TD balance thread

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Norman_

Post by Norman_ »

new 1v1 map with all changes except aircraft:
http://resource.openra.net/maps/18103/

- the BaleUnloadDelay: 15 setting for the harvester isnt good - its just to slow & creates trafficjams

- the new sam is op - brutal vs orcas, maybe its a good start to reduce their range a bit or slower missiles

hope to have some more games on that map to see how all other changes work

map with normal harvester unload times:
http://resource.openra.net/maps/18105/

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

The new sam range is in preparation for the aircraft changes. Currently with the sam range its only good if it has units around it or structures for scouting. Its also easier to dodge from farther ranges and can be sniped if its LoS is limited.

The BaleUnloadDelay is exactly what that is intended to do. It reduces the amount of harvs to about 2-3 on a ref per node rather then 5. Slower unload also makes money spending a bit more important rather then truck loads of money coming in. It also makes refineries and harvs higher in value.

CampinJeff

Post by CampinJeff »

Also not really a fan of the unload delay. Makes gameplay feel slow. i get what you're trying to do, but I don't think this was a step in the right direction

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Currently not planned for next release anyways.

I am curious though if you could describe what makes the gameplay feel slower?

anjew

Post by anjew »

AoAGeneral1 wrote: Currently not planned for next release anyways.

I am curious though if you could describe what makes the gameplay feel slower?
From my observations its much harder to support an economy off 1 refinery which means you need at least 2 before teching up which slows down the game. It also inadvertently makes harvesters and the refinery even more of a target since any disruption would cause a major eco advantage to the attacker

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Can try for BaleUnloadDelay of 9 instead of 6 and see what results produces from that.

It sounds like it does work in making refineries and harvs higher targets to kill but perhaps to well.

CampinJeff

Post by CampinJeff »

Commando costing 2000 I think is too much. Even though they're a lot more consistent vs chems, I'd much rather pay for 20 minigunners to deal with any sort of infantry. I'd never want to use them outside of chinook or APC infiltration, but even at that I'd sometimes rather pay for cheaper engineers than the commando as it is right now.

Basically, something around 1500 sounds like a better number to me.

As for the unload, what anjew said was basically what I meant

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Commandos are at 2000 because they got buffed greatly. Originally being at 1000 seemed ok because they wouldn't one kill their targets at times. But now that they kill every shot without a single miss and shoot much farther it balances out. Besides, you can still go multi barrack plays for multiple commandos. Cost vs effective Commandos do the damage. You don't even need to go pure commandos. Mixing infantry in such as minigunners with a few commandos will do damage to infantry packs. Specially since commandos will attack only infantry while minigunners shoot anything.

As far as the engineer goes they don't kill infantry vs infantry battles and they can't capture anything in their current state. (Unless the opponent has zero awareness).

As for the unload aye it makes sense in that way. Curious on the 9 unload speed.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Following is now in the bleed:

Add detection to temple of Nod.

artillery minimum range increase from 2c896 to 3c0.

mammoth tank HP increase from 800 to 870.

ion time increase from 3:00 to 4:30.

nuke timer from 5 to 6.

nuke damage spread fallout increased from 1000, 368, 135, 50, 18, 7, 0
to 1000, 700, 500, 300, 150, 50, 0

nuke spread damage increased from 100 to 110. (First spread modifier)

a10 timer increased from 3:30 to 4:00.

MSAM HP from 120 to 180.

Commando weapon range increased from 6c0 to 8c0.

Commando weapon projectile speed increased from 1c682 to 5c682.

Commando price increase from 1000 to 2000.

Commando build time increased from 24 to 32.

Husks interval timer increased from 2 to 6.

Bike damage increase from 30 to 31.

Chem damage vs none reduced from 100 to 70.

Chem damage vs armor increased from 50 to 75.

Grenadier accuracy reduced from 213 to 813. (Makes them miss a lot more).

Flamer damage vs armor reduced from 20 to 10. (Flame infantry)

Flamer damage vs none increased from 100 to 110. (Flame infantry.)

