Did infantry significantly easier to Squish in Tiberian Dawn

Or is that merely my perception?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Prince Blueblood

Did infantry significantly easier to Squish in Tiberian Dawn

Post by Prince Blueblood »

While RA only has warn probability of 50, and CNC is actually 67 (already checked the rules), it seems that crushing infantry in Tiberian dawn is far easier while It was kind of tricky in RA, while according to their stats, the reverse should be true.

So while you can see that infantry blobs and groups are the blunt warhammer to smash the enemy in RA, overwhelming them with numbers...

Trying to do the same in TD will result in light tanks squishing your infantry like bugs, while trying the same in RA, will result in dead light tanks and infantry go unimpeded.

So... maybe this is either intentional, or just my perception because the TD players are generally better on microing tanks?
OpenRA Nicks :
- Everything with "Blueblood" inside
- Yuelang (when I speak Chinese, literally)

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

The problem resides in the speed of the light tanks.

RA Light tanks do not crush infantry but TD does. TD Light tank speeds are faster then normal tanks which makes it easy for them to crush the infantry. Currently right now in the release Light tanks are imbalanced. They do to much damage vs certian units and have to much HP. The playtest has this fixed making them more balanced.

The speed never changed however. Mechanic for crushing infantry is RNG used however if they are running in a straight line or in movement there is no RNG chance for them to get crushed. I don't know which one is the problem exactly but reducing light tank speed would allow infantry to live longer.

This however presents another problem as Nod is supposed to be hit and run. Light tanks are the perfection for this and mixing them with bikes and buggies allows for a good combination. (Even mixing light tanks with Flame tanks.)

Perhaps the issue could be that Light tanks are such a good mixture of a unit itself that its probably to good. Ive always had the idea of slowing their movement speed down by just a little and see what happens.

Regardless however, APCs and other fast vehicles can crush infantry. Just however APCs die faster to E3/Chem warriors then compared to light tanks. From the playtest games ive done with Anjew the light tanks are in a better balance then they had before. But im open to ideas as well.

A side note: Our last game in 1v1 TD has a slower harvestor rate of income unlike RA which is instantly 500. The harv slowly trickles a max amount of 900 at 108 a tick. This means having 2 refineries with 4 harvs will get you enough income quickly. Its how I got 4 hummers and 3 tanks so quickly when you had a few infantry and 3 buggies and 2 bikes. If you had more E3 backed with light tanks or bikes the game would have gone differently.

newwe

Post by newwe »

Pretty sure RA light tanks do crush infantry, they are just pretty weak so they don't get built as much.

Prince Blueblood

But still, even medium tanks also marginally easier to crush infantry in TD while they couldn't do that in RA.

Maybe this was the side effects of having smaller infantry graphical size in TD?
OpenRA Nicks :

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

newwe wrote: Pretty sure RA light tanks do crush infantry, they are just pretty weak so they don't get built as much.
You are right actually they do. I just tested it.

@Blueblood

Medium tanks can crush but not as easily as Light tanks due to the unit speeds. Medium tanks also have it tougher because they are an easier target to shoot at before being crushed.

Light Tanks move at quick speeds so they can engage the infantry faster before dieing. I do not believe infantry size makes a difference as they both still utilize one full cell for a squad of 5.

In fact I did a game of 1v1 where I was GDI and my opponent was Nod. He has mass light tanks vs my medium tanks mixed with the following units: E3, MLRS, and Hummers. The tanks could not get to the E3 because they were behind the tank line. The MLRS also behind the tank line and the hummers mixed in with the medium tanks. In TD this is how infantry are supposed to be used. Using terrain for gap closure and positioning.

Prince Blueblood

Now, I'm sure that they are indeed easier to crush in TD... or the average TD player have far better micro on average.

Because now the average TD players reaction when looking at the blob of chem warriors marching is not flee but charge them by tanks... duh...
OpenRA Nicks :

anjew

Post by anjew »

Not always smart since chem warriors do dmg to tanks when crushed
however sometimes you can avoid being crushed with a strategic scatter

newwe

Post by newwe »

Not sure about TD, but the units worth crushing in RA will generally be able to kill a light tank before they can be squished (ie basically anything but rifleman). Light tanks are pretty much only effective against undefended lightly armoured vehicle (ranger/arties/flaks) or as ore ref blockers, building them en mass as squishers doesn't seem to be popular.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

newwe wrote: Not sure about TD, but the units worth crushing in RA will generally be able to kill a light tank before they can be squished (ie basically anything but rifleman). Light tanks are pretty much only effective against undefended lightly armoured vehicle (ranger/arties/flaks) or as ore ref blockers, building them en mass as squishers doesn't seem to be popular.
That is because Allies also have medium tanks. Nod only have light tanks as their main battle tank feature.