Donation to help continuous server coverage

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Baxxster

Donation to help continuous server coverage

Post by Baxxster »

Hello peeps! :)

As some of you might have noticed, I've started hosting most of the infrastructure for OpenRA and it's gameservers.

I'm currently renting two dedicated servers, one in the US, and one in EU.

This has so far mostly (With some help, thanks to those who have helped out!) gone from my own pocket, but I'm currently entering a somewhat harder state financially, and I might need to consider cutting down on my expenses to get things going around.

So I'm writing this, hoping that there's someone out there who would like to help out to let us have the server coverage that we currently have. All money donated will go towards server rent, nothing else.

If you're interested in helping out, I can offer you a game server of any mod of your liking, with your own specified hostname, password, etc, either in EU or US.

Note: This will NOT mean that core infrastructure will go down, I will always need my EU server, so this does not mean that OpenRA need the funds to live, only for this coverage I'm currently providing, but I'll always do what I can to keep it like this.

The EU server is due 27th each month, and is priced €40. Specs:
http://stats.baxxster.no/phpsysinfo/ind ... sp=dynamic
This should cover _alot_ of game servers, this is currently hosting most of the ones I provide.
It also currently hosts the game assets (Mirror), OpenRA Master Server, Resource Center and the Tournament site.

The US Server is due the last day each month, and is priced $30. Specs:
http://us.baxxster.no/phpsysinfo/index.php?disp=dynamic
This server is used as a secondary asset mirror on my end, as well as game servers for the community, and people who have donated at some point.

Hope people are happy with the gameservers out there! :)

Every dollar helps, the funds will stay on the PayPal account until it's been used on the servers :)

- Baxxster

Baxxster

Post by Baxxster »

An anonymous donor has been so kind do donate $100 towards the server costs. Thank you so much! :)

Baxxster

Post by Baxxster »

Another anonymous has been so kind to donate ~$46 - Thank you very much! :)

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

bump!

fir3w0rx

Post by fir3w0rx »

Not that I'm gonna donate (maybe one day), but where's the link to the PayPal account mentioned above? Also, why do you need a server from 2 different countries? (I'm sure there's a good reason but I'm just clueless when it comes to game servers).

JOo

Post by JOo »

the EU-Server doesnt really work ... everyone just has a bad ping on there , just saying

raymundo

Post by raymundo »

Want to give a testimonial- I contribute monthly to help with the servers, any of the US Raymundo servers are being run from Baxxster and sponsored partly by me. He is legit to deal with and is usually around to answer questions or help with resetting a server.

Baxxster

Post by Baxxster »

fir3w0rx wrote: Not that I'm gonna donate (maybe one day), but where's the link to the PayPal account mentioned above? Also, why do you need a server from 2 different countries? (I'm sure there's a good reason but I'm just clueless when it comes to game servers).
There's currently no "Donate" page, only an e-mail that I give out to my PayPal that I pay for the servers with, I'll make a quick donation page soon, makes it easier.

Having servers from two different locations (EU and US) lets people who's close to one of the regions have less lag and chance of interference in their games, as often pings across the ocean is horrible. :)

Baxxster

Post by Baxxster »

JOo wrote: the EU-Server doesnt really work ... everyone just has a bad ping on there , just saying
If you're on IRC, please message/ping me on "Baxxster" with what server number, and mod, my guess is that they're "Greyed out" on ping bar, and reports "Connection problems". These needs to be restarted. :)

JOo

Post by JOo »

im not exactly sure what makes you think that people join irc just telling you that your server dont work ...

while they could instead just jump into another of the 20 available servers ...

dont get me wrong , i dont wanna be mean ... but other hosters check their servers regularly by themself ... not asking for support nor donations (and even provide voip-servers)
Last edited by JOo on Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baxxster

Post by Baxxster »

JOo wrote: im not exactly sure what makes you think that people join irc just telling you that your server doesnt work ...

while they could instead just jump into another of the 20 available servers ...

dont get me wrong , i dont wanna be mean ... but other hosters check their servers regularly by themself ... not asking for support nor donations (and even provide voip-servers)
I'm probably more a contributor than player currently, and it varies a lot if stuff happens to the servers (I've been talking to some of the devs about this, not sure where we ended on the server-crashing issues), so I don't have too much spare time these days to check them :)

I've been planning to develop a webinterface for the servers, where I was thinking of using hamb's status/start/stop script to manage the servers, so others can get access to this.

Hopefully, though, this issue can be figured out and sorted instead of working around it :D

Baxxster

Post by Baxxster »

Also, there's people who are unable to host their own servers, if they want to, they can, if interested, donate towards server cost, and I always offer servers in return, regardless of ammount. That way people get their "Own" server :D

Matt

Post by Matt »

We can add you to https://salt.bountysource.com/teams/openra so you can use it to finance the infrastructure. Already setup the goals for the servers.

Hecthor Doomhammer

Post by Hecthor Doomhammer »

You have received a little present...