Difficulty

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
foul_owl

Difficulty

Post by foul_owl »

You're probably going to laugh....but is anyone else getting their ass kicked by the AI? I'm playing C&C, both as GDI and NOD. It's awesome having an AI that is tough, but even on easy I'm losing most of the time. :lol:

Not looking for hints or anything, but wondering if I'm just a terrible player.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

You should try against the Normal or Hard AI's instead. They all use the same logic behind the scenes, but have different build orders and group sizes. The intention was for the Easy AI to build smaller groups in order to make them easier to kill, but this had the side effect of making it super agressive.
Easy AI will often beat the "harder" bots if you let them duke it out.

folkilsk

Re: Difficulty

Post by folkilsk »

foul_owl wrote: You're probably going to laugh....but is anyone else getting their ass kicked by the AI? I'm playing C&C, both as GDI and NOD. It's awesome having an AI that is tough, but even on easy I'm losing most of the time. :lol:

Not looking for hints or anything, but wondering if I'm just a terrible player.
Nah, they are easy, I often times max out the game with as many ai as it allows on the hardes difficulties, when you figure out how they attack and defend it becoems easy.
It's a learning process.
But c&c is defo harder than ra imo.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Tip: they will blindlessly run into your base defenses and are not yet able to snipe away your artillery with aircraft so that is the best strategy in comp stomps. They also don't expand and create additional bases so they will run out of money in the late game on most maps.

cvance2387

Post by cvance2387 »

yeah I have the same issue, it seems that I just get my base up and running and making some troops when suddenly an army is attacking my base and most of my buildings and troops are destroyed, usually about 4 minutes into the game, the "easy" AI isn't easy at all, no matter what mod your playing, regular red alert, TD or Dune. and when you surrender and it shows you the AI's base they have like 200 troops and 6 harvesters and such, where my base isn't even close to that size, and it's not like i'm just sitting there with a thumb up my ass I'm building things as soon as they're ready and i'm still getting stomped. Seems the AI really needs an overhaul.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Yeah, we need to throttle it as it builds up a lot faster than rookie players when there are enough resources at the starting point.

ddd

Post by ddd »

Try to play with competent player and then learn by watching replay after defeat. Analyze your mistakes.

cvance2387

Post by cvance2387 »

ddd wrote: Try to play with competent player and then learn by watching replay after defeat. Analyze your mistakes.
It's not so much that, I know how to play the game, I was playing it when it originally came out and it was fine, I could actually beat the AI..this one not so much, the AI is different, it's not me

Matt

Post by Matt »

That is somehow on purpose. The aim of this project is to drastically the improve the limitations of the old game. A lot of effort was put into the bots 2 stable releases ago.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

The AI is strange, to say the least. I played a co-op comp-stomp a few months ago and after the initial attack (in which the AI did actually do some surprising damage to our stuff), their behaviour seemed to slowly stagnate and eventually went full retard; they'd just send masses of units to lurk close by outside of our bases, where we could just gradually destroy it all with Artillery/V2 fire with little retaliation.

Unit158

Post by Unit158 »

The way the AI currently works is by building up a force before attacking, meaning that the Easy AI has smaller squads, allowing it to "rush" you, where as the more difficult AIs have larger squads, giving you more time to build. After awhile, they get so many options to build, they just sorta shut down. It is named HackyAI for a reason :p

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Figured I wasn't the only one bothered by this. Getting owned by Easy yet being able to stomp Normal and Hard.. haha..

Isn't there another method for the bot difficulties, though? I get that this is 'how Easy works', but.. it seems kinda.. awkward?

Also, Easy AI still likes to use super weapons.. hell, I've won one battle thusfar, and that was cause I was spamming them with artilleries.. yet BARELY, since they decided to just nuke my units and air strike 'em to all hell.

I personally think AI should be an important factor to work on, after Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 are added.

..what? I love Tiberian Sun.. >_>;;

Matt

Post by Matt »

I made some changes to AI definitions https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/4613 which are mostly cleanup yet probably require a test (also by inexperienced players) as their behavior is hard to forsee with the complex fuzzy logic involved.

Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Yeah, I seriously need to learn what github does and how it works cause I have no idea what you just did there, haha...

Still, from what I understand, it seems you're more changing 'how' the AI works, rather than giving them a true difficulty.. Not sure if that'll help out the newbies.

Though, well, could be wrong. Again, not sure how github works. >_>;