converts people from a 3 to a 4. Which is essential because structural players make the player base grow. What can we do to get 5 happening?

Well, maybe there is an expert in this area who has dealt with a situation like this before and is able to make the plan more professional.

Not sure if this is unfriendly to say, but when I found out about OpenRA I have searched a bit for the forum before I discovered that Sleipnirs Stuff actually is the forum. At some point in OpenRA history I think it would be good for the community if everything about OpenRA is one 1 website (except Github for dev). In my view that would be the forum, instructional videos, tournaments (for noobs and pros), ratings of players, the resource center and whatever else concerns OpenRA.

Truth

Post by Truth »

Doesn't a big audience for these games (C&C classics) already exist?
Just make sure they know we exist :)

As for completely new players to C&C they will be harder to get

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Yes, from what I know: we should describe targetaudiences (C&C fans, RTS-lovers, etc) and how we convert them to giving OpenRA a try and from there how we make them stick to it or even become an ambassador for the game. These steps are simply said, but difficult to properly describe and execute.

So this means that for each targetaudience you come up with a strategy, a channel and a message. For example if males who play games, aged 25-40 are our main group. Then we'll have to find out how we target them best and with what channel and with what message.
Probably gamerboys age 10+ are our target as well (that sounds really creepy). We should send them a different message as we cant convey the retrofeeling. They've never experienced that. Perhaps they are more receptive to FREE and 'awesum minisoldier warfare'.

There is alot of info available on the internet. I've once read about a strategy directed to google ads. The strategy: do many small ad campaigns, and record the result. Each time adjust a small variable (different age group, location, adjust the ad). Then see which is the most effective and then spend a good deal of money on that.

raymundo

Post by raymundo »

I am going to talk mainly about the audience part of this. I imagine there isn't anything wrong with directing to free-ware assets and even if there was, couldn't openra just put out a new release removing the option to download?

When looking to gain an audience we must think, what are these people doing currently? Right this moment I looked and there are near 100,000 people just watching league of legends streams on twitch. This is a strategy game, not exactly like cnc but one nonetheless. Understand that I don't want us to become that game, but we should consider what makes it so popular.

One thing we could take from that type of that game is some aspect of progression. Maybe people would feel more drawn to the game if there was a registration system for names. Along with this, certain emblems could be displayed next to a persons name based on how many games they've played, etc, or we could allow official tournaments to let someone display specific tournament related badges from winning. People love competition, but also to display their achievements. I personally don't require such a thing from the game to enjoy it, but maybe this would attract people.

Unit balance is an ongoing issue. I feel it is better this release but something about the allies artillery seems broken to me.

People mentioned the TotalBiscuit coverage, this is a huge way to gain an audience. I actually started playing a couple months after he featured the game, but I heard that the servers weren't able to handle the hug of that many players. The game is more polished now, but if the devs still feel it needs more work maybe we should wait to be featured again. If we can't handle a surge then people will likely shy away. The next step is compiling a list of popular channels and see who would be a good match/willing to cover OpenRA.

The idea to make videos of tutorials is a great idea and something I'd be willing to participate in. Again lets make a list of things we want to cover.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

This is a great thread.

If someone would be willing to record videos for a tutorial series (Raymundo?) I'd be more than happy to help with editing and video graphics/effects. Start a new public discussion thread and we could flesh out what concepts and parts we want to include in a tutorial. Could be fun. OpenRA has it's own official youtube channel, it would be nice putting some tutorial videos in there.

I've mentioned it before but if the single player campaigns were worked on more (including video briefings and a seamless progression) then that would go a long way to get players from Noobmapmakers' level 3 to level 4 and 5. That and a tutorial series would ease new players' transition from single player to multiplayer.

As for promotions, we currently got 4 competition formats running simultaneously. The official tournaments (next up, a 1v1/2v2 hybrid), Spy's frequent NA RA tournament, the RA European league and anjew/AoA's upcoming TD World league. FiveAces' shoutcasts and my regular monday streams both started up last summer. OpenRA's promotional value is in it's infancy but there's tons of potential here.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

raymundo wrote: One thing we could take from that type of that game is some aspect of progression. Maybe people would feel more drawn to the game if there was a registration system for names. Along with this, certain emblems could be displayed next to a persons name based on how many games they've played, etc, or we could allow official tournaments to let someone display specific tournament related badges from winning. People love competition, but also to display their achievements. I personally don't require such a thing from the game to enjoy it, but maybe this would attract people.
This is a big one, IMO. I have specified a likely implementation on the game side at #9990, but have strugged to get any support for doing the server-side work (setting up the IRC services) or discussion over the technical details of the proposal so it has not been able to move forwards.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

I know I'm a newbie, but I saw this thread and felt I had to join and respond. The reason that I got me and friends into OpenRA was because of how EASY it was to install on Linux, in comparison to say warcraft 2. If asset downloading is dropped, it will just make installs harder, I have no idea why you think it will attract new people, I think it will be the opposite.

Another thing, I think that having a reference manual for all the different units, organized in one place, is also something that can help new players. A friend of mine played the game and tried using the spy, and the only thing he saw was the text "infilitrate into different buildings for different effects".

Finally, my friend plays with his brother on the LAN, but he says he is afraid to play online because players are much better than him. How would you suggest fixing this? Maybe some ladder system? Maybe a server or two dedicated to noobs?

xan2622

Post by xan2622 »

lucassss wrote: I know I'm a newbie, but I saw this thread and felt I had to join and respond. The reason that I got me and friends into OpenRA was because of how EASY it was to install on Linux, in comparison to say warcraft 2. If asset downloading is dropped, it will just make installs harder, I have no idea why you think it will attract new people, I think it will be the opposite.
The main idea of this thread is to drop "asset downloads" in order to make OpenRA publishable on Steam (btw, it's just a thought that I have had, it's not what OpenRA devs will necessary do or want).

My point is that other projects similiar to OpenRA (open-source game engines) often don't feature original assets. For example : CaesarIA : http://store.steampowered.com/app/327640/?l=english which has as current goal to replace all original graphics.

And on a side note, I have never been against the idea to click on a button to download assets but this "action" is not compatible with Steam. Which, I think, would make OpenRA really really more popular.

Since OpenRA doesn't own the rights over the assets, we can't bundle them if the OpenRA installer is on Steam (nor that we can host assets elsewhere).

After all, finding the original assets on the web is not really complicated...
lucassss wrote: Another thing, I think that having a reference manual for all the different units, organized in one place, is also something that can help new players. A friend of mine played the game and tried using the spy, and the only thing he saw was the text "infilitrate into different buildings for different effects".
Check this Github Issue: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/3788
lucassss wrote: Finally, my friend plays with his brother on the LAN, but he says he is afraid to play online because players are much better than him. How would you suggest fixing this? Maybe some ladder system? Maybe a server or two dedicated to noobs?
You friend and his brother can play online together if they want (on a dedicated server). They are not obliged to play with other people.. Soon or later, they will both get more skilled and they'll be able to play against other people.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Would an ingame encyclopedia (#3788) with entries for each unit / structure / support power / etc work for you lucassss?