The Art of Pausing

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
SoScared

Post by SoScared »

DvD wrote: Har har. This passive-aggressive comment was quite uncalled for but I'll be sporty and say touché.
Well you insisted on that our assertions cannot be proved so I backed off from the "evidence" and gave you the quote. Don't mean to hurt your feelings but when your argument rests on people usually being jerks, get prepared to be called a jerk.

I think this thread made an interesting read but I think it's unlikely I'll experience someone pause the game for "strategic" purposes other than say, putting their baby back to sleep (last time I remember it used. lol guess who). Anyone who do will only lessen the experience. You (OP) yourself experienced rage the first time you tried it and then started this thread.
Last edited by SoScared on Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DvD

Post by DvD »

I fear, however, that this is an isolated opinion and that pausing is generally frowned upon.
So my prediction was correct. Pausing is lame and if you do that for any other reason than having to take a break you are really, really mean and your name will live in infamy.

Point taken.

My opinion, while not advocating the constant use of pausing, justifies some of its uses but they are massively frowned upon as well. Okay.

So... there's little reason to keep that feature in multiplayer anymore.

By the way...
JOo wrote: It's RTS ... if you need a pause during the game ... then try Civilization or Heroes of Might and Magic ... Battle Isle ...

but please dont interrupt the game to get a really lame advantage over the other players
hotze wrote: If you can't keep up with the speed of your opponents, then maybe you have to accept that you're only an average or good player and not a top player.
It might be that you are speaking generically and not to me particularly, but I'd like to repeat that I did that once and with the consent of my teammates. I wanted to try something unusual and it's very unlikely I'd do that again, regardless of this discussion.

I'm not a top player for sure, though.
JOo wrote: and btw. APM in OpenRA doesnt mean anything ... you can raise your APM with all sorts of random clicks ... without making any sense , or showing any skill ...
some of the best players win their games with a constant 30 Apm ...
chamberlain , nukembro for example ...
hotze wrote: APM is a useless statistic anyway, especially considering this: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/9303
Of course you can artificially inflate APM by moving E1s back and forth ten times a sec. I was talking about "natural" APM which is what I (and probably everybody else) get without any lame mass-clicking shenanigans. I'm not that slow to have to resort to pauses, there, that was my assertion.

DvD

Post by DvD »

SoScared wrote:
DvD wrote: Har har. This passive-aggressive comment was quite uncalled for but I'll be sporty and say touché.
Well you insisted on that our assertions cannot be proved so I backed off from the "evidence" and gave you the quote. Don't mean to hurt your feelings but when your argument rests on people usually being jerks, get prepared to be called a jerk.
No feelings hurt :) Mine wasn't really an argument, I was just betting people would unpause in most cases (say... >50% of the time). I might very well be wrong!

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Ah ok I apologize for being so spikey. I don't really enjoy that. Well maybe a little :lol:

zinc

Post by zinc »

If people started using this trick, very soon people would be calling for the function to be disabled...

squirrel

Post by squirrel »

This is a bad idea, RA is Real Time Strategy not a Turn-Base Strategy (TBS)

raymundo

Post by raymundo »

Pause is there, like others said, for coaching or emergency. To use it tactically to buy time invalidates the match imo. I would just quit the match at that point most likely. Extremely cheap move, this isn't chess.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

No art, just lame.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server