War Factories & Spies

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Zeus

War Factories & Spies

Post by Zeus »

It's been almost 15 years since I really played Red Alert, but I vaguely recall something about being able to create more than one barracks / war factory / ship yard to make the units create 2-3x faster. Am I remembering this incorrectly?

Also, I just played a multiplayer game where I could see the enemy spy as an enemy. I remember they used to appear as your own unit that you couldn't control. Is this a bug or is it intended? If it's intended, why?

Also, I'm using the beta from Jan 28th if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

epice

Post by epice »

Spies act like Red Alert 2 where you have to target enemy infantry to disguise as them.

Increased factory production was removed in future games so I guess they decided to roll with it in openRA.

Zeus

Post by Zeus »

I can see the gameplay-balancing benefit of limiting factory production because it would allow for strategies to exist other than flat-out tank rush. However, a couple things that stick out to me compared to the original game:

1. Base building seems to be simplified. Only one Barracks/War Factory/Ship Yard is needed. Kennels no longer exist. You can get by with a single airfield/helipad. I personally recommend balancing unit production in such a way that having two to three barracks or war factories is ideal, but not overpowered in such a way that it makes tank rushing easy again.

2. No longer able to click on the mini map to send a move or attack command.

3. I know this was mentioned elsewhere, but in the original when you send a move or attack command it is extremely easy to unselect your units by moving the mouse even one pixel when issuing that command. In the original there was a 5-10 pixel dead zone (i.e. as long as you didn't move your mouse more than 5-10 pixels it wouldn't deselect your units).

Also, I know that PortableRA exists, but is there a mod for OpenRA that provides the traditional base-building hierarchy and traditional units for each faction?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Zeus wrote: Also, I know that PortableRA exists, but is there a mod for OpenRA that provides the traditional base-building hierarchy and traditional units for each faction?
A classic mod is work-in-progress http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... 83&t=16023