Should grenadiers be either switched to allies or shared?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

Should grenadiers be either switched to allies or a shared unit?

Yes switch them to allies
No votes
Yes share them with allies and soviets
15%
No keep them to the soviet side only
85%

Total votes: 13

zinc

Should grenadiers be either switched to allies or shared?

Post by zinc »

Should grenadiers be either switched to allies or a shared unit that both soviets and allies can use?

And should they blow up less??

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

I feel like soviets should hold the grenadiers exclusively to retain their identity as a steamroll faction. I can't think of a good reason to switch in terms of balance. Has there been a previous discussion on this?

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

I don't build them because they blow up my infantry :) and I'm to bad at microing them individually.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

PizzaAtomica

Post by PizzaAtomica »

I'd rather see them stay on the Soviet side. The Hind being on the Allied side is allready driving me to near insanity (It's a HIND! Like, the most Sovietest of Soviet vehicles ever!!), I get that it's better for balance but I'd rather see it changed into a western helicopter like a Cobra or something. The APC on the Soviet side I can tolerate if only because the Soviets had APC's in mission 7. But I don't think my mental stability can take any more units swapping between factions :lol:
noobmapmaker wrote: I don't build them because they blow up my infantry :) and I'm to bad at microing them individually.
Haha I never build them either for this reason exactly

squirrel

Post by squirrel »

I think we should keep´em with soviets... As SoScared said, they are the steamroller faction and grenadiers have a good use for rushing and sneaky attacks.
Off topic: Nerf shock troopers! Buff the heavy tank! haha. :D

Prince Blueblood

Post by Prince Blueblood »

The saving grace of Soviet micro-leaning players? gone to Allies?

Please... NO

while in the long run Grenadier is redundant indeed, we had flamethrowers doing their job better and with marginally more safety measures since they didn't explode. In early phase, I've seen excellent Grenadier micro destroy a player early on.

Maybe they either need significantly less chance to explode (so they can reliably act as infantry screen for that slower heavy tanks), or the opposite, gave them significantly stronger explosion so in a pinch they could be used as soviet suicide bomber if needed...
OpenRA Nicks :
- Everything with "Blueblood" inside
- Yuelang (when I speak Chinese, literally)

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...

zoidyberg

Post by zoidyberg »

Rushing 5 Grenadiers at the beginning of matches seems to have fallen out of favor lately. Hell, I haven't seen an early game flame rush in the last 6-8 weeks.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

perhaps make it so that grenadiers can c4 vehicles like tanya did but with much less damage. This way it makes grenadiers more useful and encourages players to create more anti-infantry units/structures.

Or just another feature that makes them more useful in the late/mid game.

r34ch

Post by r34ch »

zoidyberg wrote: Rushing 5 Grenadiers at the beginning of matches seems to have fallen out of favor
They aren't micro friendly. One wrong click and either you loose them all at once or you don't take out the structure in time.

Would be nice whatever happens to reduce the explosion likely hood just a bit.

Prince Blueblood

zoidyberg wrote: Rushing 5 Grenadiers at the beginning of matches seems to have fallen out of favor lately. Hell, I haven't seen an early game flame rush in the last 6-8 weeks.
but in the other hand, the head on Grenadier rush is slowly changing into more intelligent use of grenadiers hidden in the backyard of the enemy preferably with riflemen, rocketmen, and flak truck as well, not to take them on early, but to provide a stab in the back when their front are distracted.

Of course, this cannot happen in some of the simpler maps, but 4 players playing on 8 players map will at least have someone trying on it.

Plus, I'm actually half-torn at Grenadier lost or get their explosiveness reduced. If any of you ever have 2 or 3 grenadier running toward your infantry mix early on and somehow get your infantry massacred over the explosion... now, that's a freaking good micro. (yeah I've get the wrong end of that)

Why not get 100% explosive probability and get their cost raised to 200, while their explosion could end up taking significant chunk of surrounding infantry or even structural health? This way they could have use later as 'suicide' bombers.

*ability to self detonate on demand might be included too, maybe like "Deploy to suicide bomb" thing devastator had.
OpenRA Nicks :

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...

r34ch

Post by r34ch »

Prince Blueblood wrote: Why not get 100% explosive probability and get their cost raised to 200, while their explosion could end up taking significant chunk of surrounding infantry or even structural health? This way they could have use later as 'suicide' bombers.

*ability to self detonate on demand might be included too, maybe like "Deploy to suicide bomb" thing devastator had.
Now you just have the RA2 cuban terrorist :P

Actually you may be on to something. In one of the RA1 expansion missions there was a civilian which ran up to your troops and detonated a small nuclear warhead. A civy nuke is silly, but if they had a V2 warhead, civilian running scared speed and crappy hp, along with a ban from entering transports you could give them to Ukraine as a new faction unique unit...

That would give ukraine a lot more flexibility if balanced right.

Prince Blueblood

Hmm... set grenadier death explosion higher, give them suicide bomb shortcut via deploy, and give them to only Ukraine with increased cost of 200.

Sounds good...

Until you realized that Demo truck are canonically remote controlled trucks in RA and Ukrainians aren't likely to blast themselves shouting Karl-Mark-Hu-Akbar
OpenRA Nicks :

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Or... Set explosive chance to 25%, keep their attackstats as is (quite ok vs everything) and give the ability to attach bombs to vehicles (30% damage of a harvester).

Then the grenadier is a unit for the masses and a micro unit
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server