Harv build timer increase from 24 to 27.

Harvester HP increase from 600 to 625.

Refinery power reduced from 50 to 40.

Refinery sell no longer refunds.

Refinery tiberium hold reduced from 2000 to 700.

Silo hold increase from 2000 to 3000.

AGT HP from 600 to 550.

Light Tank price reduced from 700 to 650.

Visceroid spawn reduce from 10 to 5.

Increase all building HP by 100.

Gun turret HP increase from 400 to 410.

Starting units adjusted for light support. (Humvee as GDI vs Buggy as Nod)

MCV build time decreased from 1:36 to 1:00.

Engineer HP increase from 25 to 30.

APC HP increase from 210 to 215.

APC Damage vs light decreased from 105 to 100.

APC cost decreased from 600 to 550.

Samsite range increased from 8c0 to 12c0.

Samsite spread damage decreased from 682 to 128.

Samsite range limit increased from 9c614 to 15co.

Samsite reveal shroud decreased from 8c0 to 6c0.

Samsite now fires two shots at a time.

Recon Bike HP decreased from 120 to 110.

Airstrip/Weapon Factory power increased from 30 to 50.

Communication Center power increased from 40 to 50.

APC movement speed increased from 128 to 132.

MRLS range reduced from 12c0 to 11c0.

MRLS damage vs none reduced from 35 to 25.

Obelisk power reduced from 150 to 90.

Chinook speed increased from 140 to 150.

Apache mobile speed decreased from 186 to 180.

Both Orca and Apache turnspeed increased from 4 to 7.

NOTES:

Aircraft is still being tested in terms of damage. Only about a week or less left on the voting. http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... 82&t=19848

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

I have just uploaded an aircraft only map for testing. http://resource.openra.net/maps/18408/

Grab it here.

Chinook speed 150. (from 140)

Apache speed 180. (from 186)

Apache reload count of 2. (From 10)

Apache reload per tick 40. (From 200)

Orca reload per tick 60. (From 100)

Big thanks goes to Insert Name and Norman for creating test maps and allowing me to figure out how to do the edits via by map.

Big thanks goes to Anjew for helping in testing several changes and tweaks made over in the past. (By doing the most old school way possible which is giving files to him by dropbox lol)

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

New map update with damage changes. http://resource.openra.net/maps/18798/

The problem with the tests here is only a handful of people are really good with aircraft. So the tests have been tough. I am currently torn in either have the damage changes go through on this map or leave the damages alone and stay with their reload speeds instead as this does produce more damage.

The effective dodging I have seen from Norman's use of choppers has been very effective in killing bikes but leaves the player without ground support. (Which as it should be.) Once a player goes AA mobile forces mixed with other ground troops then the aircraft becomes obsolete. It turns into a scenario of countering the buggy/bike rushes until the 2nd tier tech kicks in.

This could be a case of requiring much more testing. Here is a replay example. https://www.gamereplays.org/openra/repl ... &id=317382

GDave

Nod's inf + arty is OP vs GDI

Post by GDave »

Versus GDI, Nod going infantry + arty is OP. This is because artillery is so much more effective vs infantry than is MLRS.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Right now in the current release it is a strong mix vs GDI. However its a different story in bleed due to grenadiers buff, APC buff, and the opener buff.

I would be willing to have a look at this if you have a replay. As of right now to combat the units I go hummer opener with a few extra harvs (Not so much ref trick cause GDI needs the 2nd ref for income) one medium tank and some infantry to back em up. The hummers have to stay alive to keep eyes in front and snipe any infantry that you can while dodging arty. Once the arty focus on something else sweep to the back and go for the kill.

If its a choke map you will need to reside to the old school GDI tricks of holding positions with units. (Although in the current release this isn't easy to do vs Nod)

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Add detection to temple of Nod.

artillery minimum range increase from 2c896 to 3c0.

mammoth tank HP increase from 800 to 870.

ion time increase from 3:00 to 4:30.

nuke timer from 5 to 6.

nuke damage spread fallout increased from 1000, 368, 135, 50, 18, 7, 0
to 1000, 700, 500, 300, 150, 50, 0

nuke spread damage increased from 100 to 110. (First spread modifier)

a10 timer increased from 3:30 to 4:00.

