Inappropriate server names

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
zinc

Inappropriate server names

Post by zinc »

Seen recently:

"I hate niggers" as a server name.

Is there any kind of policy against inappropriate server names?

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Nope, not if it's hosted by someone in the comfort of their own home. Such is the way of the internet. Same thing happens on pretty much any game I play online at some point; servernames, playernames, the lot.

Matt

Post by Matt »

The server list is automatized and not moderated. There is also no way of blacklisting IPs. This is a valid reason to think about such a feature. You can suggest it at https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRAMasterServer/issues/new

Prince Blueblood

Post by Prince Blueblood »

Seriously? Getting offended by inappropriate server name?

in an ironic twist, the server "F***BOY" is on of the most stable servers out there ;)
OpenRA Nicks :
- Everything with "Blueblood" inside
- Yuelang (when I speak Chinese, literally)

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

It honestly isn't and also SHOULDN'T be so surprising that people can get insulted from servernames, if they are inappropriate.

The example given by zinc is actually a fine example of what is inappropriate.. perhaps I should see if there already is a request made and +1 it or something.

Prince Blueblood

Speedy wrote: It honestly isn't and also SHOULDN'T be so surprising that people can get insulted from servernames, if they are inappropriate.

The example given by zinc is actually a fine example of what is inappropriate.. perhaps I should see if there already is a request made and +1 it or something.
looking at profane swearwords or inappropriate server name, who didn't say anything more is one thing...

there's another thing to have somebody knowing you are from where (due to locations - I'm from Indonesia), and start calling you "Sandnigga" "Raghead" "Terrorist" "Jihadist" "Suicide Bomber" "Kebab" :lol: even if they're wrong about it ;)

Nah, I'm cool and not thinking much about it when it comes to name callings, but some other guys (who take their faiths seriously) I knew didn't take that too well.
OpenRA Nicks :

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Prince Blueblood wrote: "Kebab"
What. This has to be the most bizarre racial slur I can think of.

Prince Blueblood

BaronOfStuff wrote:
Prince Blueblood wrote: "Kebab"
What. This has to be the most bizarre racial slur I can think of.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ve%20kebab
OpenRA Nicks :

klaas

Post by klaas »

I've seen some pretty bad examples of racial slur on OpenRA over the years, but yeah, you know, I just hope people don't take it too serious and let it ruin their fun. I don't think it is a war worth fighting.

YuriMolina

Post by YuriMolina »

Any server hosted in Germany, DDoS you if you choose Hitler as Username.