Abbility to mute other players (chat)

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
folkilsk

Post by folkilsk »

Holy_Master wrote: instead of mute him why not just put option to show massage receive from select player. yeah now they can talk anything they want you just didn't hear it. :P
Exactly, why give the first oen to join the server the power to ban or mute, let them add users to a ignore filter instead,
I don't want some commie coming into my server and start shovign peopel around, I belive in freedom and the right to express yourself no matter your opinion.

Holy_Master

Post by Holy_Master »

the right to choose to listen or see only word or thing you want isn't count as freedom? isn't the real freedom is allow them to have every option they see fit for them self without interfere right of the other?

i wonder what you define on your freedom? every one have right to kill anyone, right to snatch thing from other people , right to libel everyone they don't like with false or untrue information just because they were born with ability to do that?

but fine. if it's your server it's your right to manage it as you please anyway.

Matt

Post by Matt »

All multiplayer games that do not work with pre-defined and recorded voice snippets, have a mute button so this seems to be a valid request. Report it as a feature request http://bugs.open-ra.org

Hoj

Post by Hoj »

Holy_Master wrote: i wonder what you define on your freedom? every one have right to kill anyone, right to snatch thing from other people , right to libel everyone they don't like with false or untrue information just because they were born with ability to do that?
He was only talking about freedom of speech and expression, not killing other people.

I do not think we should be encouraging censorship on Openra, just an "ignore" feature, as you can choose to ignore people in AFK too.

folkilsk

Post by folkilsk »

Hoj wrote:
Holy_Master wrote: i wonder what you define on your freedom? every one have right to kill anyone, right to snatch thing from other people , right to libel everyone they don't like with false or untrue information just because they were born with ability to do that?
He was only talking about freedom of speech and expression, not killing other people.

I do not think we should be encouraging censorship on Openra, just an "ignore" feature, as you can choose to ignore people in AFK too.
Exactly, after all ,the game is abot fighting communism.

Freedom or nothing!

Hoj

Post by Hoj »

That's a good point, the game is about fighting for freedom, overcoming the communism that some members of this forum are happy to spread. I am sickened.

Holy_Master

Post by Holy_Master »

yeah i think just option to ignore is enough, i understand how bad when people speak what you don't want to hear nearby or direct to you . even just word can hurt people but it's not right to mute them.

and i think this topic is just suggestion not an order.

deniz1a

Post by deniz1a »

Hoj wrote: That's a good point, the game is about fighting for freedom, overcoming the communism that some members of this forum are happy to spread. I am sickened.
The game is about having fun, not fighting for freedom or overcoming communism. Although this being an open source project makes contributing to it an act of spreading freedom and democracy. One of the factions in the game is Soviet Union, how can it be about overcoming communism? It could equally be about overcoming capitalism by that logic. Don't you ever play as the Soviets?

Anyways, when the revolution succeeds and the dictatorship of the prolateriat extends its caring hand to the impoverished masses, you shall too experience the virtues of communism and join the Communist Party, comrade Hoj. :P
Last edited by deniz1a on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

deniz1a

Re: Abbility to mute other players (chat)

Post by deniz1a »

folkilsk wrote:
Baembaer wrote: I know that not this many people play this game, but even on 200 people there has to be at least one dickhead. Because you can change your name as you please, there is no use, using a whitelist. I know, you can kick or Ban players while in the lobby. But if the game started and trash talk about "Jews" and "Fire" starts, its already to late. Is there a possibility to Chat-Mute other players? I just want to have a good time, playing this exellent piece of software. ( By the way a big THANK YOU! ) You did an amazing job.

Regards
Bäm
you need to start respectign freedom of speech, kid.
Freedom of speech does not include the right to force your speech onto others. Freedom of speech comes with the freedom to ignore. You're free to say what you want and I'm free to listen to it or not.

I also agree with Baembaer. There should be an option to mute or ignore other players in the game.

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- »

Indeed - As OP himself said:
It's not an feature to mute the aggressiv player, but for the passive to not seeing the messages.
This has nothing to do with stiffling speech.
It's a suggestion to give the end user a means of safely ignoring anyone who might be acting in a harmful manner through chat - whatever that manner may be. (spam comes to mind)

Besides.. This is the internet you're talking about.
Unless you are in some way contributing financially to this board, the IRC or the master server that operates OpenRA hosting, you have no freedom of speech around here to speak of - only a privilege that can revoked at any moment.

zinc

Post by zinc »

Hoj wrote: That's a good point, the game is about fighting for freedom, overcoming the communism that some members of this forum are happy to spread. I am sickened.
You do know that with command and conquer you can play either side?

So I could just as easily say that C&C Red Alert is about fighting for communism!

Of course, in reality, it's just a game to have fun with; and as such, you may want to not listen to certain people.

zinc

Post by zinc »

I just notice deniz1a already made the same point.

folkilsk

Post by folkilsk »

zinc wrote:
You do know that with command and conquer you can play either side?

So I could just as easily say that C&C Red Alert is about fighting for communism!

Of course, in reality, it's just a game to have fun with; and as such, you may want to not listen to certain people.
wow, you know communism has killed several hundred million people, right? Ask the former citizens of DDR how they feel about communism, kiddo.

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- »

folkilsk wrote: kid.
folkilsk wrote: kiddo.
Let's try not to stoop to immature ad homine--
folkilsk wrote: I don't want some commie coming into my server
Oh.. Well then, if you insist.
Dear subhuman nugget, let's take this from the top...
You made this point:
folkilsk wrote: Exactly, after all ,the game is abot fighting communism.
Zinc made this counterpoint:
zinc wrote: You do know that with command and conquer you can play either side?
And you reply with this:
folkilsk wrote: wow, you know communism has killed several hundred million people, right?
Notice how this has ZERO relevance to both points.

Now to reiterate the point brought up by Zinc AND others before him:
The allied faction is only one half of the game.
If you're gonna claim the game is about anything, then you need to take the other half
of the game - WHERE YOU PLAY AS THE SOVIETS - into consideration as well.

You don't like communism? Good for you, but don't use it as a bludgeon to silence anyone
you don't feel like agreeing with at the moment, and do NOT assume that
a videogame - a piece of fictional entertainment - somehow excuses such an act
OP has a very valid point, and you're being an ignorant oaf about it.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

This has gone quite off topic. The original request (adding a mute option) is quite reasonable, and any further discussion of that feature can be done in a github ticket.