MSAM HP from 120 to 180.

Commando weapon range increased from 6c0 to 8c0.

Commando weapon projectile speed increased from 1c682 to 5c682.

Commando price increase from 1000 to 2000.

Commando build time increased from 24 to 32.

Husks interval timer increased from 2 to 6.

Bike damage increase from 30 to 31.

Chem damage vs none reduced from 100 to 70.

Chem damage vs armor increased from 50 to 75.

Grenadier accuracy reduced from 213 to 813. (Makes them miss a lot more).

Flamer damage vs armor reduced from 20 to 10. (Flame infantry)

Flamer damage vs none increased from 100 to 110. (Flame infantry.)

Harv build timer increase from 24 to 27.

Harvester HP increase from 600 to 625.

Refinery power reduced from 50 to 40.

Refinery sell no longer refunds.

Refinery tiberium hold reduced from 2000 to 700.

Silo hold increase from 2000 to 3000.

AGT HP from 600 to 550.

Light Tank price reduced from 700 to 650.

Visceroid spawn reduce from 10 to 5.

Increase all building HP by 100.

Gun turret HP increase from 400 to 410.

Starting units adjusted for light support. (Humvee as GDI vs Buggy as Nod)

MCV build time decreased from 1:36 to 1:00.

Engineer HP increase from 25 to 30.

APC HP increase from 210 to 215.

APC Damage vs light decreased from 105 to 100.

APC cost decreased from 600 to 550.

Recon Bike HP decreased from 120 to 110.

Airstrip/Weapon Factory power increased from 30 to 50.

Communication Center power increased from 40 to 50.

APC movement speed increased from 128 to 132.

MRLS range reduced from 12c0 to 11c0.

MRLS damage vs none reduced from 35 to 25.

Obelisk power reduced from 150 to 90.

Obelisk is now charge fixed.

Chinook speed increased from 140 to 150.

Apache mobile speed decreased from 186 to 180.

Both Orca and Apache turnspeed increased from 4 to 7.

---------

The damages for the aircraft will not be going in. I have no future ideas at this time.

SAM has been revised.

RadicalEdward2

Post by RadicalEdward2 »

Okay, so I didn't have time to read through the ENTIRE 20+ pages but, I'll just throw out some ideas on how to fix Tiberian Dawn.

1. Make SAMs and AGTs able to hit the airstrikes

Before anyone crucifies me, I'll explain the reasoning behind it.
OpenRA was designed as a re-imagining of the original game with newer features.

With that being it's major selling point (I know the things free but, it's a figure of speech), it shouldn't nerf things that actually break the mechanics of the game's campaign.

What I mean by this is, the NOD mission Warthog Hunt, has lost it's purpose.

(I know this is from Sun but, it's just a visual)

One of the objectives of the mission is to "Build 3 SAM" to repel GDI airstrikes.

As far as I've seen for the first month playing Dawn, SAMs and AGTs don't do diddly squat to stop the Warthogs (despite them being a mission requisite).
The core reason for the level existing was to showcase "anti-air capabilities" as one of the game's mechanics.

I know some people might say, "Don't nerf planes by making Surface-to-Air Missiles actually able to shoot Missiles from the Surface to the Air!"

But, what's really the point of even having SAMs if the only things they can shoot down are VTOLs? That would mean there's ZERO ways of defending your base from airstrikes.

I'm not saying make AGTs and SAMs capable of taking out ALL bombing runs but, at the very least, let them have enough strength and projectile speed (specifically for bombing runs and not VTOLs) to deal damage to them. In that same breathe, make the mobile SAMs capable of dealing damage to them as well but, not enough to ground them (unless you have like 3 SAMs firing at it at once).

