TD balance thread

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Prince Blueblood wrote: For the opposite side, I agree to raise infantry evade chance even higher in TD, basically now infantry are mostly useless while you go with 4 airfields churning tanks and vehicles.

I mean, come on, they get instakilled by airstrikes, already harmed a lot by tiberium, and you want them to still crushed easily by tanks...

but yeah, even RA with 50% infantry dodge chance (numerically lower), end up far more usable there... but maybe this is because Medium tank speed in TD is the speed of light tank in RA, so yeah... and tanks are cheaper in TD too...

oh well... rant over... if anyone harassing harvesters with infantry, this will happen only in RA and Dune 2k. Tiberium harms non chem infantry, and chem are lategame thing...
Want to 1v1 sometime so I can show you? You can kill harvs with infantry rushes specialy with APCs or Chinooks. Infantry are still useful. You should see some of the games me and Anjew do.

@Anjew: I will test the 75 and 90 ratios and see how that is. 90 is a possible that its to high vs harvesters and other unit types.

The repair pad actually would be very useful simply due to the fact that units get rank ups. You want to keep those alive as much as possible.

anjew

Post by anjew »

Also, visceroids need to be changed back to their original AI of just sitting still otherwise it makes some maps very hard to play on

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Aye this is true. I need to figure out how to switch that back. It put out alot of good maps like Hour glass and Lexingtons. I will see if anything can be found.

Canavusbis

Post by Canavusbis »

What is the counter vs stnk?

EDIT: a bit more info, Rider and I were playing some games, and we ended up with mass mammy vs mass stnk. Would a few rockets mixed in counter the stnks? Mammy can roll right past without seeing them too (no 1-cell detection).

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

There are actually a few units that dont have 1-cell detections. Some of those units like tanks I plan to leave at either 0 cell or 1 cell. Infantry at 3 cell makes a big difference.

To counter Stnks while using mams? Use MLRS. the MLRS cluster rockets do mass AoE and since Stnks are light armored they die in bunches. Just make sure to cover protection on the MLRS.

Hummers can also destroy Stnks but that requires them to navigate through or around the tanks which is a pain to do. MLRS serves several purposes for countering the Stnks and artillery support.

Canavusbis

Post by Canavusbis »

Would it be reasonable to give hummers a detection range of 2? That way it reinforces the idea that they are scouts, and also provides a unit that is much less likely to be smushed as detection. Perhaps 1c512 would do :P.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Giving hummers range of 2 would mean Stnks cannot out run them and will get gun downed easily. Hummers relatively counter Stnks as it is and doing a range detection would make Stnks rather useless to build. Infantry having the detection range is better because atleast they can't catch up to them.

anjew

Post by anjew »

I know you told me earlier what the timeframe was for these additional changes but I forgot and Im sure other would like to know. Will we be seeing any addtional changes for the release?

Also insert name wanted to add "A10s flying over helis instead of pushing them out of the way" to the list

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

anjew wrote: Also insert name wanted to add "A10s flying over helis instead of pushing them out of the way" to the list
AFAIK that can't be done - never checked if two actors fly on different heights which might work - because the check is "Can I be pushed aside?" and not "Can I push aside?" => either you make helis nonpushable, either you accept that A10 also push them - again different flying heights might be a solution, but notsure how acceptable would that be if it'd turn out working.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

hotze

Post by hotze »

Graion Dilach wrote:
anjew wrote: Also insert name wanted to add "A10s flying over helis instead of pushing them out of the way" to the list
AFAIK that can't be done - never checked if two actors fly on different heights which might work - because the check is "Can I be pushed aside?" and not "Can I push aside?" => either you make helis nonpushable, either you accept that A10 also push them - again different flying heights might be a solution, but notsure how acceptable would that be if it'd turn out working.
Why shouldn't it be possible?
#7487 fixed that in RA. And #7842 changed the altitude of aircrafts in RA as well.
Therefore it ought to be possible in TD.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

anjew wrote: I know you told me earlier what the timeframe was for these additional changes but I forgot and Im sure other would like to know. Will we be seeing any addtional changes for the release?

Also insert name wanted to add "A10s flying over helis instead of pushing them out of the way" to the list
Additional changes will not be added until next release. Once next release is in then I can add more changes. Currently right now the listed changes will be in next release:

Ltnk: Changes
HP 350 from 360
damage vs heavy 90 from 100

Bike: Changes
Price 500 from 600

Artillery: Changes
Chance to explode 0 from 75

Chem Warrior: Changes
reload delay 65 from 70

Genadier: Changes
Grenade projectile speed 140 from 119

Hummer/Buggy: Changes
Damage vs heavy 15 from 20

------------------

Those changes will be out in next release. After that I can start making the additional changes. These ones listed here is what makes and breaks the game right now in terms of balance. Specially the ltnks.

anjew

Post by anjew »

hotze wrote:
#7487 fixed that in RA. And #7842 changed the altitude of aircrafts in RA as well.
Therefore it ought to be possible in TD.
Basically what Insert Name was suggesting. He also said the "c17" (nod cargo plane) needs to have a different height as well

Prince Blueblood

Post by Prince Blueblood »

and by the way, may we get a clickable option on a very specific thing...

That is to turn off the damned NOD AIRFIELD CARGO PLANE?

Oh well...it's kinda giving your enemy info where's your airfields are... and in particular on small or short height horizontal map, kinda spoil you build what? (Your enemy has a lot of cargo planes passing by --- TANK BIKES TIEM -- your enemy has suspiciously few cargo planes passing by -- ARTILLERY AND INFANTRY TIEM)
OpenRA Nicks :
- Everything with "Blueblood" inside
- Yuelang (when I speak Chinese, literally)

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Prince Blueblood wrote: and by the way, may we get a clickable option on a very specific thing...

That is to turn off the damned NOD AIRFIELD CARGO PLANE?

Oh well...it's kinda giving your enemy info where's your airfields are... and in particular on small or short height horizontal map, kinda spoil you build what? (Your enemy has a lot of cargo planes passing by --- TANK BIKES TIEM -- your enemy has suspiciously few cargo planes passing by -- ARTILLERY AND INFANTRY TIEM)
Ive often thought about this with cargo planes. The clickable option would have to be added by the devs. But personally why I am on the fence about it it does present one thing for GDI.

Nod early herass is hard to stop and seeing planes going by gives GDI the chance to respond back. You still don't know what units are being made however. Seeing Cargo planes going by constantly can mean either buggy/bike. But you can also confuse them going bike/tank builds. or buggy/tank builds. And since ltnks build speed matches flame, arty, MSAM, its hard to tell from those which is being built.

I really haven't seen a balance issue caused by just looking at the cargo planes. If you can show me otherwise however I would be willing to test it personally.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

The following information is now in the playtest.

-----------

Infantry stealth detection: Increase sight range of stealth detection to 2 from 1.

MLRS: Reduce price to 1000 from 1200

Repair pad: Repair speed increased. (Interval 15 from 0)

Blue Tiberium: Reduce the value income (60 from 75 per unit)

Infantry evade chance: 75 from 67

Samsites: cost reduced to 700 from 750. Reduced build time (2000 from 2160)

Airstrikes: Increase cool down timer to 3:30 from 3:00.