Game grinds to a halt

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
misterblix

Game grinds to a halt

Post by misterblix »

Hi guys,

After successfully installing openRA on my mac I've played a few awesome games without any issues. However 50% of my games start out fine and then started stuttering later on and it becomes unplayable – very frustrating when you're 20 minutes into a game!

This happens playing bots so presumably it's not a network issue (or are bots playing from a server?) I'm not too clued up on crash logs and the like but the performance monitor is showing huge light blue (tick_activities?) spikes at regular intervals in quick succession. I'm playing on a reasonably new macbook pro on OSX 10.6.8 with the latest playtest, as older versions seem to stall when the program is launched. I've tried with no other programs running and I still have the same problem.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be eternally grateful! Cheers.

misterblix

Post by misterblix »

Here's how it looks... (attached)

Game will be running really smoothly for like half an hour and then suddenly BAM – everything starts stuttering and becomes unplayable!
Attachments
Performance monitor
Performance monitor
Screen shot 2012-02-15 at 15.21.28.png (319.69 KiB) Viewed 8168 times

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

This is a pathing thing. The bots are stupid about their use of the pathfinder.

misterblix

Post by misterblix »

Interesting, so in theory if I'm not playing bots then everything should run smoothly?

Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

Not just in theory ;) I get the same problem, the game starts lagging after a few minutes. It works fine without bots though.

misterblix

Post by misterblix »

Hope you guys don't mind me bumping this up the list.

Just wondered if anyone had a solution to this yet? Tried the latest version and I still get this playing against any bot after about 20 minutes. Would be great to be able to include bots in a game.

I guess this isn't a universal problem as I haven't much else about it on the forum. Can anyone suggest some tweaks I can do to prevent this happening?

Thanks

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

I can usually play up against 4+ bots, but yeah, the devs have yet to fix this issue as of the release 30 June 2012.

riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

You can try with bots on separated-islands-maps and there are even much more lag :drunk:

zypres1

Post by zypres1 »

It works on some map.. I had this problems on some maps as well. If you place a nuke in the middle of their base, it usually helps... Also try with the new AI's in latest playtest...

Matt

Post by Matt »

Probably because the AI starts ordering their massive army around at mid-game when the first wave finally arrived and died. https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/2186

misterblix

Post by misterblix »

Yeah, tried the new AI but same thing happens...

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

The day AI gets good is the day Single-player kicks off and gets interesting, so I hope this is fixed :D