1.5 NOD Airstrikes

Having not played skirmish on the original game, I don't think NOD ever had air units aside from carrier planes and VTOLs but, with that in mind, I had an idea.
---
This one is more of a nit-picky thing because I am THAT GUY that looks at and appreciates every little detail in a C&C game.
---

Having played tons of Renegade X, why not use their idea for NOD Airstrikes to distinguish them from the GDI.

For those that haven't played C&C:Renegade X, GDI has their Warthogs but, Nod's is way cooler to look at.

Nod's airstrikes involve using a single plane similar to the ones used for the airstrip except it fires the equivalent of a dozen Artillery rounds down at a targeted area while it circles the location like a buzzard or a vulture!

Is it realistic? Heck if I know but, it looks awesome!

Seeing as I mentioned giving anti-air units and structures more power, there could be traits that make the GDI Warthog different from NOD's Bomber Plane.

The Warthog has both speed as well as the fact that they come in a pack of three.

The Bomber could consist of a single plane but, to make up for it's lack of numbers, it could make up in HP. That way it can circle an area three times while taking tons of fire.

I mean it's kind of a tall order but, then again there's the flight mechanics in Red Alert and Ukraine's Bombing Run ability. Could just mush those two together.

2. Add a "classic" build range option

Everyone knows how the old C&C games had a certain range of where buildings could be placed based on where others were. Maybe make that old mechanic available as an option for Campaign and Skirmish options.

3. Fix the current building range

Right now, I feel like "the circle"s construction area gets really vague once you reach the edges. When you get there, you start to hit a bunch of "cannot build here"s before you even touch the lining.

At the same time, I think buildings place near the borders of the build area should have a smaller build circle to place defenses (kind of like how they had it in Tiberium Wars).

The only reason I suggest this is because there's situations where you just have to make due with what space you have and if you capture a building that's in the middle of nowhere, then you have to send out half an army to watch the darn thing.

4. Crush-able Vehicles

One thing I remember from the old TD was that Medium and Mammoth tanks (not Lights) COULD in fact run over stuff like Bikes and Buggies. I've only seen it happen once or twice and I'm not sure why the feature wasn't brought back in later games (aside from maybe the Battle Fortress in Yuri's Revenge).

To balance out this feature, give light vehicles a "keep away" mechanic for when they engage tanks. That way, they instinctively try to stay at least one "square" away from tanks that could potential crush them while they fire at them.

5. Make Flame-based units immune to fire

I'm not sure if this actually was implemented or not but, it's the main reason why I never build Flamethrowers or Flame Tanks.
I know Flame Tanks can sometimes (often times) accidentally hit friendly Flame Tanks and cause damage. I don't know if this also applies for Flamethrowers.

6. Nuke/Ion + Airstrike = Cheesy MCV Destruction

The super-weapon/airstrike combo should NOT be able to 1HK Construction Yards.
Being guilty of doing that multiple times in single player skirmishes, I shouldn't be able to do that.
It's cheap.
This is kind of a continuation of my first point but, it's still an issue.

7. Commando Range

I always thought the Commando didn't have enough range. I'm not too sure if anyone else agrees with me but, that's what I think.

8. Increase the Cursor Detection with Units

My biggest pet peeve with the game right now is the fact that you can easily miss clicking an enemy for your units to attack and end up having your units killed because they all decided to walking up to the enemy was a rational order.

My theory is that the in-game cursor is too small because I've never seen this happen in any other C&C game until OpenRA.

9. AI Infantry Walking in Tiberium

I'm absolutely positive that enemy Infantry pretend Tiberium doesn't exist. I don't understand why though because, I know the pathfinding for player-owned infantry makes an actual effort to avoid walking into it.

10. APCs too weak
I don't even bother building them (even if they do shoot down aircraft) because the APCs are too weak to even defend themselves against infantry. What damage they do inflict doesn't seem like enough of an incentive to actually build them.

So far these are the only balancing (and general thoughts) feedback I have so far. I'll probably come up with more stuff eventually.