how did you guys make the background??

wondering...

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Truth

how did you guys make the background??

Post by Truth »

how was the background to this game made?
the background with all the fighting and all that...

jaymanxyz

Post by jaymanxyz »

Hello. I don't know anything about making or coding maps, but I thought I would share what I know with you.

The background is called the "shellmap" and the RA shellmap is known as the "desert-shellmap." You can explore the files at OpenRA>mods>ra>maps>desert-shellmap. You'll need a special text editor though, like Notepad++.

Maybe that will give you an idea about what goes in to making the shellmap. Hope this little bit of information helps! :)

Aaron_Lloyd

Post by Aaron_Lloyd »

What ever happened to the temperate shellmap? I miss having a bit of variety going on in the background while I waited in the lobby. :p

Matt

Post by Matt »

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Basically you can have every map as shellmap (and also more than one shellmap, the game auto chooses one of the available ones).
You need to define "Visibility: Shellmap" in "map.yaml" (the default is "Visibility: Lobby").

Scott_NZ

Post by Scott_NZ »

Aaron_Lloyd wrote: What ever happened to the temperate shellmap? I miss having a bit of variety going on in the background while I waited in the lobby. :p
Nothing wrong with variety but it was decided that it wasn't actually very good so it was removed.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Scott_NZ wrote: Nothing wrong with variety but it was decided that it wasn't actually very good so it was removed.
Oh you mean the Artillery fire + tank fire + exploding buildings + cruiser fire + chrono + triple nuke, all happening in the time-span of about 5 seconds? LOL good old times - "Time to play some OpenRA. Better turn down the volume a bit."

kesman

Post by kesman »

Not really related to the topic, but do you think there's any way to somehow make this a windows screensaver?

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

kesman wrote: Not really related to the topic, but do you think there's any way to somehow make this a windows screensaver?
That would be awesome! Even random AI matches as a screensaver would be awesome.